Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety restraint system fault - Fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the way their process is to order complete seat just in case they need to replace it. If they can fix the issue without seat replacement, they won’t replace the seat. I believe they want to ensure that the car doesn’t keep sitting in the service center if seat replacement is required and they don’t have it in stock. That wrong even diagnose the issue without getting the seat in stock.
I understand the process and why the service appointments have been rescheduled and I appreciate the reasoning for not leaving my car sitting all alone in a service bay for an extended period.

However, it's disheartening that the car identifies the issue as a safety issue and Tesla cannot resource its own part for what will soon be a month since I reported the problem.

Finally, this issue has been resolved. I received a message in the app last Tuesday 5\2 that the service was scheduled for 5\6 at 8:15AM. So, I left home this morning at 6AM for the 8:15 appoitment. The service department was going to have me come back Monday. I told the service writer I thought it would be done today. He checked with the service department and was told the car could be repaired by 5PM.

Just before 10:30 I received a message the work was complete.

The fix was the seat assembly.

How did you go about getting your appointment scheduled? I have been getting "RCM_a093 Safety restraint system fault service is required" on and off for about 3 months. However in the Tesla app no error pops up and I am forced to use the "Other" category. This seems to really send the Tesla service people into the weeds. When I try to message them they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about and just keep telling me to make sure my car is updated.

I honestly can't believe that the Tesla service app has no category for a driver warning message.

HI -

I have a 2019 Model 3 that is out of warranty as of April 20th.

Last year, I got the "Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault" and it was fixed under warranty. They fixed it by adding "Part - Service Kit OCS REWORK 1479982-00-C) which was described as "Instal Occupant Classification System Filter Module"

I had no issues until late last week when the alert returned again.

The estimate is $1260 and the item charges are as follows:
Replace Front Passenger Seat OCS Component while servicing subcomponents: Labor $195, Parts $185
Parts: 1st Row Assembly Harness - 148906096-F, 1st Row Occupancy Sensor - 1099592-00-F, and !R SBR Box Clip - 1130363-00B.

Update Front Passenger Airbag to Maintain Compatibly with front passenger seat. Labor $310, Parts $490
They are wanting to put a new airbag in the car.

I reached out to service center to clarify why I needed a new airbag. They said "the airbag must be replaced in sequence with the other seat component that needs to be fixed as these two components rely on each other and require compatibility for the SRS system to function as intended"

They claim the issue is different than the issue the car had last year. I am trying to get the airbag half (~60%) waived, so it would be about $400 to fix the issue. I don't want to pay almost $1300 just to get a sensor to turn off but I also want the passenger (should there be one) to be safe.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any advice on how to proceed? I thought that Tesla would have to cover the airbag half for sure if they were changing something about the car because it is safety related.

How did you go about getting your appointment scheduled? I have been getting "RCM_a093 Safety restraint system fault service is required" on and off for about 3 months. However in the Tesla app no error pops up and I am forced to use the "Other" category. This seems to really send the Tesla service people into the weeds. When I try to message them they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about and just keep telling me to make sure my car is updated.

I honestly can't believe that the Tesla service app has no category for a driver warning message.
I believe I used the "Other" category and just listed the error as it appeared on the screen. My appointment was delayed a few times and it was always because the seat wasn't available , so my local service center knew what the issue was and what part was needed.

HI -

I have a 2019 Model 3 that is out of warranty as of April 20th.

Last year, I got the "Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault" and it was fixed under warranty. They fixed it by adding "Part - Service Kit OCS REWORK 1479982-00-C) which was described as "Instal Occupant Classification System Filter Module"

I had no issues until late last week when the alert returned again.

The estimate is $1260 and the item charges are as follows:
Replace Front Passenger Seat OCS Component while servicing subcomponents: Labor $195, Parts $185
Parts: 1st Row Assembly Harness - 148906096-F, 1st Row Occupancy Sensor - 1099592-00-F, and !R SBR Box Clip - 1130363-00B.

Update Front Passenger Airbag to Maintain Compatibly with front passenger seat. Labor $310, Parts $490
They are wanting to put a new airbag in the car.

I reached out to service center to clarify why I needed a new airbag. They said "the airbag must be replaced in sequence with the other seat component that needs to be fixed as these two components rely on each other and require compatibility for the SRS system to function as intended"

They claim the issue is different than the issue the car had last year. I am trying to get the airbag half (~60%) waived, so it would be about $400 to fix the issue. I don't want to pay almost $1300 just to get a sensor to turn off but I also want the passenger (should there be one) to be safe.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any advice on how to proceed? I thought that Tesla would have to cover the airbag half for sure if they were changing something about the car because it is safety related.
My code is RCM_056 in case this helps anyone else in the future.

So there is different issues that can cause this error. Usually it depends on how the error pops up. Mine would only show up if i raised the seat while driving. If this is how yours behaves it's probably a motor interference issue. Adding the Ferrite Core filters will help. You want to add them to the motor wires. Maybe 2 on the up and down motor(that seems to be the worst). Then you want at least one on the sensor for the driver/passenger weight. That the thinner/thinnest cable coming from the center of the seat. It doesn't hurt to add extra. I added like 12 Ferrite filters and have not had the error come back.

If you randomly are getting the errors popping up while driving then its either the weight sensor or the cable. The weight sensor can be pulled from another seat but tesla won't sell it to you. it's really easy to swap. You could source a doner seat from ebay.

You can also try cleaning the contacts on the cables with electrical cleaner spray. Not easy to do without taking the seat out. Wouldn't hurt to check the plugs as well, adjust any pins that might be out of alignment.

I got the error msg on my 2018 M3 LR and I am quoted $596.69.
I am telling them NOT to do anything with that, I cannot trust them to not charge me the full amount when all they might do is adjust a wire.
Also my 12v battery needs replacement, only $108.40 for that🙂

Have this same issue - being told the wiring harness has to be replaced and will cost $601!

1689117607669.png

1689117649567.png
1689117657343.png

I think you may need to speak with a manager at the service center to include this in the safety restraint system warranty coverage. I read in this and some other forums that some owners were able to have this included in the restraint system warranty
If I could prove this somehow it would be more helpful - but I cannot seem to find anyone saying as much. Any links you could point me to by any chance? I've only found a handful of people who have tried, like me, unsuccessfully to have it covered under the SRS limited warranty.

If I could prove this somehow it would be more helpful - but I cannot seem to find anyone saying as much. Any links you could point me to by any chance? I've only found a handful of people who have tried, like me, unsuccessfully to have it covered under the SRS limited warranty.
Found a thread where an owner got it fixed under warranty by visiting a different service center and speaking with the manager. Attaching screenshots.

Attachments

• IMG_8171.jpeg
    IMG_8171.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8170.png
    IMG_8170.png
    226 KB · Views: 96
My 2019 M3 dual motor had was well out of warranty. I was able to pin point the issue and fixed it myself. I can share the fix that worked in my case if you are out of luck with Tesla covering it under the restraint warranty. This is bizarre btw, you have only passed the 50k mile warranty by just 30 miles.

My 2019 M3 dual motor had was well out of warranty. I was able to pin point the issue and fixed it myself. I can share the fix that worked in my case if you are out of luck with Tesla covering it under the restraint warranty. This is bizarre btw, you have only passed the 50k mile warranty by just 30 miles.
Please do share how you fixed yours. I am out of the mileage warranty by 30 miles, but I am past the 4 years by 9 months, having purchased my car in October 2018. So the mileage doesn't matter. Maybe I will try another service center...

Please do share how you fixed yours. I am out of the mileage warranty by 30 miles, but I am past the 4 years by 9 months, having purchased my car in October 2018. So the mileage doesn't matter. Maybe I will try another service center...
In my case, the wire connecting a sensor to seat belt pretensioner was partially cut off. This most likely happened because I had set the seat position to its highest point in the easy entry profile.
To find out if it’s the same issue for you, raise the seat forward and to the highest setting. Look under the the bottom left of the seat from the back side, you will see the wires. I can share some pictures if you cannot locate the sensor.

In my case, the wire connecting a sensor to seat belt pretensioner was partially cut off. This most likely happened because I had set the seat position to its highest point in the easy entry profile.
To find out if it’s the same issue for you, raise the seat forward and to the highest setting. Look under the the bottom left of the seat from the back side, you will see the wires. I can share some pictures if you cannot locate the sensor.
Last night I went out and lifted the seat all the way up. Went under from both the front and back and pushed in any plug i could find that seemed like a push plug. This morning I took the car out and the message was gone. Made 5-6 small trips today and it has not come back. Hoping something was slightly loose and i resolved it. I probably pushed in the sensor plug you're referencing. I remember one from the back side did seem to go in a bit when i pushed on it.

Last night I went out and lifted the seat all the way up. Went under from both the front and back and pushed in any plug i could find that seemed like a push plug. This morning I took the car out and the message was gone. Made 5-6 small trips today and it has not come back. Hoping something was slightly loose and i resolved it. I probably pushed in the sensor plug you're referencing. I remember one from the back side did seem to go in a bit when i pushed on it.
Good to know. In my case, massage would disappear at a certain seat height and would come back when I would lower the seat from that height. My wife told me to adjust my driver profile to the seat height where massage won’t appear. But I didn’t want to do that coz it was uncomfortable for me to drive the car at that level.

Good to know. In my case, massage would disappear at a certain seat height and would come back when I would lower the seat from that height. My wife told me to adjust my driver profile to the seat height where massage won’t appear. But I didn’t want to do that coz it was uncomfortable for me to drive the car at that level.
I spoke too soon. Wife drove the car and it came back today. Same thing with my case. When I raise the seat almost all the way up, message dissapears. When I lower it an inch from the top-most position, message appears. Any chance you could share the pictures of what you did to fix yours? I tried booking a service appt at another service center and the quote is the same $600 and they are also saying not covered under SRS limited warranty.