Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE Rate Plans changing 3/1/19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Transferring service in same home to my name... We've have solar panels and since purchased M3 couple months ago. I charge at 2am and last couple SCE bills, we've hit Tier 2 in tiered domestic plan.

Which SCE plan should I choose moving forward?
-Prime? Does this make sense w solar panels?
-TOU-4-9?
-Stay on tiered?

Transferring service in same home to my name... We've have solar panels and since purchased M3 couple months ago. I charge at 2am and last couple SCE bills, we've hit Tier 2 in tiered domestic plan.

-TOU-4-9?
-Stay on tiered?
I'm surprised they let you stay on tiered with Solar. Usually they would force you to a TOU schedule.

-TOU-4-9?
-Stay on tiered?
You should be able to run the plan comparison tool on SCE's site to determine which works best for you. Guessing probably TOU-D-4-9.

Almost two years exactly I re-checked the rate calculator and it's even worse compared to my original post.

Since then I've added a 3rd powerwall and more solar to max out my inverter, which means the rate comparison tool isn't 100% accurate for me.

I'm nearly 100% self powered these days, minus the few days we charge the EV. But the mid day production makes up for the night charging at current rates.

According to this page the gravy train will only last until July 31 of this year. :(

Screenshot from 2022-03-24 16-24-11.png

SCE's new TOU-D-PRIME residential rates DEFINITELY require changing the times we use electricity at our SoCal home... especially charging our 2015 Tesla Model S P85D.

We don't have solar at our home so we absolutely minimize our power consumption between 4:00 PM and 9:00 PM, ESPECIALLY Tesla charging. Now we charge our Tesla mid-day during Off Peak hours which sources the majority of our charging from grid renewable sources (primarily solar). Tesla's recent 'Off Peak Charge" option helps avoid SCE's 3X "On Peak" charges between 4:00 PM and 9:00 PM.

Only problem this presents if if your charging rate is too slow to complete before 4:00 PM = incomplete charge (your present % charge never reached).

GOOD NEWS for older Tesla models like our 2015 MS P85D with dual chargers that can charge at 80A... significantly reducing our charge time.

YES we looked at solar a couple of years ago but it was VERY expensive... AND Tesla refused to install Tesla solar panels on our our 2007 built roof since it had a "fragile" Spanish clay tile roof. SunPower + 2 other solar companies would but Tesla wouldn't and the other solar companies couldn't install Powerwalls can connect to Tesla's Virtual Grid so we'd get PAID for out overproduction. OUCH. We also would have had to upgrade our main service panel from 200A to 400A since our's is completely full. More OUCH.

IMG_3888.jpeg

We don't have solar at our home so we absolutely minimize our power consumption between 4:00 PM and 9:00 PM, ESPECIALLY Tesla charging. Now we charge our Tesla mid-day during Off Peak hours which sources the majority of our charging from grid renewable sources (primarily solar). Tesla's recent 'Off Peak Charge" option helps avoid SCE's 3X "On Peak" charges between 4:00 PM and 9:00 PM.

I try not to overthink it. I set my car to charge at 9:00PM. When I wake up, it's charged. If I drive somewhere during the day and get home before 4:00PM, I plug it in and manually start charging, followed by a "Hey Siri, set an alarm for 4PM". That way I get at least some mileage back sourced from greener energy compared to charging overnight while at the same time avoiding peak energy costs. But even if I had a Powerwall I'm not sure I'd do anything differently. I wouldn't want to subject the Powerwall to excessive charging cycles just to ensure my car's energy is sourced from my solar roof.

The good ol'days. My electricity bill in 2008 was $30 then jumped to $50 in 2015. Bought 2 Teslas and it jumped to $80. New rate TOU-Prime put me at $150. Got solar installed this year because the rate will just get more expensive in the next 5,10,15 years.

I am paying 700 a month right now

Solar and PW may make more sense to you then. I have a well insulated house in SoCal. I hardly need AC or Heat. It's only hot a few days around 8pm which is when I use AC between 8pm to 10pm. All my lights are LED so on average I only draw about 0.2 kW when AC is Off. My bills in the past were much lower around $50-$80 until TOU-D-A was phased out. I'm on TOU-PRIME now and my bills shot up to $150.

Since having solar for 3 months now, I still think it's not worth it for me, but it's cool to get clean energy and have blackout protection. I have already went through 4 blackouts and didn't effect my work at all. My system came out to be $22k after incentives so it'll take a long time to recoup at the current rate. However, SCE will keep raising rates and TOU-PRIME will be phased out to another expensive plan in the next 10 years. I was tired of all the SCE games and rate increases so I rather lock in my rates now for the next 20 years. I'm basically paying $91/month for the next 20 years or $150/month for the next 12 years than free energy for 8 years.

Here is my old rates when I swapped to TOU-A which I lost at the start of 2019, and my bills shot up.
IMG_4782.JPG

Also, of course the estimator lies or is OFF. Everything just ends up being more expensive than estimated.

20200310_164853.jpg

Last edited:
Solar and PW may make more sense to you then. I have a well insulated house in SoCal. I hardly need AC or Heat. It's only hot a few days around 8pm which is when I use AC between 8pm to 10pm. All my lights are LED so on average I only draw about 0.2 kW when AC is Off. My bills in the past were much lower around $50-$80 until TOU-D-A was phased out. I'm on TOU-PRIME now and my bills shot up to $150.

Since having solar for 3 months now, I still think it's not worth it for me, but it's cool to get clean energy and have blackout protection. I have already went through 4 blackouts and didn't effect my work at all. My system came out to be $22k after incentives so it'll take a long time to recoup at the current rate. However, SCE will keep raising rates and TOU-PRIME will be phased out to another expensive plan in the next 10 years. I was tired of all the SCE games and rate increases so I rather lock in my rates now for the next 20 years. I'm basically paying $91/month for the next 20 years or $150/month for the next 12 years than free energy for 8 years.

Here is my old rates when I swapped to TOU-A which I lost at the start of 2019, and my bills shot up.
View attachment 969781

Also, of course the estimator lies or is OFF. Everything just ends up being more expensive than estimated.

View attachment 969782
Unfortunately I am renting currently