Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My nightmare relationship with Tesla came to an end today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think that flies any more, Tesla aren't the plucky upstart any more
Not any more, no. But we are all talking about 2 year+ cars aren't we? Mine is 3.5yo now.
Do you think it's got anything to do with the configuration of the vent on the "parcel shelf".

I seem to remember these were slowly sealed up over a number of revisions.
No idea, sorry, might help? Seems to come through the foot wells to me, but from watching Bjorn's sound deadening video, £3k of added insulation in all the usual places didn't seem to help, including the wheel wells. Hence my suspicion it's the suspension configuration that causes the problems.

Not any more, no. But we are all talking about 2 year+ cars aren't we? Mine is 3.5yo now.

No idea, sorry, might help? Seems to come through the foot wells to me, but from watching Bjorn's sound deadening video, £3k of added insulation in all the usual places didn't seem to help, including the wheel wells. Hence my suspicion it's the suspension configuration that causes the problems.
Mine is 2022 MIC...

there was videos of the Z shaped foam/rubber..

essentially, if I understood correctly, wind noise quite effectively can be insulated with painters tape at the door gaps (quite hard to get in tho :D

but look, this is where nonsense starts. 50k is where well specced 3 series (or entry spec 5 series) is...

there was videos of the Z shaped foam/rubber..

essentially, if I understood correctly, wind noise quite effectively can be insulated with painters tape at the door gaps (quite hard to get in tho :D

but look, this is where nonsense starts. 50k is where well specced 3 series (or entry spec 5 series) is...
Well a 50k EV should be compared to a £40k ICE for an equivalent seto of car bits. Thus something like a Qashqai…

As for noise, the double pane windows all around and especially the parcel shelf make a huge difference (late 22 MIC Y), was able to have a quiet conversation with passenger when at motorway speeds, no noticeable wind noise and when parking, people talking are noticeably quieter - the mondeo seemed to have almost no attenuation of outside noise - type noise in the mondeo was really obvious when next to road works barriers - was not a noticeable change in the Model Y - thus have been impressed with how quiet it is.

that is not the point.

you expect shite noise insulation with corsa, clio, or dacia.
when you pay 50k you expect insulation at the certain price point.

Having just downsized from a Model Y to a Peugeot e-208, one of the factors I’m enjoying is the fact that the refinement and noise levels are better in the e-208 than in either of my Tesla’s (Model 3 and Y). Quite a surprise to be honest. I was never that bothered by noise levels in the Teslas though and steadfastly refused to adopt some of the counter measures I read about on here - door seals and the like.

Reactions: Durzel and Avendit
You weren’t expecting this? The tyres are 2/3 the size, therefore 2/3 the tyre noise. Also the size of the e-208 is much smaller than a Model Y so wind noise is reduced.

It has nothing to do with build quality. 🙄
it has just 1 size smaller wheels on GT than 18 aero. FFS Skoda Enyaq has BIGGER wheels than Model 3/Y (Enyaq comes in 19 and 20' wheels) it is bigger than 3 or Y (and is shaped almost like brick compared to 3/Y) and has better sound insulation inside.
audi, jag others have even bigger wheels and has better sound inside.

stop defending car without noise insulation pretending that it has. it just does not. sad reality

and regarding build/interior quality - every time when ANYONE raises quality as good, I will drop this:
1685520473766.png

Last edited:
it has just 1 size smaller wheels on GT than 18 aero. FFS Skoda Enyaq has BIGGER wheels than Model 3/Y (Enyaq comes in 19 and 20' wheels) it is bigger than 3 or Y (and is shaped almost like brick compared to 3/Y) and has better sound insulation inside.
audi, jag others have even bigger wheels and has better sound inside.

stop defending car without noise insulation pretending that it has. it just does not. sad reality

and regarding build/interior quality - every time when ANYONE raises quality as good, I will drop this:
View attachment 942656
What am I looking at here? What's that blue strap?

I would say that as far as road noise is concerned there is a lot of adjustment possible in the windows. There are adjustment screws inside which will adjust the glass in 3 dimensions, including tilting the glass towards or away from the frame.

It's pretty clever design really, as many internal things are, but it does also mean that there is the potential for wind noise to be introduced through bad configuration, and it might not be obvious that's where it's coming from. I suspect there is quite a wide variance in road noise between cars.

I would say - for what it's worth - that my M3P is the loudest of the EVs I've driven, and that includes a 72 plate one I drove too which wasn't markedly different. It's not loud enough to be irritating, but it's also not overly quiet - at speed at least.

The 'it has nothing to do with build quality' refers to the comparison between a 1500kg Peugeot on 185 tyres and a 1900kg Model Y on 255 tyres. The problem with the UK forums is the wild tangents people take and how points get taken out of context. At no point have I said the Model Y is built well.

Reactions: Avendit
The 'it has nothing to do with build quality' refers to the comparison between a 1500kg Peugeot on 185 tyres and a 1900kg Model Y on 255 tyres. The problem with the UK forums is the wild tangents people take and how points get taken out of context. At no point have I said the Model Y is built well.
let me iterate again:
Skoda enyaq has same size tyres and is significantly quieter.

I don't have a problem with noise in my M3P, however I didn't move to Tesla from something that was super quiet like my Jaguar XF V8. I had a 911 followed by the Focus RS mk3 - so i was pretty used to a lot of tyre noise - plus the pops and bangs from the exhaust - so I think I'm just accustomed to the noise levels but there is significant room for improvement in the model 3 and I have added insulation - but it wasn't because i thought it was noisy.

I've added the insulation to the underside of the bonnet - because the black fabric looks good, I've also added the same insulation to the roof of the boot as it was just painted metal - but again to make the boot look good.

Now whilst i was fitting the power boot kit I found the floor areas underneath the rear lights are open in that you can see the road beneath it - it has a metal floor pan but its not enclosed - a bit of silicon sealer would seal all the gaps up and reduce some road noise.
In the front wheel arch - the end of the roof bar (the bit that forms the A post to C post) and houses the curtain airbags right next to your right ear when driving is completely open behind the wheel arch liner and clearly is a source of noise.
Likewise in the same area the A post to wing panel has drilled holes - no grommets fitted (open the front doors and look beyond where the door hinges are) these holes are behind the wheel arch liner but they allow noise to enter the void in that area which will transmit into the car.

clearly Tesla could do a lot more to improve things and at low cost - but why would they? they sell like hot cakes and Tesla's penny pinching would withdraw a single blob of sealant if it only cost £1 to do 100 vehicles.
Much of the noise is indeed build quality and a lack of incentive to do better.
To be fair though, If I thought the car was noisy then I would simply go out and order the insulation and have all the carpets out and do it myself, door cards off and in there too, plus the boot and the front tub out and insulate the back of the tub before refitting. I know I could dramatically drop the sound levels.

I'm not a Tesla fan boy nor a knocker of Tesla, my car is superb despite its quirks and the fact they robbed me with FSD, shite wipers and crappy auto main beam.

Now whilst i was fitting the power boot kit I found the floor areas underneath the rear lights are open in that you can see the road beneath it - it has a metal floor pan but its not enclosed - a bit of silicon sealer would seal all the gaps up and reduce some road noise.

Isn't it weird that some have holes you can see the road through, but others had puddles of water gathering in the underboot 🤣