Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging for road trips...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this is a common scenario, but let's say I have a tripped planned in the morning where it makes sense to charge to 100%. I set the charge limit after my last trip the previous day and plug it in but, already being at a higher SoC of 60-80%, it starts charging immediately and only takes a couple hours to reach 100%.

Is there a way to use scheduled charging so that it doesn't start charging until it determines it'll reach the charge limit just before the set departure time?

I don't have peak times set because I am home most of the day and my rate would be higher while I'm in the house, so I'd rather it just start whenever I plug in. Is using the peak charging schedule the olky way to delay charging so my battery doesn't sit overnight at 100%?

I don't trust scheduled departure times. They never worked consistently for me.

I use TeslaFi (requires a subscription) to set the limit to 100% early in the morning and start charging a few minutes later. I set the limit back to 90% before the last stop of the day to avoid leaving the battery at 100% all night. I still have to check it when I wake up to make sure the car accepted the commands.

If that doesn't appeal then charge to 90% normally over night. Then first thing in the morning set the charge limit to 100% and start charging via the app. You'll get pretty close to 100% in an hour or so.

I don't trust scheduled departure times. They never worked consistently for me.

I use TeslaFi (requires a subscription) to set the limit to 100% early in the morning and start charging a few minutes later. I set the limit back to 90% before the last stop of the day to avoid leaving the battery at 100% all night. I still have to check it when I wake up to make sure the car accepted the commands.

If that doesn't appeal then charge to 90% normally over night. Then first thing in the morning set the charge limit to 100% and start charging via the app. You'll get pretty close to 100% in an hour or so.
Yep, my experience has been spotty with scheduled departure. I now do as you suggest...charge to 90% or so then to 95-97 and time it so that it's just finished before I want to leave.