Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to buy used 2020 Model S Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WSBKing420

Yazzi Da Grate
Apr 19, 2021
NYC
I currently have a 21 Model 3 Performance, my lease is ending soon so I need a new car. I'm considering the 2020 Model S Performance, the 2nd Gen pre interior refresh. I believe it also comes with MCU2. Can anybody with that car advise on whether it's a reliable purchase? I heard they're more reliable than the interior refresh versions but idk.

I am looking at switching up possibly as well. I have a 19 M3 SR+ and a 2023 MYP that I share with the wife and am considering trading/selling the 3 for something bigger and able to go longer on road trips. I'm looking at Raven MS (which I think is 2019-2021?). Are there any known differences in reliability between the trims? My M3 has been straight reliable with zero mechanical issues--would I expect similar reliability? Since I am looking at range more than speed, it seems like the Long Range Plus would be the best?

I am hoping it would not feel like a downgrade with the legacy UI but I highly doubt it since the MS is their flagship sedan. I am seeing though that I would lose out on some convenience things such as side camera repeaters triggering with turn signals and auto cancel of turn signals. Not deal breakers by any means, but it seems odd Tesla would not add this to their flagship sedan.

The performance S has a larger rear drive unit. It has been a perennial problem in the older cars with an internal coolant seal that fails and ruins the motor/inverter. I'm not sure if the raven cars still have this flaw. The LR has a smaller rear drive unit that doesn't have this potential problem.

Otherwise the cars are mechanically identical and should be equally reliable.

Reactions: itch808
I am looking at switching up possibly as well. I have a 19 M3 SR+ and a 2023 MYP that I share with the wife and am considering trading/selling the 3 for something bigger and able to go longer on road trips. I'm looking at Raven MS (which I think is 2019-2021?). Are there any known differences in reliability between the trims? My M3 has been straight reliable with zero mechanical issues--would I expect similar reliability? Since I am looking at range more than speed, it seems like the Long Range Plus would be the best?

I am hoping it would not feel like a downgrade with the legacy UI but I highly doubt it since the MS is their flagship sedan. I am seeing though that I would lose out on some convenience things such as side camera repeaters triggering with turn signals and auto cancel of turn signals. Not deal breakers by any means, but it seems odd Tesla would not add this to their flagship sedan.
Im looking at the 21 MS Performance which is Raven, I'm assuming, and I'm pretty sure it comes with MCU2 so it should have all the same features when it comes to the side cameras and auto cancel turn signals.

The performance S has a larger rear drive unit. It has been a perennial problem in the older cars with an internal coolant seal that fails and ruins the motor/inverter. I'm not sure if the raven cars still have this flaw. The LR has a smaller rear drive unit that doesn't have this potential problem.

Otherwise the cars are mechanically identical and should be equally reliable.

Where can I read more about this? I tried a google search but came up with nothing. I just test drove a 2023 MS LR and fell in love but I can't stand the turn signals/stalkless wheel and horn "button". Plus I am not sure it's worth the "value" they are asking. A used Raven LR+ or Performance seems like a better bargain. And I won't be fumbling ever second trying to signal.

Where can I read more about this? I tried a google search but came up with nothing. I just test drove a 2023 MS LR and fell in love but I can't stand the turn signals/stalkless wheel and horn "button". Plus I am not sure it's worth the "value" they are asking. A used Raven LR+ or Performance seems like a better bargain. And I won't be fumbling ever second trying to signal.

The lack of stalks is annoying at first, but after 6+ months of driving, the lack of stalks is annoying.

The lack of stalks is annoying at first, but after 6+ months of driving, the lack of stalks is annoying.

The haptic buttons are just....not right. I've ridden motorcycles for several years and it's easier to signal with numb fingers in 35F weather going 80mph with thick winter gloves. They need to do away with touch sensitive buttons. Going to try test drive a Raven MS tomorrow as a father's day present to myself :)

The haptic buttons are just....not right. I've ridden motorcycles for several years and it's easier to signal with numb fingers in 35F weather going 80mph with thick winter gloves. They need to do away with touch sensitive buttons. Going to try test drive a Raven MS tomorrow as a father's day present to myself :)

And now I heard they are doing the same mistake to the high volume 3 and Y!

There are a few threads on the forum. This is a good place to start:

Reactions: itch808