Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scammed by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The day after the latest price drop I started the process of trading in my M3P for a MYLR based on the quoted figures given to me by the Tesla garage and online (both the same as you would expect).
Had wait for Tesla and Blackhorse to update their system following the price drop (which they completed this weekend). To now find that the monthly price has increased by OVER £100/month (I suspect because they rushed to update the website with the new base prices but they didn’t update the residuals!)
I paid the £200 ordering deposit (and a further £80 to put my private plate on retention) in good faith based on the originally quoted figures. Now it’s more than £100 more per month it isn’t viable and I’m cancelling … however Tesla are saying that I’ve lost the money put in so far. So I’m now £280 out of pocket for something that isn’t my fault or problem.

Annoyed isn’t the word …. If they don’t give me my money back then I certainly won’t be ordering from them again and am considering a smalls claims court to recoup my costs

I'm not familiar with all the details of how you're financing, but if there's any sort of consumer finance involved then it'll be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, who had a big initiative when I was last working with banks and trading companies about "treating customers fairly." They're all petrified of coming a cropper of those guidelines.

My suggestion would be to read the TCA guidelines, and start using language from them in your emails. Explicitly state that you don't think you're being treated fairly, list all the ways they're not achieving those listed outcomes in the guidelines, and threaten to complain to the FCA.

Don't refer to the Distance Selling Directive/Regulations, as that's been superseded by the Consumer Contracts Regulations. It'd be worth reading up on your rights via that bit of legislation, too.

All the best on getting a successful outcome.

argh frustrating. You'll get your deposit back if you push. I wonder if you could have pushed ahead with the existing prices (and APR), got the contract signed but not picked the car up, then requested an invoice adjustment. I had them do that to my SR+ when the grant disappeared as I was in the middle of buying it and they discounted the inventory cars but not mine as it was already 'sold' - but they applied it retrospectively.

if you still want the car I wonder if they'd do that too - worth a shot depending how pisssed off you are at them

Reactions: Ant M3
I'm not familiar with all the details of how you're financing, but if there's any sort of consumer finance involved then it'll be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, who had a big initiative when I was last working with banks and trading companies about "treating customers fairly." They're all petrified of coming a cropper of those guidelines.

My suggestion would be to read the TCA guidelines, and start using language from them in your emails. Explicitly state that you don't think you're being treated fairly, list all the ways they're not achieving those listed outcomes in the guidelines, and threaten to complain to the FCA.

Don't refer to the Distance Selling Directive/Regulations, as that's been superseded by the Consumer Contracts Regulations. It'd be worth reading up on your rights via that bit of legislation, too.

All the best on getting a successful outcome.
Some great advice in this, will defo read up on some of that

So how was it more? Did they drop the price of the part-ex? Don’t they guarantee that for at least a few days?
Nope, all the same … the only conclusion I have come to is that they must have dropped the residual value of the new car (which is essentially the bubble payment) meaning that they was more to pay over the term
The residual will be massively affected by the sale price , so when that dropped the residual should have followed at the same time. However my educated guess is that Tesla cocked it up !

Reactions: Mrklaw