Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new Model 3 owner but long-time Roadster and Volt owner I am wondering: Is good old simple charging start time (without departure target time/preconditioning) not an option? I want to set charging to begin at midnight but my departure times are highly variable and I do not want any climate preconditioning to kick in. I don't see a way to turn off the departure time function and leave the start charge time scheduled - seems like all or nothing. Are the two functions inextricably coupled? If so, is it possible to at least totally deactivate the preconditioning part of the departure time function? Thx to you pros for any help/clarification - I'm sure I missed a subtlety or trick in the new Model 3 software charging interface.

Does anyone else find it inconvenient that scheduled charging only specifies the start time of charging? in my neighborhood peak charging hours are 4 to 9 PM, so I schedule my charging to start at 9. But, if I come home at noon and want to quick charge, I need to remember to turn off scheduled charging and remember to turn it back on again.

it seems like it would be just as easy to specify "do not charge" hours. does anyone else experience this?

I live in UK and get discounted electricity from 12am - 5am. I set charging to start at 12am and set 'Depart at' to 5am. This seem to only charge the car between 12am - 5am. Hope this works! Mind you, it won't charge to its 90% limit in 5 hours if the car battery is nearly empty.

Has anyone noticed that the scheduled departure time option for scheduled charging seems to plan things such that charging is done at 0600 regardless of what departure time you put into the MCU? I have it set for a 0730 departure, but the car is starting to charge early and finish 90 minutes before the departure time.

I live in UK and get discounted electricity from 12am - 5am. I set charging to start at 12am and set 'Depart at' to 5am. This seem to only charge the car between 12am - 5am. Hope this works! Mind you, it won't charge to its 90% limit in 5 hours if the car battery is nearly empty.

• Informative
Reactions: Black/Black MS
Glad it’s not just me......I was looking at “start time” option and “departure time” option as independent things but I don’t see a way to turn one off and the other on. Not sure of the logic here. My needs only require a couple hours of charging overnight.
“Start charge” was set to 2am and “departure” time at 6. So which one is the car going to follow? Am I missing something?

Anyone else noticed the bug it will slowly trickle charge up past the set point when scheduled departure charge option is used? If I sit on a weekend and don’t use the car when it’s still plugged in......it will very very slowly add miles to the car well above the set point. at first I thought it was just a fluke and gave it the old 2thumb reset. But it doesn’t help. Mine went past 80% all the way to 90% on its own at the rate of maybe 1/2 mile an hour. no idea where it would stop or if it would stop.....happens each time now......
But I am usually unplugged and gone in the mornings so hasn’t bother me...BUT
Car says not charging but the wall charger streaming green lights say different.
Good grief does a anyone at Tesla test this *sugar* before pushing it out!
i understand occasional bugs but it’s almost laughable at the rate they come out of Fremont

• Informative
Reactions: Obsoletion

Does this method still work for us UK users?

Picked up my M3 today and want to set the charging to run between 00:30 and 04:30 when my Octopus Go rate is low.

Scheduled departure and scheduled charging are mutually exclusive. You have to choose which is more important to you. If leaving with a full charge is most important, pick scheduled departure. This will always start early enough to fully charge the car by the departure time, even if it means starting at 10pm or 6pm the night before (this varies based on your charging voltage/amps. If you care about the cheapest bill and your utility provides an off-hour window, pick scheduled charging and start in that window. This might leave you without a full charge in the morning if you charge at a low rate and/or your battery is at a low SoC.

I don't see either of these choices as bugs. I actually think they're great, and in the winter they can be very useful in combating the reduced regen you might get if the pack is below 67F. Charging the car right before you leave is good so that some of that waste heat is used in warming the pack.

I choose scheduled charging these days as it lets me charge to 90% overnight, but I don't have to listen to the whine of the coolant pumps when it finishes charging. They can run for up to 3 hours after finishing a charge if it's over 75%. Now I can charge to 90% starting at 3am and generally have a full battery when I leave in the summer.

If you care about the cheapest bill and your utility provides an off-hour window, pick scheduled charging and start in that window.

Except this doesn't actually solve the problem. My off peak is outside of 4-9 PM. So what if I start charging at 3PM? Currently it will happily charge right through the peak hours or just not start at all. It's not about setting the start time, it's about setting the STOP time.

From this point of view, all of the current features are backwards tbh. We should be able to specify the hours in which charging is allowed. Not start times, not departure times, not even stop times. If the car is plugged in within the allowable hours, it charges. If it's outside the allowable hours, it doesn't. Would be so much simpler than the current setup.

I get that the current features are useful for other use cases. But those uses cases are not relevant.

Reactions: Black/Black MS
Except this doesn't actually solve the problem. My off peak is outside of 4-9 PM. So what if I start charging at 3PM? Currently it will happily charge right through the peak hours or just not start at all. It's not about setting the start time, it's about setting the STOP time.

From this point of view, all of the current features are backwards tbh. We should be able to specify the hours in which charging is allowed. Not start times, not departure times, not even stop times. If the car is plugged in within the allowable hours, it charges. If it's outside the allowable hours, it doesn't. Would be so much simpler than the current setup.

I get that the current features are useful for other use cases. But those uses cases are not relevant.

I don't understand why you would schedule your charge to start right before your off-peak window ends. If utility rates are the most important thing, then don't schedule your start time until your off-peak window actually starts. If your car still doesn't finish charging before the off-peak window ends, get a faster charger, don't run your battery down as much, or just deal with the regular power rates for that small amount of time until the battery is full. Some of us are have the same rate all day long and don't get an off-peak window.

I don't understand why you would schedule your charge to start right before your off-peak window ends. If utility rates are the most important thing, then don't schedule your start time until your off-peak window actually starts. If your car still doesn't finish charging before the off-peak window ends, get a faster charger, don't run your battery down as much, or just deal with the regular power rates for that small amount of time until the battery is full. Some of us are have the same rate all day long and don't get an off-peak window.

I DON'T WANT TO SCHEDULE MY CHARGE. Clear? Good. Moving on...