Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sat Nav Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to show the satnav like a traditional say tomtom where its car on road with the road in front, rather than the traditional google top down view ?

Like this kind of thing ?

1622023512102.png

Thank you.

Is there a way to show the satnav like a traditional say tomtom where its car on road with the road in front, rather than the traditional google top down view ?

Like this kind of thing ?

View attachment 666387
Thank you.
I bought one of the very first TomTom units years ago and had several since, up until the last few years, now with sat nav standard in most cars generally.......I still don't think the most modern ones are as good a product as TomTom, WAZE is my go to now on CarPlay but lacks a great graphical display. The only time I've used the Tesla one is when I test drove my M3P and it took me down a bus lane, (of which I got a £30 fine for!!!).
Spot on 😂

Reactions: Cantonalegod
Some call it birdseye view, but no, not at the moment. Maybe its something to do with the map we see isn't from the navigation system, it's just a google render, and I'm not sure you can get birdseye/perspective view from google maps on a browser.

With pick-up of my car imminent does anyone know if the Tesla satnav can display the traffic bar on the side as in the above image like Tomtom? I’ve not yet come across a satnav app that does this as the live traffic info is very useful.
Anywho who’s gone from Tomtom to Tesla maps views appreciated.

With pick-up of my car imminent does anyone know if the Tesla satnav can display the traffic bar on the side as in the above image like Tomtom? I’ve not yet come across a satnav app that does this as the live traffic info is very useful.
Anywho who’s gone from Tomtom to Tesla maps views appreciated.
No. You will miss your TomTom.
It displays red, yellow and green on the road to show traffic ( if you have premium connectivity) but that is about it other than that just your arrival time. And if that jumps for some reason you will have no clue why. Aside from the large screen its not actually a very good satnav.
The 2000s finally called and delivered waypoints last year but still
No 3D mode
no way to ask for a reroute due to closed road etc
no traffic info
no zoom on roundabouts
a bizarre inability to count the correct exit to leave a roundabout.
occasional routing the wrong way around a roundabout
very few options. no choice of fastest, most efficient, etc ( just avoid toll and ferry)

I am not sure if its poor development or more ideological. i.e. you don't need options just do as we tell you and you will get there.
I mean why waste money developing a fully featured satnav when the cars will be driving themselves soon anyway.:rolleyes:

Annoyed me at the weekend as well. tried to take me along a motorway with a pre planned closure. Cost me 40 minutes in the insuring traffic jam of a diversion.
Checked google maps and it knew the road was closed and would have sent me a different route away from the chaos and saved me about 20 minutes. Had to use a way point on the way home to force the Tesla to do the same. Grrr

Checked google maps and it knew the road was closed and would have sent me a different route away from the chaos and saved me about 20 minutes. Had to use a way point on the way home to force the Tesla to do the same. Grrr

Little help to you now but in the next major release (2022.28) you'll be able to select from different routes.

With the recent addition of traffic along route and soon alternative routes, maybe this is an area of improvement Tesla are focussed on right now.

1663102202565.png

Reactions: tesstuff and robmcm
Little help to you now but in the next major release (2022.28) you'll be able to select from different routes.

With the recent addition of traffic along route and soon alternative routes, maybe this is an area of improvement Tesla are focussed on right now.

View attachment 852123
interesting thanks. Another 2000s era feature we are soon to get in out state of the art cars :).
Whatever next I wonder? separate Bluetooth devices for calls and music!
That might have solved my issue for the journey home. Still annoyed that car did not know about the closed road though then I would not have needed to re-route. It would have done it for me.

If you don't have premium do you still get 3 routes I wonder but no traffic info just different arrival time? traffic visualisations are the only thing I would use premium for and £10 per month just to see that is not really worth it. I sometimes buy it for a month if I am going on a road trip though.

I am just getting my end of first year nags for premium subscription and am unlikely to bother - as almost all of it is not needed or not really useful. The live traffic colours I have seen on roads I was travelling on never much reflected reality. Looking out of the windscreen was more accurate.

I am not the target market demographic for Karaoke or Disney etc and don't even know (or care) what Tidal is!

Reactions: Wol747
Thanks for the info, looks like may be keeping my TomTom, will mess with the clean in cabin look, but still prefer traffic bar.
I hoped apple carplay with Tomtom might integrate the traffic bar but I believe it doesnt.