Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sat Nav map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I've had my Model 3, I have puzzled over the design decisions that Tesla took for the sat nav map. It is magnificently larger than any map that I have had in other cars, but more difficult to read at a glance. Firstly it is in several shades of grey. I don't know how many - less than 50. That at least makes it the same for colour blind people as the rest of us. But why are major roads so obscure, compared to minor roads? Why are railway lines so faint that they are almost invisible, especially in darker coloured countryside? Why are waterways shown so similarly to roads?
SatNav 1.jpg

Surely some colour would enhance easier glancing and understanding?

SatNav 2..jpg
Don't comment on the artwork - I couldn't find a child to do the colouruing in! I am interested in your views on my general comment, though.

Reactions: Durzel
On my iPad, Google maps has main roads yellow, and thicker than white minor roads, water is blue and there are green areas of countryside (although I don't know what that represents - AONB?). I find this easier to interpret, but still not great. Admittedly railway lines are almost invisible, for some reason.

Can I take this moment to gloat about having a car old enough to have premium internet and the satellite maps, I may not have Netflix, careoke, a working browser, fast response times or an eMMC that doesn't wear out, but I can read the map :D

Reactions: hingus2000