Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling a little salty about my purchase.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the complaint thread, but I'm a bit salty right now. I hope you all can bear with me.

I posted a couple days ago about my door not opening fully with auto present. I thought the tech didn't know how the car worked, but it turned out to be my own ignorance of the subject, and the actual problem was much more frustrating.

I knew that the ultrasonic sensors had been removed. I didn't care about summon, and I thought park assist was just the auto park. I didn't realize I had lost parking sensors. I didn't realize I lost the doors opening. I feel like I have a handicapped car until the new features are back in there. I hear it is out for the MY, not the MX, and the reviews aren't great. So who knows how much longer it'll be before I am at feature parity with you 2022 MX owners.

The worst part is, I found out it was done to save $144 on the car. All this on a $110,000 vehicle. I've reached out to service, and I'm hoping they can retrofit the sensors to my car. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm waiting for the update. I'm sure when it finally comes out, it'll be fine. Just frustrating having just spend 6 figures on a car, and it has fewer features than a used car from a year ago. They should have made the changes to the software, then removed the hardware. Like, I'd pay the extra $114 for the freaking USS.

The article I mentioned was here:

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Don’t disagree with you that it seems like a basic function that should be included.

From a manufacturing perspective however, that’s ~$150 million annually in cost avoidance (bear with me, I’m simplifying the math here to $114 x 1.3 million cars sold). 🤷‍♂️
They cut USS but then turned around and cut the prices of all the cars by 10s of thousands of dollars….so cost cutting probably wasn’t a factor. More likely parts shortages or possibly disagreements with suppliers/contracts to the point where Tesla said screw you we don’t want your sensors.

Cost cutting should be done in ways invisible or undetectable by the customer but helps reduce the cost of manufacture (eg designing to eliminate redundant fasteners and wires and unnecessary parts, etc…something Tesla is very good at).

Cutting a feature due to costs is stupid because just charge the customer more if you need to? Most people would find value in a feature like USS and would pay for it. It’s not like people were not buying a Tesla because it was $150 too expensive. But now there are people who may pass on a Tesla because it doesn’t have such a basic feature that’s commonplace in many other vehicles.

What did you think the ultrasonic sensors were for?
This is the first thread I read about the Falcon Wings obstacle detection feature is disabled.

I was thinking Tesla would only remove uss for parking assist but there's no mention that the ceiling obstacle detection would also be disabled because there's no roof camera looking up at the ceiling.

This is the first thread I read about the Falcon Wings obstacle detection feature is disabled.

I was thinking Tesla would only remove uss for parking assist but there's no mention that the ceiling obstacle detection would also be disabled because there's no roof camera looking up at the ceiling.
I have a two week old X (no USS) and my FWD’s are sensing my garage ceiling since they don’t fully open in the garage but do elsewhere. They open about 85% and I have to override them to get them fully open (there is clearance to fully open but it’s close enough for them to stop early). So there is some working sensor in those doors. My front doors do not fully open and hoping that is resolved with vision updates.

They cut USS but then turned around and cut the prices of all the cars by 10s of thousands of dollars….so cost cutting probably wasn’t a factor. More likely parts shortages or possibly disagreements with suppliers/contracts to the point where Tesla said screw you we don’t want your sensors.

Cost cutting should be done in ways invisible or undetectable by the customer but helps reduce the cost of manufacture (eg designing to eliminate redundant fasteners and wires and unnecessary parts, etc…something Tesla is very good at).

Cutting a feature due to costs is stupid because just charge the customer more if you need to? Most people would find value in a feature like USS and would pay for it. It’s not like people were not buying a Tesla because it was $150 too expensive. But now there are people who may pass on a Tesla because it doesn’t have such a basic feature that’s commonplace in many other vehicles.
Big reason why we cancelled our MX until they can prove to have reliable 360 whether it’s vision or actual birdseye view. I took the $250 loss. I can’t see spending $100+k with these features missinng. I think of any other suv above $80k missing 360 view and rear traffic notification when backing out of a parking spot. My wife’s BMW see people and cars before I do when backing out of crazy parking lots.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
Just found a 2022 Plaid for $85,721 with 10k miles AND FSD!! and now I'm regretting my purchase last month of a 2019 MXPL with 13k miles for $79,900 😬😬. Granted, I would have had to pay for cross-country shipping. But my extended warranty was $4400 soooo....

Anyways, here's the link, it has USS:

Great price but only if FSD included- car seems to have gone through an auction. How to be sure Tesla won’t take the FSD off after adding to your account?