Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scoob’s sound proofing before & after experiment...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having read around here that just by adding a rear parcel shelf (apparently it didn't come with the car in the early years) a lot of noise from the hatch was dampened.

I wanted to experiment to take it a little further and added MLV to the underside of the parcel shelf. It's not visible at all and it didn't make it too heavy. I used simple staples so it's very easy to take off.

Screenshot_5.jpg

It's good to decouple the MLV from the car using closed cell foam (CCF). Also you don't want any gaps, because the sound will just enter through there.

Lots of good info here:
Vehicle Area Treatments | Sound Deadener Showdown

I'm likely going to have to pay someone to do this, since I have a condo and no garage. I can't really do jobs that take longer than 8 hours. I have someone in Southern California that might be able to do this. I'll share their info later if they are ok with it.

I'm going to get started on the doors. For practice I only took one apart today. Some very interesting findings so far.

- There is sound dampening material already stuck to the outer skin inside the door. This has to be from the factory since there's red over-spray on it. There are 3 sheets in there, about 10-15 inches. Probably they made some calculations what percentage should be covered. I'm not going to bother to take these off but I will add some Noico to the bare metal where I can reach in there.

- They've put a damned strap which holds the plastic panel to the door and I can't figure it out how to take it off. There is a position I can work without removing it, as in the picture, but it would have helped to be able to just take it off.

- I'm going to cut a sheet of MLV to cover the door as in Scoob's pictures but I can't tell if in his case, the opening covered by the black plastic panel was cut out from the MLV or it's one full sheet and the plastic hatch just holds it down. It would make more sense to have MLV behind that plastic since it feels very flimsy, for sure that alone won't isolate sounds. The downside by having full MLV behind it would be in case service is required there. Any thoughts on this?

Last question, since I am pulling the doors apart, it would be the perfect time for a small upgrade. Are there any better door speakers which would work mostly plug and play with the stock Tesla audio (NOT premium audio)?

1.jpeg

2.jpg

3.jpeg

I
- They've put a damned strap which holds the plastic panel to the door and I can't figure it out how to take it off. There is a position I can work without removing it, as in the picture, but it would have helped to be able to just take it off.

Mine are orange :) you could drill out the rivet, and rivet them back, but I found it rather handy to have it hanging there on the strap?

- I'm going to cut a sheet of MLV to cover the door as in Scoob's pictures but I can't tell if in his case, the opening covered by the black plastic panel was cut out from the MLV or it's one full sheet and the plastic hatch just holds it down. It would make more sense to have MLV behind that plastic since it feels very flimsy, for sure that alone won't isolate sounds. The downside by having full MLV behind it would be in case service is required there. Any thoughts on this?

did you see these pictures? Tesla S 4 door Hatchback 2013- Build Log | Sound Deadener Showdown

He put a few pieces of butyl on the back of the plastic access panel for vibration, and covered the whole door overtop the access panel with MLV.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.34.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.34.11 PM.png

Reactions: cucubits
Yeah, I've been keeping a tab open with that thread for weeks now :)

I wanted to go Scoob's route as it looks more tidy but it will be harder to service. On the other hand, I do want a bit more permanent way to stick the MLV there, I'm not sure I want to go the velcro route. I keep reading mixed views on this. Indeed for MLV you're supposed to have a decoupling layer of some foam but apparently this is counterproductive in cars (car doors). Can't find where I saw this but it seemed to make sense.

We'll see tomorrow, now I have to do it one way or another. I left the door panel just barely hanging on.
Yeah, you're right, the strap does help when working alone. Much easier to put back.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
View attachment 510990 One more thing to mention Gents. I'm absolutely blown away and so glad I added the NVX Sub / Amp combo. It completely changes the sound in the Car. My Lord, the low end bass was lacking in the premium sound system. Not anymore! I was hesitant to bother with adding the 10" Subwoofer. Didn't know how much of a difference It would make. Um Jaw Dropping! So clean, doesn't take up any usable space either.

Hands down Tesla should offer this as an option on all Model S. Outstanding!
What brand cargo area mat is that?

Have you considered applying that tar based or other type of out door based deadener to any of the suspension parts, since much of the tire / vibration noises trave through the tires-> wheels> >hubs> ect. or am I just sounding like i'm being weird..?

You're very welcome. I would no doubt do it again in any car in the future.
So glad I found this thread. Scooby-snack, thanks for sharing all your project details, man this is so cool. I once added sound deadening materials to our old Subaru Forester with great results, but a little nervous to take our 2021 Y apart. My wife and I are so disappointed with this car's ride quality lack of noise insulation. Definitely doesn't ride like a $70+K car. I would love to explore doing a similar project with our Y. Is the Tesla technician still around or willing to help me out? I'm in Livermore CA. I'm generally very handy, just would like someone knowledgable with all the specific trim, clips/fastners, etc to be around to make sure I don't make anything worse than it is.

So glad I found this thread. Scooby-snack, thanks for sharing all your project details, man this is so cool. I once added sound deadening materials to our old Subaru Forester with great results, but a little nervous to take our 2021 Y apart. My wife and I are so disappointed with this car's ride quality lack of noise insulation. Definitely doesn't ride like a $70+K car. I would love to explore doing a similar project with our Y. Is the Tesla technician still around or willing to help me out? I'm in Livermore CA. I'm generally very handy, just would like someone knowledgable with all the specific trim, clips/fastners, etc to be around to make sure I don't make anything worse than it is.
WOW.. What kind of test drive did you do before buying a $70k car? I would have at least found one to rent / test drive for a day..

Reactions: P85D13