Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sandy Munro talks about the teardown of the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really believe that a deemed professional of his caliber should not have to "walk back" so many of is own comments on the Model 3.

All of that experience that people are stating....and all of that professionalism and he errored on many preliminary issues such as " Tesla's profit margin on the model 3" and "useless parts".

Indeed there are a lot of people who anchor down on everything that he says concerning cars....which makes me wonder.....how many people he has turned off from buying a Model 3.

How many people "ESPECIALLY INVESTORS" do you think were turned off due to that 1st catastrophic review? How much money did that initial review cost Tesla in investors ( not owners ) ?

Hundreds? Thousands? Millions?

In his initial "catastrophic" review he had issues with fit & finish, complexity of the build, frunk operations and he didn't like the door handles (which he says was just his personal issue due to an accident he had).

There was nothing in his review that wasn't posted hundreds of times beforehand on this forum. (Except maybe the door handles so you may be losing any customer who never once opened the door prior to ordering.)

He has never walked back any of those initial comments. He still thinks there are useless parts and Tesla can improve profit margins by better engineering the body.

Reactions: voip-ninja
If you guys haven't seen the Jalopnik produced video of their visit to Munroe & Associates from 4/3/19 where they meet with a few of the Munroe employees and go over a comparison of parts between the Bolt, i3 and Model 3 (battery, motor, electronics, frame and body parts), here it is:

Nobody who watches that video is going to buy a Bolt (and probably very very few outside of dense urban areas would even consider an i3 to begin with).

Munro commented that several people at his company of 70 or so employees have bought the Tesla after they did the tear down. I'd be willing to bet that none of them are driving an i3 or a Bolt.

In his initial "catastrophic" review he had issues with fit & finish, complexity of the build, frunk operations and he didn't like the door handles (which he says was just his personal issue due to an accident he had).

There was nothing in his review that wasn't posted hundreds of times beforehand on this forum. (Except maybe the door handles so you may be losing any customer who never once opened the door prior to ordering.)

He has never walked back any of those initial comments. He still thinks there are useless parts and Tesla can improve profit margins by better engineering the body.

You must not have seen his entire initial video when he talked about the fact that there was no way that Tesla could achieve 20% or so profit margins on a car like the Model 3....etc.

He's walking that back now.

Watch the video....it was about an hour long.

You must not have seen his entire initial video when he talked about the fact that there was no way that Tesla could achieve 20% or so profit margins on a car like the Model 3....etc.

He's walking that back now.

Watch the video....it was about an hour long.

His initial video was 7:35, his second one was 8:51. Which video do you consider his "initial" video?

As soon as he finished the teardown he said the 3 is profitable. He only ever made comments after he reviewed a specific part of the vehicle, never speculated.

Feel free link the video and time stamp of when you say he made that statement. (And ignore the other co-hosts.)

Are you sure you are not thinking of USB that made the statement that the 3 will not be profitable?