Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen is asleep but car can go into gear, learned something new.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
One of my irritants is the 3’s screen is off/asleep half the time when I get into the car. Takes a good 20-30 seconds for it to start up and I’m annoyed because I often need to haul ass ASAP.

Just found out today that the screen can be asleep but shifting into gear and moving is not an issue.

Of course you can’t close your garage door or have access to your rear view camera while the screen is booting but if you gotta book, you can go back to 1980 and use your mirrors when reversing.

Wondering if anyone else shares the same observation or my sleeping all the time screen is a feature from being built in a tent? ;)

The X’s screen seems to always be online when “ignition” is good to go.

I've had it blank out momentarily once or twice when I've already been in the car and my wife has gotten into the passenger seat. But while I frequently have to wait for it to power up before I can enter the car (because even though my phone has the Tesla App open and it showed car key connected from 50 feet away, the car often doesn't wake until I attempt to open the door), I don't have the problem of it remaining unresponsive after I enter (as, of course, I couldn't have entered ... )

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Mine has that problem (vin under 2000). Sometimes it takes over a minute to boot, but more commonly it is 30 seconds. I hate it when I get in the car in a dark parking lot and I want to lock the doors for security but can’t.

I brought it up at my last SC visit, but they said the next firmware would fix it and pushed an update. It didn’t. I have heard some folks have gotten screen replacements for the issue - I am going to bring it up again at my next SC visit. I have videoed it a couple of times to document how long it is taking.

Mine won’t let me shift into drive until the fans come on though.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
One of my irritants is the 3’s screen is off/asleep half the time when I get into the car. Takes a good 20-30 seconds for it to start up and I’m annoyed because I often need to haul ass ASAP.

Just found out today that the screen can be asleep but shifting into gear and moving is not an issue.

Of course you can’t close your garage door or have access to your rear view camera while the screen is booting but if you gotta book, you can go back to 1980 and use your mirrors when reversing.

Wondering if anyone else shares the same observation or my sleeping all the time screen is a feature from being built in a tent? ;)

The X’s screen seems to always be online when “ignition” is good to go.

Yes, screen can be off and you can still put the car into drive. These two are independent systems for safety reasons.
But normally Screen should come up right away, pretty much instant when you open the door.
Are you seeing a Tesla logo on the screen after you sat in the car and put into drive? If you are, for some reason your screen/auxiliary system is rebooting. It did happen to me couple times in last several months with older firmware.

I would suggest talk to SC for fix if your system keeps rebooting every time you are getting into car.( It should be more like putting laptop into sleep mode, not rebooting everytime).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and MXWing
Yes, screen can be off and you can still put the car into drive. These two are independent systems for safety reasons.
But normally Screen should come up right away, pretty much instant when you open the door.
Are you seeing a Tesla logo on the screen after you sat in the car and put into drive? If you are, for some reason your screen/auxiliary system is rebooting. It did happen to me couple times in last several months with older firmware.

I would suggest talk to SC for fix if your system keeps rebooting every time you are getting into car.( It should be more like putting laptop into sleep mode, not rebooting everytime).

This describes the situation to a 'T' lol. Reboot doesnt happen -everytime- but seems to happen too often for my taste.

Thankfully its at least a Linux kernel. I'd be in f'ed ville if I'm waiting for Windows or something. :D

You don't back into your garage for Batman mode exits? Dude, do you even Tesla?

P.S. Have never seen this issue. I'm actually a bit worried it means my phone's BT is able to maintain enough connection to keep the car out of deep sleep. I should ask the wife what her experience is leaving work at the end of the day, as her office should be well out of range of parking.