Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sailun eRange EV Tire line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
theganjaguru: What size? $1500 "out the door" seems high to me, depending on the size, of course. Sidewall says Vietnam, not China...

I look forward to updates from you.

(New tires [thicker rubber] always feel better than worn out tires. Just sayin') ;)
I have the turbines, so: 255/40ZR20

Like I said, EV focused tires are an arm and a leg. I paid $261.99 before taxes, fees and warranty.

Look to the prices of other EV specific tires on TireRack. Prices range from $289-$348 for the Goodyear F1 (OEM being the latter priced). Cheapest EV specific tire being $289 Goodyear. Prices go all the way to $500+ per tire, so yeah I think $1500 out the door was a great price.

I will say the only car I’ve replaced with another set of OEM tires was my i3 and that’s because that car has some ver thin and uncommon tire sizes. Because typically OEM tires are trash. When I had my Tacoma, I replaced the OEM tire with Goodyear Fortera. Excellent tire.

Agree new rubber always makes a difference but these tires make this car drive better than when new. Drive to LA last night and was roughly 3% more efficient than my last drive.

Oh and I stand corrected. Vietnam. But Sailun is a Chinese company

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger on Sailun EV tires last week at 30K miles (2021 LR 19' RIMs). There is a tire shop in Bay Area that deals in wholesale and has great prices. I got my set for $980.00 out the door with free 5K mile rotations and flat repairs. DM me if you need info. on the tire shop, not sure I'm allowed to post business names here. Big O in Livermore wanted $1312 for same tires.

My impressions: My old tires still had 5/32 left on 'em, could've kept them for another 5K miles. Only reason for changing was tire damage too close to side wall for repair. Point is I didn't go from nearly bald tires to new ones. After 250 miles on Sailuns, ride is significantly quieter. Bumps are still there, but more muted. My wife noticed it immediately too, So I don't think I'm imagining things :). Haven't noticed any change in the grip, of course no wet driving yet.

Will report on range after 1K miles -

Reactions: syc1
SERV: Good to know there are several here trying out the Sailun tires vs. traditional legacy tires.

No, you're not imagining things. Going from 9/32" to 5/32" tread depth is enough difference to be softer, "more muted." I think the OEM ContiProContacts, like most tires, got significantly harsher when reduced to half their tread depth. I'm hearing/feeling the same thing with 15k miles on my Michelin PilotSport A/S4 tires. Sidewalls seem softer, but the "slap" from concrete cracks seems to be increasing. Or...I'm just "imagining things."

I look forward to hearing how the Sailun tires age.

Good to hear they aren't worse. But yes, replacing with OEM would likely restore the ride quality as well. If these tires can meet or beat OEM in any category, they're a winner.

$980 out the door isn't bad. The 19" version is under $200/ea wholesale, so that pricing is in line with what you'd expect. 20" is only 20 bucks more per tire on my end. To the guy that paid $1500... that shop made a ton on markup. But when you consider the whole market for EV tires, it could be worse.

Just now I ordered a set for my wife's 2019 Ioniq EV. (205/55-16) I'll take some pics and post my findings here. She will be coming from some worn Michelin Energy Saver tires that the car came with. This size isn't really comparable to anything that Tesla offers but I'll be happy to provide a general consensus on if it's a decent tire or not. :)

Reactions: SERV
Slapped them on the Ioniq tonight. After driving around, the compound honestly feels very similar to the Michelin Energy Savers the car used to have. Low traction, high efficiency. Almost feels like a foam-like compound. Not hard... but not "sticky" either.

Definitely a better ride than the outgoing tires, but I also got a smoother ride when I swapped a new set of Michelin X-Ices on last Fall as well. The Sailuns are definitely cushy and quiet. No complaints there.

And since this tire size doesn't really have anything to do with the Tesla sizes - this might all be moot, but it is good to see if the tire is *at least* as good as the Michelins it replaced.

I'm sure they aren't nearly as good as the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s that come on the MYP, (Or the 19" Contis or 20" Goodyears...) so anyone going to a set of Sailuns would likely lose some dynamics and wet handling, but so far I'm happy for the price since we're only keeping this Hyundai another year.

Oh, and the sidewall design is really cool for a tire of this price. It has the same "velour" feeling behind the "ERANGE EV ECO.SPHERE" text that the high-end Michelins have now. It's really soft and feels like an exact match to the sidewall texture on my MYP tires.

IMG_3605.jpeg
IMG_3606.jpeg

So I've driven my Y on these Sailun eRange EV tires for about 2000 miles now. Performing well, rides quieter than OEM (think they were Michelins), I don't hear sharp bumps nearly as much. I don't track my efficiency or charge to 100%, so can't comment on improved range.

A new set of Michelins would reduce the road noise too. I don't think these Sailuns are going to beat Michelin in that, but the fact that they are new vs. worn is what is causing the reduction in road noise.
I believe this too.

When I switched from Conti to CC2, I thought it was softer and quieter. Once I switched back to Conti few months ago, again, I felt Conti was softer and quieter. I'll be switching back to CC2 again for this coming winter, so I'm going to see if I'll feel this again. 😅

Better off driving slower. I would only put the best on my car as it’s the one thing between you and the object in front of you.
I find it interesting those of you who are early adopters of Tesla and EVs want to shoot down a new product before doing any research. I am not promoting these tires, but the say NO, without even looking at them? Really. "A closed mind is like a close parachute"

I have gone through 2 sets of the OEM Michelin tires, which according to a lot of people on here are the "BEST" I call BS. Traction sucks, when they wear down to 50% they are loud, in any snow they are useless.

Maybe I will put a set on my M3 and give some honest feedback.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
I just had these Sailun ERrange EV tires installed on my 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD with 19" Sport RIms. Only have 450 miles on them but definitely quieter and improved efficiency (averaging 229 WH/mi so far, 90% has been on the freeway in So Cal).
I was averaging about 270 WH/mi on the stock Continentals, got a set of Perreli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus 2 in July 2021 and averaged about 265 WH/mi and got 43,000 miles out them over 27 months.
Im excited to see what I can get out of these. Im not quite sure if the 45,000 rating is based on a normal ICE car or an EV (Im assuming EV since these are EV specific)

Got these Sailun's today and I now notice a humming sound at higher speeds, Not sure if it's break in period or maybe bad balancing by the techs. I got these + alignment and the hum is so loud at 60-80mph. Going to see tech again to make sure they balanced them right. I see online people say it could be wheel bearings but my last tires didn't sound like that and they weren't loud enough they'd "cover up" a bad wheel bearing so not sure what the deal is. The ride is nice though and handles well in snow.

The latest Sailun tires here made in China suit for Model Y is called"Liquid Gold", 255-45-20 version worth 1499 in RMB (209USD). Gonna try it in my MYLR and see the difference.
-by Shanghai Tesla enthusiast.View attachment 1012345
I’m by no means a tire expert, but that tread pattern doesn’t feel confidence inspiring for rain or snow. While it has the large grooves up/down, the rest seems way too flat to do much other than hydroplane. Nor does it have as many “sipes” to catch snow for traction.

The tread pattern from the post from June seems better in that respects, unless these new tires are summer tires (which still has issues with rain).

Reactions: Stan930
I’m by no means a tire expert, but that tread pattern doesn’t feel confidence inspiring for rain or snow. While it has the large grooves up/down, the rest seems way too flat to do much other than hydroplane. Nor does it have as many “sipes” to catch snow for traction.

The tread pattern from the post from June seems better in that respects, unless these new tires are summer tires (which still has issues with rain).
You're right - but that Chinese market Sailun is probably a summer tire. The ERange we get here is a bit more all-season. (Still a horrible snow tire, but most all-seasons are in my opinion)

Got these Sailun's today and I now notice a humming sound at higher speeds, Not sure if it's break in period or maybe bad balancing by the techs. I got these + alignment and the hum is so loud at 60-80mph. Going to see tech again to make sure they balanced them right. I see online people say it could be wheel bearings but my last tires didn't sound like that and they weren't loud enough they'd "cover up" a bad wheel bearing so not sure what the deal is. The ride is nice though and handles well in snow.
Experiencing the exact same “hum” on my 2021 MYP - the worst being around 64mph. Let me know if you got it solved, but it sounds like it might just be these tires…