Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Additional Meter for M3 Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I’m moving to San Diego in a month and wanted to know if anyone in San Diego has had to get an additional meter installed in their condo or townhome parking spot? I have two parking spots and the HOA is pulling power for me to one spot (60 amp). They said I just need to have a meter installed. I called SDGE and after being transferred five times, I feel I’m still not in the right department. It seems commercial and they want me to send in architectural diagrams, grading items, and assign a PM to it. Doesn’t make sense to me. Does anyone know the definitive answer? Searching here and online I got conflicting statements. Thanks!

the HOA is pulling power for me to one spot (60 amp). They said I just need to have a meter installed.
Understandable if they want to have a measure of how much energy you are using from that line.

I called SDGE and
Not the right step. You don't need to get a separate metered electrical service line (separate account from the utility). You just need to get a metering piece of hardware installed inline with that 60A circuit you are running to the car. So you can find really common electric meters, even the old analog spinning dial type that are perfectly fine used for less than $50. The one that @GenralSpecific recommended looks fine.

Reactions: Big Earl
The meter installed by the electric company would include billing / meter reading (probably $10 a month), so maybe that is what they want.

But why is your condo asking you to install a meter? They should do all the work and bill you / sign an agreement together. You will have 2 electricians, one for the 60A line and another for the meter? The electrician should deal with the installation of the meter.

Reactions: Rocky_H
So I got clarification from the builder/HOA. It needs to be a SDGE meter so it can be charged back to me direct. They have an electrician who will do all the work for me basically at cost. PLUS! They are letting me use the NEMA 14-50 plug they installed temporarily for free until the meter and HPWC gets installed. So all in all... I’m in a great spot because I’ll be able to charge day 1 with the portable charger for free until the meter situation gets sorted out. Super cool of them.

From what I’ve read, SDGE has to install the meter but the electrician installs the housing and HPWC for me. So once the electrician finishes his work and has the housing in place, SDGE drops in the meter. I just hope the city isn’t needed to be involved for permits and what not as I hear that’s the bottleneck and cluster F to deal with.

So I got clarification from the builder/HOA. It needs to be a SDGE meter so it can be charged back to me direct. They have an electrician who will do all the work for me basically at cost. PLUS! They are letting me use the NEMA 14-50 plug they installed temporarily for free until the meter and HPWC gets installed. So all in all... I’m in a great spot because I’ll be able to charge day 1 with the portable charger for free until the meter situation gets sorted out. Super cool of them.

From what I’ve read, SDGE has to install the meter but the electrician installs the housing and HPWC for me. So once the electrician finishes his work and has the housing in place, SDGE drops in the meter. I just hope the city isn’t needed to be involved for permits and what not as I hear that’s the bottleneck and cluster F to deal with.

It sounds like wherever you are moving to, has done this before. They sound remarkably efficient for a condo / townhome association as it relates to EV charging, so they must have done this before at least once.. maybe more.

It sounds like wherever you are moving to, has done this before. They sound remarkably efficient for a condo / townhome association as it relates to EV charging, so they must have done this before at least once.. maybe more.

They probably are just good with electricity. He said builder/HOA, so they've got the original builder hanging around.