Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI, I did receive 4.1 from the play store and now I have another update pending. I'm kind of scared to click on it though as I appear to be the only one around here who received the update to 4.1 directly from the play store.View attachment 717011

It went on the store a couple of days ago. Only showed up if you search Tesla on Google Play. Now it should be auto update for everyone.

Has anyone noticed, if we let the car brake itself on full regen without touching the brake pedal, can it ding the braking score? I have a feeling it happened to me once or twice, but not 100% sure. What is the experience with the others? Is it safe to leave the regen at "STANDARD" not to ding the score? Let us know.

Yes, on one short drive I was dinged for jumping off the peddle to full regen. I was surprised I got a hard braking %. I suppose it make sense since it goes by G force.

Reactions: Nakk and r1200gs4ok
It went on the store a couple of days ago. Only showed up if you search Tesla on Google Play. Now it should be auto update for everyone.
Mine showed up in my update notifications (Play app profile pict then 'Manage App and Device').
However, on the PC web browser Tesla - Apps on Google Play
it is still the old one (4.0.2-657) even after getting a new page (cntl F5)

Reactions: rxlawdude
I finally got around to testing where to. Or full regen will count as hard braking. I did several 0-60 runs on a flat surface, and when I hit 60 I completely removed my foot from the accelerator and let the car come to a stop by itself. Did not trigger any hard braking. I also tried getting removing my foot from the accelerator at 30 and 45 mph (and it felt like it was braking harder at those speeds) but still no dings for hard braking.

im still convinced there is some scenario where regen will cause a hard braking event (maybe going downhill) but I’m not gonna test it any further.
Btw, this was done in my 2021 Y. I will try in my 2018 3 and see what happens there…I believe the 3 slows down a little bit harder then the Y under full regen.

Reactions: TheOx
I’ve done the same thing in a 3, and didn’t get dinged from full acceleration to full regen
The question is how does it handle going downhill - on different regen settings.

May be I should download an accelerometer app and figure out the g-force when going down the hill maintaining the speed and slowly coming to a stop (when using our other car).

I'm trying to figure out whether I can go down the hill to "low lands". 500" in 1 mile.

ps : That seems to be about 10% gradient.

Last edited:
The question is how does it handle going downhill - on different regen settings.

May be I should download an accelerometer app and figure out the g-force when going down the hill maintaining the speed and slowly coming to a stop (when using our other car).

I'm trying to figure out whether I can go down the hill to "low lands". 500" in 1 mile.

As someone pointed out earlier, I don’t really understand why going downhill would increase hard braking events. Gravity would be pulling you forward while you get 0.2gs of regen on decel. So if the hill was steep enough, even with max regen, the car wouldn’t slow at all.

Traffic Fatality or Hard Braking….

2018 Model 3, FSD, Dual Motor, Long Range, 2021.32.22, 93K miles

Traveling ~70mph in NOA on Rte 80 in PA heading to Penn State, traffic slowing and stopped ahead for road construction and merge to single lane. NOA Slow, Slow! NOA Brake…. Brake NOA Brake! OK, traffic fatality or take a Hard Braking Hit. Held out as long as I could, I slammed on the brakes and took the hit on Safety Score. The car never slowed or braked in NOA. Even Anti lock briefly kicked in. I’m not sure why the radar didn’t pick up the slowing and stopped traffic.

Normally I would have disengaged way earlier, but Safety Score may ding you for manual braking. NOA/AP/TACC’s got this anyway, they’ll slow and stop, NOT! Don’t touch the brake pedal or swerve, you’ll take a hit. We don’t care the system failed, or you had an emergency, you are getting dinged. Sure enough score took a hit.

Ohhh that Pavlov, I never did like him. In my case I’m only doing this to help science and advance a greater good, I’m not doing it for the FSD reward. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it, I don’t even know how to spell FSD, let alone what it is... LOL. So be careful out there and keep those safety scores up.

I have the video of the incident, couldn’t figure out how to load a video to the forum.
Somehow they should be rewarding ‘good’ interventions. I’d be fine if they rewarded any disengagement due to the driver breaking.

Reactions: Raiders

I downloaded a G-force app and tested this on steep hills around my house. Downhill, I seem to be maxing out at 0.25g at full regen. LR RWD M3

Looks like the Safety Score is no longer of any use for the time being, at least for me.

7 days, for me, was up yesterday and I’ve been on several drives today and while it shows Oct 2 has one of the daily data dates, it also says there have been no drive at all.

Even if it wasn’t counting until the next batch it might be an interesting data point, but I don’t get anything from it anymore.

Reactions: TheOx
Looks like the Safety Score is no longer of any use for the time being, at least for me.

7 days, for me, was up yesterday and I’ve been on several drives today and while it shows Oct 2 has one of the daily data dates, it also says there have been no drive at all.

Even if it wasn’t counting until the next batch it might be an interesting data point, but I don’t get anything from it anymore.

I have drives that counted today, which is my 8th day.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200

business as usual here on day 8. I did hear there have been some DNS issues impacting Slack yesterday. Maybe you don't have a working route to Tesla's safety score servers? *shrug*

You could try an alternate DNS server for your home internet connection to test... Something like 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8.

I think the score was frozen late Thursday night or early Friday. My score was moving predictably after every drive while I was moving back up from 53. By Friday early AM it was 92 and has just been stuck there ever Since.

Reactions: jeremymc7
Has anyone noticed, if we let the car brake itself on full regen without touching the brake pedal, can it ding the braking score? I have a feeling it happened to me once or twice, but not 100% sure. What is the experience with the others? Is it safe to leave the regen at "STANDARD" not to ding the score? Let us know.
Yes! I switched to "LOW" regen and haven't had a problem. But suddenly letting up on the accelerator with normal regen can trigger a "hard" braking score, especially on hills or at high speed.

Reactions: Nakk

I find closing and reopening the app fixes this.

And why is that? My new daily scores Are all 100 since last Sunday. That has brought the score up predictably daily since hitting 52/53 last Saturday mid-day?
If your new scores are 100 and your trips aren't really short, your score should be increasing.

If your new score was 92, the the mileage weighted combination with your current score of 92 would equal 92.

Has anyone tried opting out (turning off "the button") and then back in? Does it reset your score?

I made the mistake of trusting that AP wouldn't count against me on 200 miles of driving the first couple days and must have had following on too close. Got me a lot of miles at 85-88 score.

Just curious. If we have another 7 days until the next software release, I'd be ok with starting over now that we know what we think we know.
I'll answer my own question, as I really didn't have anything to lose by trying it. I "opted out" of the FSD Beta program by hitting "the button" and selecting "opt out." Then I went for a few minute drive. Then I opted back in and went for a few more minutes of driving.

It basically just didn't record the drive between opting out and in, but all other data (before and after) seemed to stay intact. Still calculating my score from 25 Sep - 2 Oct.