Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales after Brexit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Maybe I should just "get my coat" now, having mentioned the B word, but surely is going to have a significant impact on sales due to changes in import taxes etc. Could people waiting for deliveries be affected even after an order has been placed? I suspect if total payment has not yet been made this could well be the case.

The government has published a list of "no deal" tariffs, which puts 10% on electric vehicles. Which is (I believe) the same as the current EU import duty we're already paying. So no change there then.

Obviously there's a slight question mark over what happens if they come in via Zebrugge as at present, but I would expect either they'll be "temporary imports" paying no EU duties as they're going straight out again or worst case they'll just have to stay on the ship and it'll go on to a UK port and offload the RHD vehicles there. Either way I wouldn't expect it to make a significant difference in the grand scheme of things.

Perhaps more interesting would be the longer term future with a european gigafactory vs a free trade deal with the US might make things cheaper one way or the other, but we're talking a couple of years down the line either way I'd expect.

Can't really see a reason for a significant short term (i.e. 2019/2020) impact whatever happens.

Jeez, it's frustrating enough dealing with the uncertainty, imponderables and radio silence from Tesla on Model 3 orders without factoring Brexit into the equation. Two topics that do have some remarkable similarities though:

1. We have no actual idea what's happening with them.
2. Nor do those who are apparently responsible for them.

I'm just going to hide under a duvet until both issues have been resolved.

Jeez, it's frustrating enough dealing with the uncertainty, imponderables and radio silence from Tesla on Model 3 orders without factoring Brexit into the equation. Two topics that do have some remarkable similarities though:

1. We have no actual idea what's happening with them.
2. Nor do those who are apparently responsible for them.

I'm just going to hide under a duvet until both issues have been resolved.
And which will be resolved first, the back stop or the towbar?

Also hiding under the duvet. Or escaping to Scandinavia.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 15.41.24.png

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
The government has published a list of "no deal" tariffs, which puts 10% on electric vehicles. Which is (I believe) the same as the current EU import duty we're already paying. So no change there then.

Are sure that's right ? The EU will levy a 10% tariff on all cars entering the EU once we leave but we have the option of reducing the tariff on cars entering the UK from 10% to 0% if we want. So Tesla's may go down in price.

Maybe I should just "get my coat" now, having mentioned the B word, but surely is going to have a significant impact on sales due to changes in import taxes etc. Could people waiting for deliveries be affected even after an order has been placed? I suspect if total payment has not yet been made this could well be the case.

Well Tesla are quite strict with price changes, so if you have ordered I would expect to get the car at the ordered price if they change their prices up then your not going to be able to amend without a price change.

Both Evs and ICE cars will be affected by any taxes and currency fluctuations only cars made in the UK (don't know if exists?) would likely have any benefit if taxes/currencies rates are affected.

EU car import tariff: 10%.
WTO car import tariff 10%.

S and X, which have Dutch wheel fitters, would be directly affected by no deal.
3 already has 10% tariff, so shouldn't be any major effect.

Currency changes are likely to have a bigger effect. At least when I visit family things seem cheaper to me.

Last edited: