Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schneider takes delivery of 92 Freightliner eCascadia trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla wanted to get into OTR Trucks wouldn't they need to build Trucks with different kinds of frames, cabs and sleepers? Some of these sleepers are huge.

This is a great video! Just spent over an hour watching and re-watching it. Thanks for sharing.

Notes below. Overall, this factory is significantly different from anything Tesla would build. It's "Custom mass production operation" and I doubt Tesla will ever start doing that.

It's also only assembly. Everything is shipped in highly assembled (cabs, engines, transmissions). Tesla casts parts on site.

"200 trucks a day, each one unique, built to customer specification". They keep repeating the "each unique" all the time. "no two cabs are the same"

This is the difference right there. Not just colors, but different engines, and 2 to 4 axles. 2 sizes of cabs, 650 color options! 420-750HP. 550+ tire thread patters and 100 types of rims. Microwaves, fridges. Different diesels tanks (not clear how many)

They have a huge "market adaption center for the seemingly infinite customization and special requests". That is after all the options above. If parts of the vehicle are desired in different colors. They may repaint a cab completely. This may be necessary because they are so customized. If you only sell one model, and the color is not what the customer wants, just give it to someone else. And if a customer wants something in pink, send them to a wrapping shop, or even a paint store. Volvo's motto is "anything is possible"

Any one working in that building is not needed at Giga Austin.

"logistics is important", especially if each truck is unique, and has so many parts. I agree that a Gigafactory can handle that.

E.g. they have to carefully sort the painted cabs in the parking lot because they come in the wrong order. In a Gigafactory, they just come down the line. Volvo has only 40 cabs on site, if they run out, they will miss customer delivery deadlines. Then they still have a large cab assembly building (after they get cabs shipped?).

Tesla just makes one 1000hp truck, that works for the whole range of required HP (and beyond). Much simpler. The motors are much lighter, too. Can just be dropped in. Volvo has to assemble huge engines, transmissions, alternators, then assemble that into the chassis. That step alone takes a while. I-Shift has two drive shafts, two clutches. So much complexity needed, even compared to the Tesla Semi setup with three motors and the auto clutch.

Ans the number of parts. 50 different bolts just for the basic frame assembly. 1000 cable ties per truck. 1500 individual parts installed in 210 operations over 8 hours. And this is the main final assembly, where the stuff comes already assembled.

For the air compressor, a different combination of air hoses is required for each model, and a machine has to cut the right combination of those is important. No two fixes are the same. The complexity, and training required for this is crazy.

It will be interesting to see how fast they re-tool this to EV manufacturing.

"this steps could be carried out differently in the future" - They are working at the "production operation of tomorrow". Using AR/VR. Not simpler manufacturing, or fewer parts. Just better training of humans. And exo-skeletons to lighten the load on workers (29 min in). Reduces the weight by 27kg, but doesn't make him faster. Just better for the health. This is just fighting symptoms, instead of the root cause.

One person even admits that they cannot deploy robots because they have too much customization.

What they are missing is a guy at the top who ask "why are we doing it this complicated way"

Mats, wall panels, loud speakers, all fitted by hand. Especially important the bed (two sizes). Some customer request two foldaway bunks. Tesla will not do any of this for years. 100 different switches and plugs for the instrument cluster. A Tesla probably has 10. Volvo not only assembles each one, but then has to check each one, too. It takes 5.5 hours to assemble a cab. Some trucks have microwaves. Nice to have, but stuff like this makes manufacturing extremely expensive.

The wind shield is installed by a robot. It's the first robot we see. The robot costs 2.5M Euros. "Important this task is performed by the robot, we need absolute precision". Tire mounting is also done by robots.

Also, they replace an invisible crack in a blinker cover. Tesla wouldn't do that :) But after that audit, the guy drives the truck on a public road for 50km. What's the chance of getting another micro damage to the truck right there?

Chassis is 1800kg. Engine 2000kg, Cab 1300kg

It reminds me of my tour of the Toyota plant in Japan. They were so proud about the customization, and the many vehicles they can make there on a single line. And it was crowded, compared to Tesla Fremont, which is probably crowded compared to Austin or Berlin.
Thanks for the writeup. You saved me an hour. Or maybe cost me an hour... you made me want to watch it.

I have no doubt that in any industry that there is somebody fulfilling the need for custom widgets, even if the widget is a semi tractor. I'm curious, though, what percentage of the market this is? The fact that it's Volvo doing this and not a small shop means it's bigger than I guessed (and I have no experience here, my guess probably less good than flipping coins). But is this the whole niche and Volvo fills it? Or is this extremely common and Tesla is going to have a culture shock because they streamline around a very small number of configurations?

If Tesla wanted to get into OTR Trucks wouldn't they need to build Trucks with different kinds of frames, cabs and sleepers? Some of these sleepers are huge.
As has been said before; Tesla isn't going to try to replace every truck out there. They will make a few models, probably Day cab in 300/500 miles of range, and eventually a sleeper cab with ~450 miles range. (Maybe they will put a bigger battery in it to maintain the 500 miles of range on a charge.)

It will be a take it or leave it approach, and they will still be able to sell every single one they can make. (That is part of how they optimize manufacturing and are able to keep the costs down.)

I think Elon is possibly in two minds...most importantly he wants to end heavy vehicle pollution....but at the same time he won’t build a truck that isn’t a proper Tesla (intelligent, longe range, revolutionary). And this takes time, often years longer than originally envisioned. In the meantime other manufacturers are willing to supply the market immediately with off the shelf parts and technology.
And to be honest I can see Elon’s point...these short ranged trucks are going to give battery vehicles a bad name just like the early electric cars of the eighties. The change over may take longer but it will be permanent

Reactions: meitschis
a sleeper cab with ~450 miles range.
Sleeper will not really impact range. Same cross section, same profile/drag coefficient.
It will negatively impact payload. If the sleeper ads 1000lbs to the cab, that's 1000lbs less on the trailer.

If I were Tesla, I would sell cabs with larger, but minimal cabin, and let aftermarket deal with the complexity. Just create a bit more space in there, and a few electric connections, and someone else can put in fridges, microwaves, TVs, bunk beds etc.

Note how close this was to Tesla Semi delivery to PepsiCo.

I’ve seen those trucks before, in Los Angeles. I’m not sure Tesla’s semi had much to do with this.
Wonder if it was the other way around and Tesla is responding to the them. After all the Tesla Semi event seemed pretty half-hearted (compare it to any other event they had).

Reactions: AMPd