Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scraping noise mysteriously came and went

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had this issue today. Pulled over to try and record it, but it disappeared.
I've had this happen three different times over the last 15 months. The first time was horrifying, as it sounded like metal on metal scraping. Recently when it occurred I just accelerated a little, hit the brakes hard, and repeated a few times. Whatever was stuck was dislodged and the world was right again.

My new 3 started this horrible scraping sound out of the front end. Opened windows, certainly from outside. Pulled into a parking lot and it didn’t happen in R. Back in D started again. I went back and forth a couple times and D always happened. I just left and it stopped in a couple hundred feet. 2nd time. It’s in the front motor area. Not brakes.

Sounds like the same thing to me. It’s not motor related. In my case the sound changed along with wheel speed, not motor speed. The fact that you didn’t hear it in reverse pretty much confirms that was the case for you as well.

I just had this happen so came here seeking an answer. I heard the scraping sound. Earlier I had driven in a downpour, lots of pooled water and a flash flood warning issued. I also had been in a graveled driveway at the vet’s office. I went home for a few hours and then as I was just going out again, that is when I heard the scraping. Pulled over, got down on all fours to see what the car was dragging and saw nothing. Then, As I was slowly driving around the block to go home, it stopped. I hope we’re good. I’ll drive it again tomorrow.

I came here from a google search because I have this same problem. Went to a National Park and picked up a couple of pebbles. No tire / brake shops around so just wondering if I can drive in freeway speed with it. Seems like people are saying it's fine and will grind itself down before falling out.

Everyone in the park can hear me coming and going. I think 50 to 100 people heard me today as I drove up and down the park.

I was driving locally on Sunday when I began to notice a metallic scraping noise the would change with speed. I pulled into my driveway to check if anything came loose, but I couldn't see anything hanging from the vehicle. I checked the rear brakes since it that was the most obvious place where the noise would be coming from, but they looked okay. I called Tesla customer support, but they were closed for the weekend. I waited a half hour and then tried driving again. The scraping noise was still there. I drove for a few blocks and then pulled into a gas station to pick up something from the convenience store. When I pulled away, the noise was gone and has not returned.

I called Tesla service at 9 AM on Monday and they said it could have been a rock got stuck in the brake pad and then dislodged itself. I've never heard that happening, not even on any of the Tesla forums, but the service-person said that it happens from time-to-time.

Has this ever happened to anyone?
It happens with mine. Dont know what it is. It comes ang goes by time.

Happened to me today. It has been -17 Celsius today and there is lots of gravel on the roads to reduce ice. Went to the automatic car wash to see if the undercarriage wash would flush it out. When I pulled into my garage and parked the sound came back. I’ll try it again in the morning.