TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Saskatoon Service

Discussion in 'Canada' started by OILMAN, Jun 4, 2018.

1. OILMAN

OILMAN Member

Does anyone have any experience with obtaining Tesla service in Saskatoon? I am trying to determine how practical it is to own a Tesla in Saskatoon and have it efficiently serviced.

2. Buggle

Buggle Member

I'd email them directly. I know they're building out superchargers on the prairies over the next year so it's possible to drive cross Canada, but don't think they have any physical locations there, it'd all be contracted out to third parties. The bigger issue is I think you're going to have difficulty charging outside your home. Their charging network between Calgary and Barrie is SUPER ghetto.

3. OILMAN

OILMAN Member

Thanks. My question isn’t about charging. I understand the challenges of charging and void of superchargers in the Saskatoon area. Specifically, with the nearest Service Centre being Calgary, I am wondering if anybody can tell me about the Tesla service experience in Saskatoon.

4. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

@Mayhemm might have some experience there?

5. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Simple, ask for a tech to come out. Oh, and pay the $1,500 fee each time even if it’s a warranty fix.

6. OILMAN

OILMAN Member

$1500 is pretty steep. Has anybody else had the same experience with service outside of Calgary?

7. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

I think the Edmonton guys mostly hold on to their issues until there are enough for a day or two of Ranger, then they schedule a Ranger to come up and take care of everyone all at once. Spreads the Ranger costs out, I've also heard they don't charge the Ranger fee when there's a bunch of work like that. Personally I've only taken my car to the service centre in Calgary (once, for a 12V battery replacement) so I can't speak to the Rangers. From recent tweets it seems they are working hard towards sending techs out for service on site even in areas with service centres, so it's hard to say what the future might look like. On the plus side, the one time I took my car in is the only time I've had to have anything done to it in just over 60,000km and 2 1/2 years of ownership.

8. Ledge

Ledge Member

When discussing the service options in Winnipeg, I was told a few times a year they send rangers out and split the cost between everyone that needs service. The average cost for each person here seem to be about $50-100.

I would assume something similar would be in place for Saskatoon/Regina but I don't know how many owners there are in that area to split the cost with.

9. Nixx

Nixx Member

I'm in Regina so this is interesting to me. I would even be interested in driving to Saskatoon if a ranger were coming there and I had an issue that I needed fixing ASAP.

From my previous discussions with Tesla, one of which was not long ago, it sounds like if you are within 800km (as crow flies?) from a service center, they will handle ranger/warranty costs if your vehicle is not drivable. What the exact definition of "not drivable" is, I'm not sure. Certainly things like the motor failing, or 12v battery failing where the vehicle doesn't start would be valid. However, if the drivers window rolls down and doesn't go back up? idk... that would suck to drive to Calgary for that service...

I've also heard of one situation where someone outside the 800km range received no charge service for their un-drivable model X. So, I'm guessing Tesla is pretty good about these things.

10. bpjod

bpjod Member

When I picked up my Model 3 in Calgary last week I specifically asked about servicing my car. They told me they had hired and are in the process of training a ranger to be based out of Edmonton. Get enough friends to buy Model 3s in Saskatoon and maybe you can have your own ranger too. ;)

• Like x 1