Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE Rate Plans changing 3/1/19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing that I might in any way consider to be a "scam" is that SCE's rates are too high overall, due to their inefficiencies which have kept retail rates high since well before solar became a significant factor.

However, as a solar PV homeowner with EVs, I feel that TOU-D-A has been a very sweet deal, as our daytime solar surplus is credited at far higher rates than what we have to pay to charge the cars. I don't feel that I have the right to demand a continuation of this deal. Thanks to the proliferation of solar, daytime energy is simply not nearly as valuable as it used to be.

What I would like to see is a program that would allow and incentivize me as a Powerwall owner to store my generated solar energy in the Powerwalls each day and discharge it into the grid during those Peak evening hours and/or when requested by the utility company. That could help to pay for our solar/battery system.
according to the rate comparison tool, my home with solar and 2 teslas,

TOU-D-A (current): $379/yr
TOUD 4-9PM: $1936/yr
TOUD 5-8PM: $2008/yr

TOUD-Prime not available. yet. what a f'in scam.

TOU-D-PRIME calculation is now live in SCE's comparison tool.

Also noticed the rates have changed yet again from what I last recalled?
  • TOU-D-B winter weekday mid-peak is now $0.25 (was $0.24)
  • TOU-D-B summer weekday on-peak is now $0.47 (was $0.37)
  • TOU-D-PRIME winter super-off-peak is now $0.12 (was $0.13)
  • TOU-D-PRIME winter on-peak is now $0.35 (was $0.34)
  • TOU-D-PRIME summer weekday on-peak is now $0.38 (was $0.37)
After the recalculation, TOU-D-B is marginally cheaper than TOU-D-PRIME for me personally.

TOU-D-PRIME calculation is now live in SCE's comparison tool.

Also noticed the rates have changed yet again from what I last recalled?
  • TOU-D-B winter weekday mid-peak is now $0.25 (was $0.24)
  • TOU-D-B summer weekday on-peak is now $0.47 (was $0.37)
  • TOU-D-PRIME winter super-off-peak is now $0.12 (was $0.13)
  • TOU-D-PRIME winter on-peak is now $0.35 (was $0.34)
  • TOU-D-PRIME summer weekday on-peak is now $0.38 (was $0.37)
After the recalculation, TOU-D-B is marginally cheaper than TOU-D-PRIME for me personally.

I also ran SCE's Rate Comparison Tool and TOU-D-B was also marginally cheaper than TOU-D-B we're on now AND the TOU-D-B rates are LOWER too... so we're keeping our "grandfathered" TOU-D-B rate plan.

upload_2019-4-18_8-48-28.png

Last edited:
Reactions: gilscales
For my usage this new TOU-D-B rate has seen my cost per Kwh drop by 27% !

Under the new TOU-D-PRIME rate my projected bill will go up 4.5% from the new 27% rate reduction I just seen so I cannot complain

My on peak usage is pretty low as it hovers between 12% to 15% maxing out in the peak of summer to 17% when we are running A/C a lot, while super off peak is north of 57%, how does this compare to others here?

I am really glad to see the current TOU-D-B rate changed to the current rate even though for 4 months we will be paying that high on peak rate we will still be saving substantially from our old rate, to bad we cannot keep it longer!

fullsizeoutput_1401.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1404.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1405.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1400.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a horrible price increase!
That's what happens when the rate change effectively cuts most of your solar generation credit in half... it's part of why I'm researching expanding my 6 year old 5kW solar array with an additional 5kW (plus, it'll mean I'll have enough generation to feed the two Powerwalls that Tesla should, hypothetically, provide as part of the referral program awards at some point).

Anyway, on topic, I called SCE today since the Prime rate schedule still isn't showing up in the comparison tool for me and I was told that issue should have been fixed by now. Clearly, it isn't. SCE offered to do the rate comparison on their end and e-mail it to me within a few days.

I'm thinking about switching from NEM 1.0 to TOU Prime.
My power bill will definitely be higher than the for the next year since I don't charge at work anymore.

Any thoughts?
Technically, you are changing your rate schedule from Tiered to TOU-D-Prime. You will still be on NEM 1.0.
It says you will cut your annual bill in half. I don't see a reason not to do it.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I've been reading thru this thread with interest. I'm NEM 1.0 - went live 5/15. I have west facing panels that generate around 95-105% of our power needs, 55% of which is charging our EV, which we do on TOU-D-A, overnight, as the car is in use during the day. Our vendor is SCE.

I'm very concerned at the prospect of having to move to some of the newer TOU plans. Since going solar, i've become increasingly worried at SCE's attempt to 'catch and penalize' solar homes by increasingly altering the plans to make it less beneficial to have panels. The new TOU plans seem like they would be very detrimental to me. I thought NEM 1.0 protected me for 20yrs, but it seems I am mistaken on this. I'm hoping a couple of knowledgeable folks on this thread could answer a couple of questions:

1. From what I have recently read, my TOU-D-A plan is 'grandfathered' in for 5yrs from my operational date, not to go past 2022. I went live 5/2015 - does that mean likely some point in the middle of 2020 (next year!) SCE will force me on to a newer and likely terrible TOU plan?

2. Has this already happened to anyone here? Any comments or advice on that?

3. If my NEM 1.0 doesn't protect me from these types of radical rate/plan adjustments for more than 5yrs, what are the protections NEM 1.0 is giving me for the 20yr period it is supposed to cover?

I guess I'll hope the whole house battery tech gets a lot better and a lot cheaper in the near future.....

thanks in advance,
Matthew

NEM 1.0 covers the fact that they have to give you full credit for you generation, on whatever the applicable rate schedule is. NEM 2.0 adds "Non-Bypassable Charges" that cannot be offset by generation credits. The net difference for someone like you is that you would pay a fraction of a cent more for every kWh that you use to charge your car at night that cannot be offset by solar credits. This is based on my knowledge of PG&E rates and I assume it is the same for SCE since we both fall under the California Public Utilities Commission rules.

BTW, the grandfathering of NEM 1.0 should be 20 years from PTO. Any rate plan grandfathering is separate. In PG&E territory, the only thing fixed in a rate schedule is the TOU time bands. They can change the prices in those time bands almost at will. I am not sure what the CPUC procedure is for justifying kicking people out of rate plans. Generally it takes several years after they close the rate to new customers before they actually kick everyone out and force them into other plans.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I've been reading thru this thread with interest. I'm NEM 1.0 - went live 5/15. I have west facing panels that generate around 95-105% of our power needs, 55% of which is charging our EV, which we do on TOU-D-A, overnight, as the car is in use during the day. Our vendor is SCE.

I'm very concerned at the prospect of having to move to some of the newer TOU plans. Since going solar, i've become increasingly worried at SCE's attempt to 'catch and penalize' solar homes by increasingly altering the plans to make it less beneficial to have panels. The new TOU plans seem like they would be very detrimental to me. I thought NEM 1.0 protected me for 20yrs, but it seems I am mistaken on this. I'm hoping a couple of knowledgeable folks on this thread could answer a couple of questions:

1. From what I have recently read, my TOU-D-A plan is 'grandfathered' in for 5yrs from my operational date, not to go past 2022. I went live 5/2015 - does that mean likely some point in the middle of 2020 (next year!) SCE will force me on to a newer and likely terrible TOU plan?

2. Has this already happened to anyone here? Any comments or advice on that?

3. If my NEM 1.0 doesn't protect me from these types of radical rate/plan adjustments for more than 5yrs, what are the protections NEM 1.0 is giving me for the 20yr period it is supposed to cover?

I guess I'll hope the whole house battery tech gets a lot better and a lot cheaper in the near future.....

thanks in advance,
Matthew

I spoke to SCE before switching from my Tiered billing to TOU-D-Prime. Your generation is protected by NEM 1.0. If you generate at 38c per kWh, you'll get either one full kWh back at 38c, or 3 kWh back at 12c. TOU only changes the way you are billed for your comsumption. If you have no consumption from the grid, it doesn't matter if you are tiered or TOU. This is what they told me, I wouldn't be surprised if you just get 1 for 1 kWh, and the agent was misinformed.

I do not offset 100% of my usage, so for me it does matter and the TOU-D-Prime seems to be beneficial, since my panels are facing west-southwest and I can shift my heavy power use to either before 4pm or after 9pm.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I spoke to SCE before switching from my Tiered billing to TOU-D-Prime. Your generation is protected by NEM 1.0. If you generate at 38c per kWh, you'll get either one full kWh back at 38c, or 3 kWh back at 12c. TOU only changes the way you are billed for your comsumption. If you have no consumption from the grid, it doesn't matter if you are tiered or TOU. This is what they told me, I wouldn't be surprised if you just get 1 for 1 kWh, and the agent was misinformed.
With all California utilities, if you are a net zero kWh consumer/generator, you can have a large dollar credit balance due to TOU rates, but they won't pay you any of that credit balance. It's just wiped out at your annual true-up. So, to that extent, you're right, it doesn't matter if you're on TOU or Tiered because you're a zero kWh consumer.

I don't know how many CCAs (Community Choice Aggregation) there are in SCE territory, but there are quite a few in PG&E territory. With a CCA, you can get paid the TOU differentials on the Generation portion of your bill from the CCA. So, if you're in that zone where you have a credit balance but are a net kWh consumer, you are certain to save or even earn money with a CCA.