Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salty...[comment about tone of posts]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to TMC, and I am really surprised by the level of salty, sarcastic and negative comments in almost every topic - is that a Tesla thing?

I don't know why, this topic made me chuckle. It has a level of innocence to it that I I think is swell.
If anything, I have found the general tone here quite tame compared with most public forums.

I am new to TMC, and I am really surprised by the level of salty, sarcastic and negative comments in almost every topic - is that a Tesla thing?

Its actually not that bad here compared to many other places online, but its a "discussion forum" thing, and absolutely not a "tesla thing". Either you havent been a member of very many forums before (or in the past few years), or you expected this one to be different from the others you had been a member of previously, and it isnt.

The main difference I see here (vs a few other car type forums) is:

1. A few people are almost pathological in their need to defend tesla from pretty much every slight. This is a bit different than some other car forums. My speculation is that this is financially motivated for some.

2. A few people are almost pathological in their need to slander tesla for pretty much every slight. This is a bit different than other car forums. My speculation is that this is either financially motivated, or, alternatively, because they "were wronged" and want to do everything they can to "stir up !!@$"

3. Most people fall in the middle, with some things they like and some they dont, like almost every other forum.

4. This forum in general has some very technical people who belong to it, so many times discussions / debates will turn very technical in nature.

Thats pretty much it, ... TL ; DR there are outliers on both a FOR and Against tesla stance, most are in the middle and some conversations turn very technical.

EDIT: One more thing... show me a forum without any disagreements happening, and I will show you a dead forum, because they tend to be one and the same thing. Disagreements can be healthy and spur knowledge gathering, as long as they are respectful of each other (which many times doesnt happen).

I would say that most of the folks here are helpful to
a fault. There are a number of questions that get asked over
and over. We do interject a little humor, or what ever you call it.
The search function can save you time and humor. But I can say
I never met a jack and coke I did not like.

• Love
Reactions: Dre78 and chrstna4
OP have you been on other car forums? This is actually one of the tamer car enthusiast forums and more objective from my experience. Check out the Taycan forum, they hate Teslas so much they post flat out lies about them. Never seen so much delusion...

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki
Very odd comment. I would have said the opposite. Most Tesla owners find their way, first, to Tesla’s own forums. It’s brutal there. Here, the moderators run a fairly tight ship, and so the commentary is extremely mild compared to any other Internet forum I’ve ever been to.
I understand that slang has different meanings in different geographical regions, but I take “salty” language to be swearing. I’ve never seen that here. Putting that in the subject line, I assumed someone must be trolling, because I’ve never seen “salty” language in this forum.

Last edited:
It seems to happen with every internet forum on a technical topic which allows anonymous posting under assumed names. There is a certain amount of arrogance that goes along with a little knowledge on a narrow topi, which becomes toxic when expressed from behind a mask. i recall the early days of the Compuserve forums (yes, i'm that old), when everyone had to register under their real names and could be traced by account number. People were so polite.

I’m going to say internet/forum thing. People behind a keyboard will say things they would never in a thousand years say to someone’s face.

Rarely do I ever find myself benefiting from the input of rude/salty commenters, so I just ignore them all together. :)

upload_2021-2-23_19-57-9.jpeg