Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety performance for non-AP/FSD buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cloxxki

Aug 20, 2016
Rotterdam
What can we reasonably expect?

Say, the driver has a fit on the highway, does the car sense it before traffic issues arize, and take over? Pull over with emergency lights blinking? AP cars drive to the destination with minimum input from the driver. AP2.5 will (should) notice the driver is not OK. You'd expect a 911 call, but will it?

If the fit happens mid-corner on a busy intersection leading into a busier street, will FSD take over and call 911 while heading for a hospital? Sound an alarm? Unlock doors to helpers?

I kind of expect the performance we've seen of the Dutch Model S seeing a head-tail pile-up happening before it unfolded, braking while sounding the alarm before handing over to the driver. If it can't do this, IMO it's a fail. The former features, I kind of expect. If Tesla wants to make true on their own high safety standards... Just need to figure out how to make sure owners don't abuse it to get a free FSD ride to impress friends with. The automated 911 call should perhaps happen the moment the car feels it should take over, or saw the accident occuring.
"This is the Tesla emergency caller, I just recorded a multi-car pile-up at road X in direction Y at mile marker Z. Estimate at least minor injuries and incapacitated vehicles, please respond as you deem necessary based on this report. Tesla out".

"This is the Tesla emergency caller, my driver seems unrespensive to my attempts to get their eyes on the road. Medical emergency is feared. My location and haeding are...please instruct verbally whether to pull over or rush to a hospital, and if so which."

what-meme-1-what-meme.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Cloxxki
Your scenario is too advanced for now.

Autopilot and Self-driving are still in its very infancy.

I'll be glad if it can reliably brake to a stop on its own to avoid an accident.
Agree, it might be another feature that improves as time goes by. Even though it's not a paid option.

But once the FSD is truly there, how much will they utilize as a safety feature? Imagine you worked at a company that had just achieved FSD, and tasked you with compiling an unpaid safety package based off it, what would you offer? All you possibly could in the name of safety, or just a few bits and bobs as long as it's better than the nearest rivals offer?