Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SanDisk problem...Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought SanDisk High Endurance Card or video and dashcam from amazon and formatted as instructed on various YouTube videos and on here but still not working on my Tesla Model 3.

The car doesn't recognise it whenever I plug it in.

What am I doing wrong? Help guys...been using my car for months now with no dashcam

I bought SanDisk High Endurance Card or video and dashcam from amazon and formatted as instructed on various YouTube videos and on here but still not working on my Tesla Model 3.

What am I doing wrong? Help guys...been using my car for months now with no dashcam
Has it ever worked? Mine is the micros as card and it did work sporadically but has now stopped all together. Having formatted a few times it still not working. I noticed another post last night where someone USB wasn’t charging either, I’m going to check mine this morning, it certainly used to charge.

My micro SanDisk High Endurance Card and adaptor worked briefly for the dashcam but are not currently even recognized. I replaced the SanDisk with a Samsung card using the same adaptor still without luck. I haven't had time to troubleshoot so I'm interested in opinions also. I'm wondering if the adaptor or the USB splitter is the fault. I will add that neither splitter works with the cards and that my USB ports work fine with the Tesla wireless charger. Leaving the adaptor as the only single monkey in the wrench........my format and files are definitely correct.

Last edited:
Has it ever worked? As well as formatting, you also put the all important "TeslaCam" folder?

Whats on it exactly when you put in a PC/Mac? Drive properties and top level folders useful to see - they may be corrupted.

USB socket/plugs also teem to be temperamental which can cause problems and corruption - latter is game over until a reformat. I could reproduce this at will on our car - I could turn Dashcam icon on and off just by slightly wiggling the USB plug - this can affect any device especially if its unsupported and 'flapping in the wind' - I velcro'd ours to underside of phone flap - problem solved.

Last edited:
I have the sandisk micro sd card and adapter. Mine failed after a week. said it wasn't formatted properly.
What I found was that the card was perfectly fine, it was the adapter that had fried, cheap eBay one, which I had three. tried another adapter worked perfectly for a week then same again. Went to curry's and bought the sandisk adapter, been fine for two weeks now.
What I have noticed is, I have my heating set on auto, which puts heat to your middle and feet. The compartment gets really hot, thus i think frying the adapter. I have started leaving the area open on long journeys.
Dave

OP - any way you can get a regular USB flash drive, plug it directly into the USB port and see if it works ? I've been using a SanDIsk Extreme 256 GB MicroSd Card with an adaptor and USB splitter from Amazon since Sentry Mode became available and I'm not having any problems with it....

Has it ever worked? Mine is the micros as card and it did work sporadically but has now stopped all together. Having formatted a few times it still not working. I noticed another post last night where someone USB wasn’t charging either, I’m going to check mine this morning, it certainly used to charge.

My USB's have come back to life and my SSD drive is as good as ever

Reactions: OfficialMark_H
OP - any way you can get a regular USB flash drive, plug it directly into the USB port and see if it works ? I've been using a SanDIsk Extreme 256 GB MicroSd Card with an adaptor and USB splitter from Amazon since Sentry Mode became available and I'm not having any problems with it....
Please could you share the link which items and from where did you buy?
How much does 256gb can record, as in how many days? Does it overwrites once all full?

Reactions: Greenstar
that link just goes to a general page, nothing specific

sandisk-extreme-pro-usb-3-1-ssd

Please could you share the link which items and from where did you buy?
How much does 256gb can record, as in how many days? Does it overwrites once all full?

For the regular Dash Cam, it will still overwrite if you don't touch the camera icon to save it. For Sentry Mode, I typically go through the clips every couple of weeks and the card is not even close to being full. I just deleted the clips, so I can let you know in a couple weeks of the remaining capacity left in the MicroSD card.

Here are the UK links from Amazon for what I'm using and I haven't had any issues so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-E...7?keywords=usb+splitter&qid=1583602496&sr=8-7
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ex...k+extreme+micro+sd+card&qid=1583602632&sr=8-6
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNTRSI-An...tning+compatible+reader&qid=1583602972&sr=8-3

Reactions: Greenstar
For the regular Dash Cam, it will still overwrite if you don't touch the camera icon to save it. For Sentry Mode, I typically go through the clips every couple of weeks and the card is not even close to being full. I just deleted the clips, so I can let you know in a couple weeks of the remaining capacity left in the MicroSD card.

Here are the UK links from Amazon for what I'm using and I haven't had any issues so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-E...7?keywords=usb+splitter&qid=1583602496&sr=8-7
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ex...k+extreme+micro+sd+card&qid=1583602632&sr=8-6
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNTRSI-An...tning+compatible+reader&qid=1583602972&sr=8-3

Is it possible to read the memory within the car and view the recordings?

Size only really matters wrt keeping number of rewrites down - 128GB is likely to be sufficient unless you use sentry 24/7 - many people don't as its a battery killer.

Dashcam only keeps last 60 minutes footage unless you manually save it by pressing icon on screen or (now if enabled) honking hown.

Sentry keeps 10 (?) minutes leading up to each sentry event, but it overwrites old events in an attempt to manage disc usage - I understand that, to reduce drive slowdown issues, that it tries to keep at least 30% (?) of drive free, ie max 70% usage.