Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

scheduled departure @100% or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
Mistimed my usual overnight octopus go top up and I'll likely be at 20% when I get home tonight. Have a long trip tomorrow that I want to be at 100% for. Not sure the best approach. Never used scheduled departure either. Should I

- just set scheduled departure to eg 8:30am when we should leave, and the desired charge level to 100% - it'll work it out and its reliable.
- set the charge to eg 90% and plug in as soon as I get home, then in the morning adjust to 100% when I wake up?

Or are they pretty much a wash and I'm fussing too much? 100% makes the difference between getting to the desitnation without needing to stop or not. (I may anyway but the choice would be nice)

Scheduled charging for me has always been reliable, though can sometimes miss by five minutes or so with high state of charge targets (hard to predict the current slow-down >98% due to BMS balancing over 90%). Add in climate pre-conditioning (kicks in 20 minutes before) to ensure pack is up to minimum temperature, given overnight into Thursday is likely to be sub-zero, then everything should be optimised. Set range mode (if available) as that works best for long trips to preserve charge. Also configure end of off-peak to align with scheduled departure time to not hold (true) 100% for too long.

These last two nights I've been experimenting with Schedule->Charge & it's worked both times (I do not use Schedule->Departure). This gives absolute certainty about when a charge will commence and that the car will receive up to 40% additional SOC during the Go Faster 5p four hour window. I have found that setting Scheduled Departure is too imprecise to calculate when the charge will actually start or even finish.
  • Car plugged in, target SOC (last night 90%) greater than current SOC (last night 77%).
  • Set my Go Faster start time to 02.30 in Scheduled charge which then appears both on screen in the car & in the Tesla app.
  • Make sure the slider is across in the Tesla app as shown below:
    IMG_4261.jpg
  • Then go to the wall charger (Zappi in my case) & set to Fast mode (Boost 7kW or whatever is max for any other charger).
  • The charge is then delayed by the car until the Scheduled charge start time. The charger isn't able to charge until the car allows.
  • No charges are set in the wall charger, it's simply acting as a 'dumb' 7kW supply much as a basic Tesla wall charger would.
.....here's an image taken from my PV inverter showing 77-90% SOC drawn from the grid last night using the above setup:
  • Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 14.08.40.png
Note: normally I set all charges using the Zappi but as I'm going away for a couple of months I've been testing alternative means to guarantor a charge if the cars' SOC falls below a certain level. The above seems to be the best.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 14.07.07.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 14.07.07.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Reactions: jlz78
why is the car charging immediately? Is scheduled departure just for preconditioning? I thought it would apply to the charge limit too? I set the timer for 8:30 and pressed ’set’ so it lit up as scheduled.

I don’t care about it using peak electric but I’d prefer it not charge to 100% by midnight and then sit overnight.

Scheduled departure includes charging timed to complete by the end of the off-peak period configured. I've noticed the car sometimes likes to charge early, but usually just stopping it via app is enough to cause it to happen overnight.

From owner's manual: If Model S/3 does not have enough time to complete charging during off-peak hours, it continues to charge until it reaches the target battery percentage.

Pre-conditioning is exclusively to do with cabin (first) and pack heating (second).

I don’t have off peak defined - I thought that would help so it would simply wait until X hours before leaving to start charging. So you *have* to set off peak hours for it to work properly? why is it so complicated for no clear reason?

edit: ok in the app I just stopped it charging (it had gotten to 73%). Went to the charge screen and it said it would precondition by 8:30. Pressed ‘charge’ and set a start charging time for 5:00. It then said it would start charging at 5:00 *and* precondition by 8:30.

when setting in the car I thought those two are mutually exclusive?

So no clear way to set a ‘charge to the desired level by X:XX’?

So no clear way to set a ‘charge to the desired level by X:XX’?

If you want to charge to 100% by a particular time ... e.g. 7am ... you already know you can add 10% per hour so just schedule the start time appropriately ... so if you already have 60% onboard you'll need 4 hours so start a scheduled charge at 3am. Obviously this is ignoring your cheap rate and any crossover is just good fortune, but I doubt this is going to be a regular requirement.

Do note that Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure are two different things. So if setting Scheduled Charging to start at 05:00 then it's up to you to ensure it reaches 100% by your departure time. Scheduled Departure will still have effect, but only for pre-conditioning in that case. Disable Scheduled Charging and then Scheduled Departure (once enabled) will automatically arrange the required start time of charging to align with your configured departure time, in conjunction with the end of off-peak rate and pre-conditioning if set.

Do note that Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure are two different things. So if setting Scheduled Charging to start at 05:00 then it's up to you to ensure it reaches 100% by your departure time. Scheduled Departure will still have effect, but only for pre-conditioning in that case. Disable Scheduled Charging and then Scheduled Departure (once enabled) will automatically arrange the required start time of charging to align with your configured departure time, in conjunction with the end of off-peak rate and pre-conditioning if set.

I had disabled scheduled charging and enabled scheduled departure and it still started charging immediately

anway in the end set it for 5am to start and it was at 100% by around 8.

I had disabled scheduled charging and enabled scheduled departure and it still started charging immediately

anway in the end set it for 5am to start and it was at 100% by around 8.
I was having the same situation. I have schedule departure at 8:30 am but it immediately charge once I hook it up. I notice you need to enable end off peak to make it work. In my case I set it to 5 pm.

Reactions: Mrklaw
@Mrklaw: If you aren’t concerned about dipping into your standard rate charge then try this I’ve used this a few times.
Set the schedule charge to commence at 00.30 and the final charge to 90%. Top up to 100% in the morning, starting about 75/90 minutes before your departure time. The car will not only be fully charged but the cabin will also be lovely & cosy when you depart.
It’s not complicated & has worked every time for me.

Reactions: Mrklaw
@Mrklaw: If you aren’t concerned about dipping into your standard rate charge then try this I’ve used this a few times.
Set the schedule charge to commence at 00.30 and the final charge to 90%. Top up to 100% in the morning, starting about 75/90 minutes before your departure time. The car will not only be fully charged but the cabin will also be lovely & cosy when you depart.
It’s not complicated & has worked every time for me.

thanks - and assume I switch the charger to 'fast' (zappi which is normally in eco++ to start at 00:30)? Works for me, I only need that occasionally

I was having the same situation. I have schedule departure at 8:30 am but it immediately charge once I hook it up. I notice you need to enable end off peak to make it work. In my case I set it to 5 pm.

I've only used Scheduled Departure a few times in my eight months of ownership. The first time it was just a bit confusing until I saw that once you make your settings the Charging screen shows you exactly what the car is going to do. It's either charging or tells you that it'll be ready to go by a certain time.

So it's been a month or two since I used Scheduled Departure. Today I wanted to set it for tomorrow morning. But every setting I tried would result in the car starting charging right away.

So I do a bit of research here and find references to location and off peak charging. Using the car and/or the iOS app I can't find any references to location and Scheduled Departure. I do see the Off Peak charging sub menu under Scheduled Departure.

I don't have any time of use advantages here, rate is the same 24x7. But Off Peak charging is on and set to finish before 11 am. So I change Off Peak to end at 8:30 am (same time as my Scheduled Departure). Bingo...car screen shows that it'll charge and be ready to go by 8:30 am...exactly what I want.

So I tried a few alternate times for the end of Off Peak...and each setting continues to show that Scheduled Departure will work just as I want, be ready to go by 8:30 am.

This seems like a bug to me. Scheduled Departure should work just fine with Off Peak charging turned off...but it would not work that way for me.