Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to schedule charging times on a Model S? The owner's manual states: "Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure: There are two ways in which you can schedule your vehicle's charging". However, I am unable to find any way of setting Scheduled Charging - only Scheduled Departure. Scheduled Charging does not seem to exist in software (2019.40.2.1). Any advice most appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_0335.jpeg

Thank you for your reply - but that's not what I'm asking... You'll note that pressing the "Schedule" button gives you the ability to set a scheduled "Departure", which is NOT what I want. I want to be able to set a scheduled "Charging Time". The software used to offer this - here's someone else's photo of the option from more than a year ago:

Tesla-Model-S-90D-–-The-All-Electric-Driving-Experience-MenStyleFashion-2017-5.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
As I said, press the “schedule” button and choose. Look at the picture I posted closer.

The menu shows 3 tabs. The first is “off”. The middle is “scheduled charging” and what you’re looking for. Pick the time you want the car to start charging and it will start at that time. The right is “scheduled departure”, the new feature included with recent updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and KerryOH
Ah! I see now! Sorry for my stoopidity... However, although I do see that setting the charging "Start" time is an option, there doesn't seem to be any way to set an "Off/Stop" time, no? Nor scheduling for all-day charging on weekends. Obviously, I'm trying to work around my electric company's Time of Use schedule - I used to have an actual home charger (a 15-year-old old Blink model, from back when we had a Nissan Leaf) but it blew up last week, so I'm now using the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector plugged directly into my 240V outlet. I appreciate your help (and patience!).

Reactions: ucmndd
No problem.

Yes, you’ve accurately captured the limitations of the current scheduled charging setup. All you get is a “start charging at X time” option, at which point the car charges until it hits the state of charge limit you’ve set.

I found that you can set both to work. However the one feature I hate is that it stops at 6am for what I assume is time of use. I don’t have that in my area. My rate is $.10 24 hours a day. I’d much prefer to charge and be done at my departure time and also for the heat to be on.

it would seem that an extra start stop feature could be added and also a departure time.

does anyone know how much extra electricity it will use to turn on the heat and have it run for 30 minutes?

FWIW, I finally got a response from Tesla Customer Support:

Thank you for contacting Tesla. I have included steps to help resolve your concern.

Scheduled Charging:

When you set a scheduled charging time, Model S displays the set time to begin charging when you are parked at the scheduled location. If, at the scheduled time, Model S is not plugged in at the location, charging starts as soon as you plug it in, provided you plug it in within six hours of the scheduled time.

If plugged in after six hours, charging does not start until the scheduled time on the next day. To override this setting, touch Start Charging or Stop Charging. When you set a scheduled charging time, Model S displays the set time on the instrument panel and touchscreen.

To set up a scheduled departure time, go to Charging > Scheduled Charging > Schedule and follow the onscreen instructions to customize your schedule.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Getting the vehicle to start charging isn’t the issue. Getting it to stop when the rate goes up is. At this point I set an alarm on my phone to stop the charging from the app. I sometimes wonder where they find the people that design and write the code. While I can see the scheduled departure might be useful to some, it has no value to me at this time. My schedule varies so much. Being able to schedule the start and stop times seems a basic requirement to be useful.

Trying to use scheduled charging with 18.10 and it appears to be disabled - it only lets me set departure time and the end of the low price energy time period. This was probably true in 18.2 as well, but at the time I was happy with departure time until Wednesday when it decided to start charging at 4 in the afternoon in the middle of a peak energy saving event. Selecting 'Change to Scheduled Charging' gives me this screen... no way to enable it, no way to set a time and no change to my scheduled departure.
20210702_181421241_iOS (2).jpg

Trying to use scheduled charging with 18.10 and it appears to be disabled - it only lets me set departure time and the end of the low price energy time period. This was probably true in 18.2 as well, but at the time I was happy with departure time until Wednesday when it decided to start charging at 4 in the afternoon in the middle of a peak energy saving event. Selecting 'Change to Scheduled Charging' gives me this screen... no way to enable it, no way to set a time and no change to my scheduled departure.
View attachment 680743
Can you click on the link below the greyed out toggle that says "Switch to Scheduled Departure"??

Or reset the MCU -- two scroll wheel pressed and held until screen restarts.

Click on the blue button, you should have a modal popup.
OK, I clicked on the blue button and got to the screen with my scheduled departure time, clicking on the blue button there ('SCHEDULED') allowed me to remove the scheduled departure and then I could set the scheduled charging. I am usually an ace with UIs, I have to say this one was pretty obscure. Thanks.

Reactions: mikes_fsd