Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

scheduled charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm trying to schedule my new model S so that it will charge anytime I plug it in except for a blackout window between 4-9PM. I set Enable Scheduled Charging for 9:00PM but it still starts charging as soon as I plug it in. I'm guessing I need to use Off-Peak Charge instead? How can I set it up to not charge during the 4-9PM windows when our rates are high?

I looked at the stats and 100% of the charging was reported at home, but I went ahead and selected a new electric rate plan and set it back to my home rate plan. So far no difference, the car starts charging immediately and also starts preconditioning.

It’s been a while but I can remember how I set my home address. Does this only come up if I issue a factory reset? I have no idea how it knows I am at home.

Upvote 0
I still can’t edit any scheduled departure time, the settings are greyed out. It looks like They moved the off-peak time location. It is now found inside a separate setting within the scheduled departure time. Off-peak charging was turned on, but clicking on the change off-peak link does nothing. Pre-conditioning was turned off.

Upvote 0
it looks like turning off off-peak charging and/or toggling preconditioning fixed the issues. Change off-peak link is now working and I can set the time. It was set to 6am as I previously set it, but I went ahead and changed the time and then back to 6. Plugging in the car does not seem to cause preconditioning and charging stops after the scan period as expected.

Scheduled charging can now be edited, so long as an off-peak time is not set.

Not sure what exact step fixed it, but if someone else runs into this problem I hope one of the easier steps above fixes it.

Upvote 0
First make sure you are not running any apps that talk to your Tesla, except the Tesla app, these are often the problem when you see times changing. Now then:

1. Schedule charge tells the car what time you want to START charging. If you plug in your car within about 6-hours of this time the car will not start charging until the time you have set. So you definitely do not want to set this at the end of off-peak since you will start charging during peak!
  2. Schedule Departure is something else. On the Schedule Departure page you have two options that are totally independent:
    1. If you turn on the "Precondition" option, then the departure time above has meaning, otherwise it does not. If, for example, you want your car battery and cabin temperatures to be ready for a 6 am departure, set the time in the departure window to 6 am and your car will be ready for you at 6 am. You can enable this function for all week or just on weekdays.
    2. If you enable "Off-peak charge" you will see new options below. This is terribly named!!! If you turn this on and set a time in the "Off-Peak End Time" window below, the car will will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.). You can enable this function for all week or just on weekdays. Note that when you plug in the car it will charge for a breif period to determine the available charge rate.
You can pick Schedule Charge or Schedule Departure, but not both.

Most people who have TOU plans use scheduled departure.
I don't live in an area with a variable electric rate schedule, so peak and off-peak charging mean nothing to me. However, I do occasionally want to schedule to charge to a higher level than daily driving for one day (e.g. before a longer trip). My 2019 Chevy Bolt is sooo much easier to schedule a departure charge time than my 2021 Model S. I just pick a time and a charge level, and it's done. There is no convenient way to schedule a single departure time in the Tesla! I can guess at the time I want it to *start* charging, or use the off-peak function, but then need to remember to turn it off if I only want it for one day! And I don't really care about "preconditioning", I often have the climate turned off anyway and just run a fan... Is this really that odd of a use case? Please, Tesla GUI designers: think about end users! GM got you on this (small) one!

Upvote 0
I don't live in an area with a variable electric rate schedule, so peak and off-peak charging mean nothing to me. However, I do occasionally want to schedule to charge to a higher level than daily driving for one day (e.g. before a longer trip). My 2019 Chevy Bolt is sooo much easier to schedule a departure charge time than my 2021 Model S. I just pick a time and a charge level, and it's done. There is no convenient way to schedule a single departure time in the Tesla! I can guess at the time I want it to *start* charging, or use the off-peak function, but then need to remember to turn it off if I only want it for one day! And I don't really care about "preconditioning", I often have the climate turned off anyway and just run a fan... Is this really that odd of a use case? Please, Tesla GUI designers: think about end users! GM got you on this (small) one!
Sounds pretty picky for a one-time scheduled departure time charge request. In Tesla Speak, set your departure time and the charging level, and you are done (do not set preconditioning on). You will have to remember to turn off your scheduled departure time the next day, and readjust the charge level after the one time event. It is designed to make it easy to set a scheduled time each day to work, so you don't have to remember to turn it on every day. In your case, you only need to turn it off one time, and done.

Upvote 0