Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scoob’s sound proofing before & after experiment...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How tricky is it to adjust the glass in these cars? Assuming I need to take the door panels off and dig around there. Is there a way to have the glass press just a bit harder on the seals?

The X was very easy. Hardest part was getting the door panel off.

On the X there is a stud with an Allen socket and a locknut. One at the top and bottom of each track. Just losen the nut and turn the stud. Yes, you can put more pressure but you have to be careful the whole window does not push away from the seal at the top of the door panel. That was my problem that it had to much pressure at the top.

I bought the 2018 Model X service manual off eBay to figure it out. Watching videos on youtube the older Model S was a different setup. Still adjustable but much harder. But I’m not sure about current Model S or the 3. Check Service manual for your year and model.

Yes that sounds like a plan. I live in Foresthill. Once she's all completed in the next couple of weeks we can meet up and compare notes
Scooby, I would really appreciate checking out your excellent mod, too. I am in Rocklin. I have thought a lot about noise reduction over the last year - I don’t have any rattles, but would like to have a quieter ride at freeway speed. I have a 2018 Model S with arachnids, and am enjoying a LH amp, and all 12 speakers upgraded. I want to keep my car for a long time and I think the noise reduction will help improve overall long-term enjoyment. Thanks for all the great pictures and explanation. I generally like to do my own work, but was wondering if you had a local shop do the install?

I battled this for a long time. I eventually replaced the adjusters on the body (not hatch) with solid rubber dowels that I cut down to fit. There is a lengthy thread here on TMC. I think search for pressure buffeting.

I've been reading a couple threads here. Good idea with the rubber rods. I've got it much better now by extending the plastic stoppers on the body. I'm assuming those are the ones which you replaced. Did it make a big difference in the sound?

I've been reading a couple threads here. Good idea with the rubber rods. I've got it much better now by extending the plastic stoppers on the body. I'm assuming those are the ones which you replaced. Did it make a big difference in the sound?
It alleviated a significant percentage of the buffeting/vibrating from the hatch movement. I have tried a number of other things, but that was the only real winner. I have a picture in one of the threads here.

It alleviated a significant percentage of the buffeting/vibrating from the hatch movement. I have tried a number of other things, but that was the only real winner. I have a picture in one of the threads here.

I think I found your pics that you mention. I saw the rubber rod but I though you meant changing the lower pads from the body, the plastic ones which basically just sit on a thread once extended a bit. I see you changed the "upper" adjusters on the body side.

Side question, I'm also very curious about the Porsche hatch weight. Where did you think to mount it? If you're too busy to run tests, I can offer my S to try it on, I'm very close, in Irving :D

IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_1927.JPG
IMG_4021.JPG
IMG_7747.JPG
IMG_8597.JPG
IMG_8600.JPG
Scooby, I would really appreciate checking out your excellent mod, too. I am in Rocklin. I have thought a lot about noise reduction over the last year - I don’t have any rattles, but would like to have a quieter ride at freeway speed. I have a 2018 Model S with arachnids, and am enjoying a LH amp, and all 12 speakers upgraded. I want to keep my car for a long time and I think the noise reduction will help improve overall long-term enjoyment. Thanks for all the great pictures and explanation. I generally like to do my own work, but was wondering if you had a local shop do the install?

Good Morning T- Shoot me a PM and I can give you the details on the installer. He works for Tesla. Knows all of the models Frame up. Amazing Detailed Work. He's coming out again this weekend to complete the Car. By the way the most noticeable difference was the Doors in the Mass Loaded Vinyl. With that said I feel that doing the entire car has no doubt significantly hushed the interior noise levels. I'll attach pictures of his door work he did over this last weekend. Pretty amazing Young Man. I feel like i'm the old guy by saying impressive to see someone so young be such a hard worker. Most of all his attention to detail is at the level of being Anal. Haha.

I’m pretty happy with the Raven Model X noise wise. Model 3 was just awful (tin can).

I did find a problem on the Model X in that the inside gasket along the top of the door panel was not sealing against the glass, only when the door was shut. The glass was adjusted poorly. After I adjusted it, it’s been pure bliss. With that gasket not sealed it defeats all the sound insulation on the back of the door panel, of which there was plenty. Not as quiet as my Jeep Summit was with acoustic glass and active noise cancelation but close.

One thing you can’t control on Tesla’s is all the glass. There is a lot of it, it’s thin and not acoustic glass. This is where a lot of noise comes from. Considering how much glass is in the Model X I can’t ask for more. I think the new suspension helps. And currently on 19” winter tire package. I don’t look forward to putting the summer 20’s back on.

P.S. I would have done a recording and RTA analysis (with Audacity) for a base line measurement. SPL meters are useless for this stuff. The loudest peak is not always the worst offender.

P.P.S. The sunscreen did help a lot on Model 3. Cut down noise reflection above your head. Model X sunscreen does not work out so well. But it may help Model S just as much as it did the 3. I’ve seen some folks put thinsulate above the sunscreen on Model 3.

Very true regarding the SPL meter results. While I do see improvement on the meter. There is a LARGE improvement to my ear. Mainly the overall solid feel to the interior as opposed to noises having a echoing effect it is now hushed and muffled. Dramatic difference. So much so I can isolate any noise or creek while driving instantly.

Very true regarding the SPL meter results. While I do see improvement on the meter. There is a LARGE improvement to my ear. Mainly the overall solid feel to the interior as opposed to noises having a echoing effect it is now hushed and muffled. Dramatic difference. So much so I can isolate any noise or creek while driving instantly.

Thank you so much for your update and your latest pictures. I check almost everyday to see if you've added anything new to this thread.

It sounds like the biggest difference, qualitatively, is felt when the four doors are treated.

Reactions: cucubits
Thank you so much for your update and your latest pictures. I check almost everyday to see if you've added anything new to this thread.

It sounds like the biggest difference, qualitatively, is felt when the four doors are treated.
No Doubt the doors made the biggest difference. This weekend he's coming out to line behind the rear seats, rear wheel well, and cargo area. Then that is it!

Scooby - first, yes, REALLY nice job by that installer...so clean! Second, did he/you do any foam between the MLV and the sheet metal? I've always read the MLV needed it as a "separation" layer of sorts so the sound/vibration wasn't conducted right through the MLV.

Scooby - first, yes, REALLY nice job by that installer...so clean! Second, did he/you do any foam between the MLV and the sheet metal? I've always read the MLV needed it as a "separation" layer of sorts so the sound/vibration wasn't conducted right through the MLV.
No he applied the MLV to the non insulated sections of the Car. Now that it's all complete, I can say it's night and day quieter. I just took the Tech for a Test Drive, He rides in Tesla's Daily obviously. Said he has never heard anything this quiet. Not even close! He literally couldn't believe the difference in sound!

Well Ladies & Gents. The sound proof project is complete. If anyone that is local to Sacramento wants to compare side by side you will be astonished on how much quieter the Car is. It's hard to describe or put into words except that it's literally night and day better! VERY happy with the results.

I think the combination of lining all that I did contributes to the overall results. In the stages I will say the Doors, and Rear of the Car made the most noticeable difference. Hit me up locals. Will be fun to have to witness the difference 1st hand.

*One thing I have to mention after lining the rear I cannot even hear the Rear Motor whine at ALL! I actually like the whirring sound of the Motor but it is completely muted now.* (The Tech was surprised to see the OEM insulation on the Rear of my Car. He indicated the earlier Model S's didn't have anything near the same. Shows that Tesla improvements to noise focused a lot of their attention on the rear of the Car. With that said we still did a layer on top of the factory rear insulation. Once completed it muted the Rear Motor completely. It's almost uncanny how quite the car is now)

Take Care-

Scoob
IMG_2129.JPG
IMG_3867.JPG
IMG_5213.JPG
IMG_6060.JPG
IMG_6544.JPG
IMG_8361.JPG
IMG_8696.JPG
IMG_8701.JPG
IMG_8703.JPG
IMG_8705.JPG

Well Ladies & Gents. The sound proof project is complete. If anyone that is local to Sacramento wants to compare side by side you will be astonished on how much quieter the Car is. It's hard to describe or put into words except that it's literally night and day better! VERY happy with the results.

I think the combination of lining all that I did contributes to the overall results. In the stages I will say the Doors, and Rear of the Car made the most noticeable difference. Hit me up locals. Will be fun to have to witness the difference 1st hand.

*One thing I have to mention after lining the rear I cannot even hear the Rear Motor whine at ALL! I actually like the whirring sound of the Motor but it is completely muted now.* (The Tech was surprised to see the OEM insulation on the Rear of my Car. He indicated the earlier Model S's didn't have anything near the same. Shows that Tesla improvements to noise focused a lot of their attention on the rear of the Car. With that said we still did a layer on top of the factory rear insulation. Once completed it muted the Rear Motor completely. It's almost uncanny how quite the car is now)

Take Care-

ScoobView attachment 510657View attachment 510658View attachment 510659View attachment 510660View attachment 510661View attachment 510662View attachment 510663View attachment 510664View attachment 510665View attachment 510666

Thank you for posting detailed pictures. Awesome to hear about the positive results. This is going to be my next project for sure. Hearing you describe the results makes me extremely excited at the possibility to have the cabin in my S even quieter. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple questions:

- roughly how much material went into this (4 doors + rear area)?
- did you purchase the material, if yes, could you tell me what type/thickness of MLV you got? Same with the Noico tape.
- you mentioned wheel well too, did he insulate anything there from the outside or you meant the area from the trunk?
- that blue padding on the trunk well, was it there from the factory? Is it also for insulation purposes?

Thank you for posting detailed pictures. Awesome to hear about the positive results. This is going to be my next project for sure. Hearing you describe the results makes me extremely excited at the possibility to have the cabin in my S even quieter. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple questions:

- roughly how much material went into this (4 doors + rear area)?
- did you purchase the material, if yes, could you tell me what type/thickness of MLV you got? Same with the Noico tape.
- you mentioned wheel well too, did he insulate anything there from the outside or you meant the area from the trunk?
- that blue padding on the trunk well, was it there from the factory? Is it also for insulation purposes?

I would like to learn about all the above too.

Thanks so much for giving us a wrap up of your project. I will keep “watching” this thread, because I’ll PM if I know I’ll be in the SMF area, and take you up on your offer.

Our current Model S75D will be traded in in about a year. My next Model S, I hope it’s going to be a “P”, will definitely have this type of work done.

Thanks again.

Reactions: scooby-snack
I'm most curious to know how drastic of a change in temperature did you notice? The one thing that irks me in my S, and rightfully so being in New England, is the draftiness I feel on my left leg. Its as if the cold is radiating straight thru the door. I would definitely like to do this if it would help with the overall draftiness of the car, mostly on the doors. Any sound improvement would just be gravy for me.