Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"safe" tire stores for your X or S in SF east bay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently due to my driving tendencies, I need new tires at 13.5k miles. Tesla has very few options and a slight upcharge on whatever they do have. So I am looking at other options such as Costco or even America's Tires. The jacking procedure doesn't seem that complicated, however, I'd hate to be the first Tesla that's available for someone to experiment on.
Any insight on bay area stores would be much appreciated.

I had a nail hole patched on my Roadster earlier this year. Went to the local Les Schwab Tires here in Auburn, with some trepidation... I told the sales associate that if the car wasn't jacked properly that they could total the car, and that got their attention!

Service manager did the repair, all properly (he was familiar with the issue) while I watched from a distance, and all went well. Happy customer.

I'm getting new tires at Costco here in SD this week. I made almost 20k miles on mine. They said they've done a lot of Teslas. I hope it will be fine. If it's not, I'll be sure to post back. But what is the problem with being "jacked properly"?

I'm getting new tires at Costco here in SD this week. I made almost 20k miles on mine. They said they've done a lot of Teslas. I hope it will be fine. If it's not, I'll be sure to post back. But what is the problem with being "jacked properly"?

I'm not an expert on this, but there are specific points for them to lift the car...if they lift in the wrong place they can severely damage the battery pack. If you have SAS (which I guess is required on a SP90D?) they need to set Very High suspension and Jack mode (to prevent the car from trying to level itself when it's on the lift). It's all in the owner's manual (p. 158 on the hardcopy sheet I have in front of me).

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: JenniferQ
Several owners (myself included) have had good experiences at America's Tire Store in Walnut Creek.

Walnut Creek area tire shop recommendations

Bruce.

I second Bruce's recommendation. I have had my older S there for new tires and interval rotations. They are nice, professional (...but they do like their music in the shop loud...:), focused on tires (no upsell for brakes, alignment, etc), efficient. No worries working on the S (they have the Jack Mode and proper blocking down). I would maybe go in with a very good idea of what tire you want, and call first to see if they have the tires (as some sizes/brands are special order). Also get a matching price from Tire Rack--they will honor as appropriate. You can make an appointment by phone or on line. All good.