Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scan My Tesla M3 owners who live in very cold climates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a Model 3 is parked UNPLUGGED in a very cold environment, does it ever actively warm the traction battery. My definition of active warming is power sent to the motor(s) stator to raise the cell temps. When the temps drop to -22F and below, does the M3 BMS attempt to warm the battery to protect it from possible permanent damage? I do not live is a climate that gets very cold but I do travel to the mountains of Colorado where I have experienced temps of down to -50F in past years. It is possible with a resent firmware update that the traction battery might be actively warmed when it wakes up to top off the 12V AGM battery but I a pretty sure it did not in the past? If true, the phantom drain could be significant! I know there are ways to get the battery to warm but will it do it if parked, unplugged, unattended with no external communications? All of my questions are for when the Model 3 is NOT plugged into shore power.

Reactions: go2realize
That is a good question. It is tough to know because you're asking to monitor a period where we're not in the car, after many hours of the car sleeping, after which an idle state would occur because the car wakes up by itself. We're typically not looking at ScanMyTesla at the proper moment. I'm not sure how we could capture such logs.
Do you have TeslaFi? You could probably see this in the idle/parked session right after a sleep session.
I have ScanMyTesla and TeslaFi and live in a cold region (Quebec, Canada). However it hasn't been particularly cold since I had the car and often park in a garage. Maybe someone else could look at their TeslaFi and see what type of power loss they see in those parking entries right after a sleep?

Scan My Tesla + Teslalogger does this continuosly. You could also start recording a CSV file with Scan My Tesla of just the pumps & temperatures before you leave the car, the size should be manageable since those signals are not too fast. Don't log battery power though, that's a 100 hz packet (whenever the car is awake).

In my experience, the car wakes up every 1 hour, year round, runs the pumps for 30 minutes, against an open radiator. I find this very strange, in fact so strange that I suspect a hasty software 'fix' from the model S fires last summer in warm climates, not thinking through what happens in cold climates. The effect of this is that every evening my car is working 6 out of 12 hours running pumps to passively cool down my battery. So it is nice and cold for the next morning, when I again burn electricity to passively heat it as I drive to work, then burning electricity to actively heat it when I plug in at work. Could also be all teslas do this, at least we've noticed our model 3's running pumps for seemingly no reason at random times since we got them in early 2019 (and that was before the fires, and the 85 'nerf')

My long-winded point is, this could perhaps be done to detect extreme temperatures, and react accordingly. You will probably need to circulate the fluids a bit to get a proper measurement. Although this seems excessive. And why the open radiator?

upload_2020-1-29_15-42-47.png

Well what is the "target bat activeheat"? In ScanMyTesla it shows at -7C for me. Is this the battery temperature at which the car would attempt to not go below by use of the HV pack energy? I don't get below -7C/22F regularly so I have not been able to see what happens when I get below the Target Bat ActiveHeat trigger.

It's funny, my target active heat was showing 10C not long ago but I've seen it at -7C recently. Haven't found the variable that makes it change yet. Same software version. I'm under the impression that's used when preheating the car or charging only.
I've seen my car sleep for 12 or more hours in a row from what TeslaFi says. It seems to not wake up much, but it's in a heated garage.

Note that the targets change depending on: Driving, charging, idle etc. They also seem to change slightly depending on SOC, at least when driving. I suppose these are the last variables to control the actual cooling and heating, so if you navigate to a supercharger I expect the 'target activeHeat' to jump up. But these are pretty new signals, I haven't had time to study them much yet.

Hi @amund7 ,

My name is Kartik and I am from USA. I work in an Electric Vehicle Startup based in Boston. We provide design solutions to vehicle manufacturers. We are currently working on a software which diagnosis the performance of an EV in real time and provides insights to increase battery life. In order to refine this model, we are in requirement of the ScanMyTesla app csv data.

I know that you have conducted extensive testing through the ScanMyTesla application and we are having issues with making sense of the data available online. Being an expert in this field, would it be possible for you to provide me with this data in a csv format. We would love to talk to you as well. Please let me know your thoughts. My email id is [email protected]

Please let me know in case of any questions. We would be more than happy to learn from you.

• Funny
Reactions: derotam