Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can hear it and look at it puttering and shaking. Are all connectors on solidly?
I plan to check the TAS module, in case I didn't connect it properly. But I'll remove the frunk and see what the compressor is doing.

I understand that if the TAS module were not properly connected, the compressor wouldn't do anything, right?

Happy 7/4!

Hi guys, thank you for all the help. I have run some tests on the air suspension. The literal error is "Air suspension adjustment unavailable".

- I checked the Air suspension ECU, and it's properly connected, so that's ruled out.

- I removed the frunk and checked the connections of the compressor. Everything looks fine.

- I turned off the car (turn off in menu, disconnect 12V and HV power, wait a minute, and connected everything again). The compressor was not doing anything at all during startup.

- I shutdown the car again, disconnected the power of the compressor (see Compressor_1.jpg, I understand that's power), and turned it on. I got the same noises, the same error. So naively I would think the compressor is dead.

- Now, I plugged in a multimeter to the compressor power harness (see Compressor_2.jpg) and powered the car up. I was expecting to see, at least at some point, 12V or something. I was always seeing something ~0V. Got always the same error.

My questions are:

+ why wouldn't I get 12V at the compressor connector? Can this be because *maybe* the crash data in the suspension ECU was not properly deleted? Or does the system run a test somewhere else before delivering power to the compressor?

+ can you come across any other check I could do? I was thinking of directly plugging 12V to the compressor, to make sure it is alive, but I'm lacking an external power supply, and to run wires from the 12V battery doesn't look like a good idea.

Thank you guys. Without this community I think it would be almost impossible to figure all these things out.

Attachments

• Compressor_1.jpg
    Compressor_1.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Compressor_2.jpg
    Compressor_2.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 100
emir-t reminded me: There is a grounding stud on the inside of the right (passenger) frame rail, which has a tendency to break off. Check for that, and check for voltage at the connector, referencing to frame ground.

Also I would hot-wire the compressor from the 12v battery, just to confirm operation. (Get yer polarity right, or else)

• Helpful
Reactions: KyleDay and M0rpH3x
After trying to connect the air compressor directly to the battery, my conclusion is that it is dead. I need to perform a more thorough check, though.

What could kill a compressor? The pyrofuse fired after the accident, so in the worst case it was just running for ~1h, and it didn't receive a direct hit...

Hmm, I hope you'd connected it correctly. I've never seen one dead, but there's always a first time.

You HAVE to either see voltage to the compressor, or be able to hot-wire it. You can't have neither. I haven't looked at the schematics for it, have you?

I have one corner going down, and the compressor runs so much the light comes on the IC. After disconnecting the 12v for a couple days it's clear it's the driver's-front. No leaks either end of the line, with soap bubbles. This is a new air-spring that I'd bought from Tesla through a cut-out, before we were allowed to buy parts. So no warranty, and this is the special + suspension for the P85D. Prob no other source but Tesla.

Hmm, I hope you'd connected it correctly. I've never seen one dead, but there's always a first time.

You HAVE to either see voltage to the compressor, or be able to hot-wire it. You can't have neither. I haven't looked at the schematics for it, have you?.

Well, I did one of those "never try this at home" things, but today I plan to run a safer and more reliable test.

I don't have the schematics for the refreshed version, and since the compressor is different than in the original model S, I don't want to make any assumptions. But I have seen one of these compressors in action, and they start working the moment they get 12V.

If you are wondering, I got the polarity right. One of the pins of the connector is shorted to ground.

Anyway, I don't know what's worse, a bad ECU or a bad compressor. I'm going to have a lot of fun replacing any of those...

Hi guys, I appreciate a lot your help. This error is driving me crazy. Today I carefully plugged some crimp connectors directly to the compressor, attached the wires to the battery, et voilà! The compressor started working. Now, the error is still there, and I measured the voltage at the connector of the compressor (car side). The ground is the ground, and indeed it's shorted to other grounds of the car, but the other pin should be 12V, at least from time to time, and it's always 0V.

What can prevent the ECU from activating the compressor? A wrong level sensor? Maybe the crash data was not properly deleted? The error appears immediately upon startup.

Thanks a lot.

Error_Sus.jpg

When you cleared the crash data from the TPS (not the airbag module) did the compressor immediately cycle?

I've only done it a few times, but when I did, as soon as I cleared the TPS crash data the compressor automatically went through a cycle of up and down.

If you didn't get some activity when clearing the crash data, I'd suspect its not actually cleared. In which case what your seeing is what you'd get.

• Helpful
Reactions: M0rpH3x
When you cleared the crash data from the TPS (not the airbag module) did the compressor immediately cycle?

I did not clear the crash data, someone else did. After installing the module, the car was on jack mode for a while. When I removed the jack mode, it didn't cycle.

If you didn't get some activity when clearing the crash data, I'd suspect its not actually cleared. In which case what your seeing is what you'd get.

I'm considering another possibility. The car had both front right control arms broken, and during transport, the sway bar link bent and the wheel was so low that, even though it was flat, it hit the wheel arch. Could the height sensor be broken? I'm considering taking it out, supplying some voltage and trying to get readings.

Would factory mode give me an error code on screen?

Last edited:
Hey guys, anyone know what's going on with Ingineer ? I've sent him payment for app access over a week ago and he hasn't responded.

Is he still in the business ? Anyone else that deals with him might be best to contact him beforehand to see if he's still in that line of business .