Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling a little salty about my purchase.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the complaint thread, but I'm a bit salty right now. I hope you all can bear with me.

I posted a couple days ago about my door not opening fully with auto present. I thought the tech didn't know how the car worked, but it turned out to be my own ignorance of the subject, and the actual problem was much more frustrating.

I knew that the ultrasonic sensors had been removed. I didn't care about summon, and I thought park assist was just the auto park. I didn't realize I had lost parking sensors. I didn't realize I lost the doors opening. I feel like I have a handicapped car until the new features are back in there. I hear it is out for the MY, not the MX, and the reviews aren't great. So who knows how much longer it'll be before I am at feature parity with you 2022 MX owners.

The worst part is, I found out it was done to save $144 on the car. All this on a $110,000 vehicle. I've reached out to service, and I'm hoping they can retrofit the sensors to my car. Fingers crossed.
Worst of all, who thought this was a good idea not to have self presenting doors, even if it is for a short while? That’s a big difference between Y and X for me

Reactions: tierneyalvin
Worst of all, who thought this was a good idea not to have self presenting doors, even if it is for a short while? That’s a big difference between Y and X for me
Having test driven the YLR/P multiple times, the biggest difference is not the doors, it’s the more comfortable air suspension, quieter interior, higher tow rating, instrument cluster and much much better seats(air cooled bonus) that leaned us immediately towards the X. Now just waiting for Tesla to get the park assist functionality in working order before I place my order.

Yeah, I'm glad I got one of the last 2023 model x builds with USS. I wouldn't touch this car without USS unless vision is 100% as good or better than USS.

Why remove one of the most valuable park assist / Door feature? It's got to be one of the worst decisions Tesla could have made. Their S/X sales are way down likely due to this and feature parity too similar to 3/Y on the infotainment. Who wants to spend that kind of money and risk running into things with their 100k car? I'd almost never park the dang thing in a tight spot without USS.

All Tesla had to do was leave the USS until vision works better - It's not like they can't just switch to vision anyway once they get feature complete with it and ignore the USS sensors or at least give the user the option to use either one depending on the situation. Why remove USS prematurely? Why not use both? It's a 100k car for crying out loud saving $114 is literally a 1% savings xD.

This is the first thread I read about the Falcon Wings obstacle detection feature is disabled.

I was thinking Tesla would only remove uss for parking assist but there's no mention that the ceiling obstacle detection would also be disabled because there's no roof camera looking up at the ceiling.
Front doors, not the falcon wing doors.

Classic Tesla. What they SHOULD have done is work on vision until it reached parity with the USS and ONLY THEN removed USS from production. But that's not the Tesla way. The Tesla way is to always do what's best for Tesla and not the customer. When the customer complains, they wave their hands and say "OTA update is coming and it will be better than USS." The auto wipers in my 2022 MX are finally as good as the system in my 2012 MS (which had a dedicated rain sensor but Tesla removed it to save a few bucks). So you'll only have to wait 10 years before your doors work correctly.

Great price but only if FSD included- car seems to have gone through an auction. How to be sure Tesla won’t take the FSD off after adding to your account?
There’s another thread discussing this topic. The consensus there appears to be the belief that Tesla will not (or cannot legally) remove FSD from a car they haven’t taken possession of (e.g. via trade, lease turn in, etc.).

I have a two week old X (no USS) and my FWD’s are sensing my garage ceiling since they don’t fully open in the garage but do elsewhere. They open about 85% and I have to override them to get them fully open (there is clearance to fully open but it’s close enough for them to stop early). So there is some working sensor in those doors. My front doors do not fully open and hoping that is resolved with vision updates.

There used to be a single USS on the roof between the two Falcon Wings. Is it still there? If not, the wings may be restricted due to GPS or the front camera detecting that it's entering a garage.

8NOdGWM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
They cut USS but then turned around and cut the prices of all the cars by 10s of thousands of dollars….so cost cutting probably wasn’t a factor. More likely parts shortages or possibly disagreements with suppliers/contracts to the point where Tesla said screw you we don’t want your sensors.

Cost cutting should be done in ways invisible or undetectable by the customer but helps reduce the cost of manufacture (eg designing to eliminate redundant fasteners and wires and unnecessary parts, etc…something Tesla is very good at).

Cutting a feature due to costs is stupid because just charge the customer more if you need to? Most people would find value in a feature like USS and would pay for it. It’s not like people were not buying a Tesla because it was $150 too expensive. But now there are people who may pass on a Tesla because it doesn’t have such a basic feature that’s commonplace in many other vehicles.
They cut the prices because they had raised prices the last few years. By a lot! Since no one is buying the Model X, they have no choice but to drop prices.

I'm salty too.

I'm salty I paid at the highest point last year for my Plaid.
If I had waited, $30k in my pocket.

Salty I didn't get the red calipers and the larger rear screen.

All this when I've only had the car for 4 months. Ugh.
I like the car but not in love with it.

The price cut is what really irritates me.

I'd gladly take 23 with hw4 and pocket 30k.

Reactions: Huntfortelsa
I posted about this on another thread, but I opened the front driver's door on my 2023 X this morning with my trash can three feet away. It promptly opened at full speed straight into the corner of the can and dented the door. I tried to grab it when I realized it was not stopping but didn't get to it in time. The front doors only open a few inches 90% of the time, so usually I have to pull the door the rest of the way and am not used to needing to grab it before it hits something (nor should I need to be).

And now I am reading in this thread that Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors that detect objects near the front doors with no replacement system ready to go? Are you kidding me? What a joke.

I'm salty too.

I'm salty I paid at the highest point last year for my Plaid.
If I had waited, $30k in my pocket.

Salty I didn't get the red calipers and the larger rear screen.

All this when I've only had the car for 4 months. Ugh.
I like the car but not in love with it.

The price cut is what really irritates me.

I'd gladly take 23 with hw4 and pocket 30k.

At least you didn't get a lemon. My 2023 X has been a f'n nightmare. 1200 miles on it in 5 months, 3 months in service, and every time I drive it, at least one more thing fails. I drove it today for the first time in weeks and now there is a loud pop pop pop noise coming from the front suspension when turning the wheel.

• Helpful
Reactions: tierneyalvin
At least you didn't get a lemon. My 2023 X has been a f'n nightmare. 1200 miles on it in 5 months, 3 months in service, and every time I drive it, at least one more thing fails. I drove it today for the first time in weeks and now there is a loud pop pop pop noise coming from the front suspension when turning the wheel.
Awe man, sorry about your troubles.

I've been through it as well. 5 service visits for various things. Fortunately nothing major. Just my charge port not opening when pressing the charger wand, been replaced once already and the road noise I can't track down. Extremely noisy on drivers side.

Mine makes a noise when I fully turn the wheel. I assumed it was just the 22" wheels. My Porsche with 20s and super wide tired did the same thing. On full turn either side I get a hopping and load noises.

That's why I'm not in love with the MXP. It's a super fast ride, but the little things are annoying.

Hope your issues get sorted out.

That’s terrible for any brand. The pop pop from suspension could be your CV. Definitely get that looked at asap. Not normal

They cut USS but then turned around and cut the prices of all the cars by 10s of thousands of dollars….so cost cutting probably wasn’t a factor. More likely parts shortages or possibly disagreements with suppliers/contracts to the point where Tesla said screw you we don’t want your sensors.

Cost cutting should be done in ways invisible or undetectable by the customer but helps reduce the cost of manufacture (eg designing to eliminate redundant fasteners and wires and unnecessary parts, etc…something Tesla is very good at).

Cutting a feature due to costs is stupid because just charge the customer more if you need to? Most people would find value in a feature like USS and would pay for it. It’s not like people were not buying a Tesla because it was $150 too expensive. But now there are people who may pass on a Tesla because it doesn’t have such a basic feature that’s commonplace in many other vehicles.
I'm so terrible at finding a video I watched weeks ago but I thought someone on YouTube spoke with a Tesla "insider" who confirmed it was most definitely related to a supply chain shortage (just like radar) and in classic Tesla fashion the marketing wank went into high gear (excuse the expression in a forum about EVs without a high gear, lol). While I was in the market recently for my used MX I also considered a new BMW, Lexus, Lincoln, etc. and all of the dealers said that on factory orders some option packages that included USS or radar would delay the order or more simply would not be available due to supply chain shortages. Since there are only a few sources of these devices available to automakers worldwide I assume Tesla was affected as well.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the update. I'm sure when it finally comes out, it'll be fine. Just frustrating having just spend 6 figures on a car, and it has fewer features than a used car from a year ago. They should have made the changes to the software, then removed the hardware. Like, I'd pay the extra $114 for the freaking USS.

The article I mentioned was here:

$114 is just the parts cost (and they may have missed needing to paint the sensors).

But you also have to put holes in panels, mount them, connect the wiring harness, etc - Tesla is nuts about reducing parts count not just to save raw cost, but also to make production and assembly easier/faster/cheaper.

The one thing I believe we could all agree on is that Tesla could do better about releasing the replacement technology (vision) -before- removing the existing stuff (USS sensors)

Reactions: henderrj
I am not an engineer, but I was confused on what kind of cameras they put in there that can gauge distance to an object like a sensor can.
As I understand it, rather than rely on physics (with USS), Tesla Vision relies on a mathematical equation that uses the length or distance of known objects and compares that to objects in the environment. Sorta like those phone apps that measure your room from a photo. My first thought was "I'm not quite sure we are there yet" but I guess time will tell. Some of the videos showing it in action it's working great and in others they run into the wall.

Electrek reported that "Tesla’s active safety features powered by its new Tesla Vision computer vision system without radar are proving to be at least as good as radar in a new independent test" but I don't know if I'm convinced by a couple of independent tests.