Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Off Peak Charging Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a Juice Box Pro 40 for home charging. It is set for 11 PM (off peak charging) and I simply plug in my Model S with scheduled charging turned off in the car. I expected the same from my Model 3 but was surprised when it did not charge overnight. Tesla sent me a work around which is to set the scheduled charging in the Model 3 for some time after the Juice Box is set to start charging. While this works, it creates problems for charging at other times (like remembering to disable the scheduled charging and then turn it back on). Have others had a similar problem?

I may be missing something from your usage scenario, but from what you have described, it seems like it would be easier for you to use the scheduled charging of the car(s) rather than the Juice Box. That is, keep the EVSE always on, and then a reasonable default charge start on the car (say 11pm). You can always charge at other times if you want (as you said you needed to do) by going to the app and remotely starting the charge, and this does not require turning off scheduled charging. If you don’t do anything else, it will just revert back to the normal schedule after charging is done. It seems that is all less work than changing the charge time on the EVSE directly for one-off cases.

The best usage case I’ve seen for having timing built in to EVSE is for one EVSE and multiple car charging with two output plugs. Then you use the EVSE timer to drive a contactor that switches between the two outputs.

I may be missing something from your usage scenario, but from what you have described, it seems like it would be easier for you to use the scheduled charging of the car(s) rather than the Juice Box. That is, keep the EVSE always on, and then a reasonable default charge start on the car (say 11pm). You can always charge at other times if you want (as you said you needed to do) by going to the app and remotely starting the charge, and this does not require turning off scheduled charging. If you don’t do anything else, it will just revert back to the normal schedule after charging is done. It seems that is all less work than changing the charge time on the EVSE directly for one-off cases.

The best usage case I’ve seen for having timing built in to EVSE is for one EVSE and multiple car charging with two output plugs. Then you use the EVSE timer to drive a contactor that switches between the two outputs.

You are no doubt correct in your suggestion, but old habits die hard. This one developed because I had a Nissan Leaf prior to the Model 3 and the off peak charging method was a back calculation from the termination time. That said, I don't see why the Model 3 can't charge the same way my Model S does. Thanks for your reply.

I first noticed this in my Roadster, Model 3 is behaving the same - it's GPS aware. At home, neither car starts charging when plugged in until their own scheduled times. At work, they both start as soon as they are plugged in - super cool first time I saw that happen :)

We have a juicebox as well but no internal timer as our first EV (and all since) have had scheduled charging of their own.