Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else find it inconvenient that scheduled charging only specifies the start time of charging? in my neighborhood peak charging hours are 4 to 9 PM, so I schedule my charging to start at 9. But, if I come home at noon and want to quick charge, I need to remember to turn off scheduled charging and remember to turn it back on again.

it seems like it would be just as easy to specify "do not charge" hours. does anyone else experience this?

Schedule charging is super buggy for me. Especially on Sunday/Mondays. Yes I have it set to weekday only. It just doesn’t work and is random in behavior. Two weeks in a row and it’s far ready for prime time or my car has a very unique issue. I don’t see or hear others complaining. I am very surprised. Is it possible this is all unique to me? I created other threads and heard a few complaints but nothing really.

Agreed and ridiculous. But, supercharging can work if you're in a pinch.
Even if you have one near by, it's still a pain and a colossal waste of time to supercharge as the sole source of charging. For scheduled charging, it's probably better to get one of those power management solutions for your home which talks with Tesla chargers (I cannot recall their name off the top of my head, but that company was the only one Tesla ever shared the charger protocol with). The MCU is a single point of failure for a lot of functionality already, no need to keep adding to it, especially knowing that Tesla failed to design it to last long.

Scheduled Departure charging works half the time for me. It stinks. Half the mornings I wake up to it not have started. The app wakes up the car and causes it to start (when it’s too late). On Sunday evenings I plug in and it starts charging right away even though it should start middle of the night.

it would not be a big deal except with my new raven S this scheduled departure is the only way to get the car to precondition so I can use regen breaking. I just got 2019.36.2.2 hoping it would fix things, NOPE! Bummer. No regen breaking for me in New England for next 6 months.

Scheduled Departure charging works half the time for me. It stinks. Half the mornings I wake up to it not have started. The app wakes up the car and causes it to start (when it’s too late). On Sunday evenings I plug in and it starts charging right away even though it should start middle of the night.

it would not be a big deal except with my new raven S this scheduled departure is the only way to get the car to precondition so I can use regen breaking. I just got 2019.36.2.2 hoping it would fix things, NOPE! Bummer. No regen breaking for me in New England for next 6 months.
Sounds like standard Tesla software quality. Features work in some releases, but not all. Welcome to agile continuous beta by Elon. I've been a customer for over 6 years now, and the features not working has gotten worse over the years, especially since Model 3 came out. I suspect Model 3 is the focus of QA, if it works for Model S or X, great, but not a priority. It gets worse when Tesla comes out with new hardware, old hardware is even lower priority.

Last edited:
Sounds like standard Tesla software quality. Features work in some releases, but not all. Welcome to agile continuous beta by Elon. I've been a customer for over 6 years now, and the features not working has gotten worse over the years, especially since Model 3 came out. I suspect Model 3 is the focus of QA, if it works for Model S or X, great, but not a priority. It gets worse when Tesla comes out with new hardware, old hardware is even lower priority.
I guess it’s my fault for agreeing to take early software downloads.

I use an OpenEVSE charger I assembled from kit form. I used it for my Volt and now my 2015 MS. I have the car set to charge at 10:30 PM. So far, it always charges, and I've not had to update any charger firmware. Tesla updates talk to the charger, so far so good.

For me it’s more about getting the preconditioning scheduling capability then charging. For this benefit is why I even look to scheduled departure feature. I don’t need to schedule the charging in reality, but that of course is my situation.

Has anyone noticed that the scheduled departure time option for scheduled charging seems to plan things such that charging is done at 0600 regardless of what departure time you put into the MCU? I have it set for a 0730 departure, but the car is starting to charge early and finish 90 minutes before the departure time.

If you have an MCU1 (pre March 2018 Model S or X), remember that when your emmc dies (between 3-5 years), having set scheduled charging means you won't be able to charge your car until Tesla replaces the MCU. Just something to keep in mind.
Oh great, another thing to worry about :eek:
They should have put a WiFi module in the wall chargers, that way they become aware of time and all scheduling could have been done from the charger itself.