Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen went dark with headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had software updated last night. My screen went dark for two to three minutes this morning when I was driving. The headlights are working and I have cars around me. I cannot put on hazards lights. It was scary. Anyone else has similar experience or suggestions for me. Thanks very much!

Hazard lights should always work as long as the 12V battery is good and those lights function. The switch for the hazard lights is above the rear view mirror, Tesla was forced to make this a physical switch, the rules. If that is not working then schedule an apt. That is supposed to work no matter what, in case of disabled vehicle on side of road.

As for driving, the car is supposed to still be driveable even if the computer does a reboot. If you are uncomfortable about driving should that happen, just pull over and wait. The computer is an add-on, it should not interfere with your ability to still drive the car manually. Of course you will not have navigation, etc. while it is rebooting. If a computer reboot while driving would cause the car to be no longer driveable then there is a much bigger problem and we would not have these rolling computers on our roads.

I’m curious - does the screen freezing/going dark happen to everyone or is it somewhat rare? I ask because I’m getting the MY in a couple of weeks and I want to prepare my technophobic spouse appropriately. Trade off between scaring her vs informing her.

You have a faulty cable, most likely. Mine is worse. It’s flickering, unresponsive to touch, and goes total black. The car functions perfectly well tho, and you still can use voice control for all your needs. The two button reset helps to turn it back on, but it’s not a permanent fix. You would want to note the time down and make a service appointment.