Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDD multiple partitions for music and sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone managed to create a SSD (ideally the Samsung SSD T5 500gb or similar) on Windows with two partitions...
- One for TeslaCam, with a partition greater than 32gb
- One for USB Music

I cannot seem to get it configured to usable with this model without the TeslaCam parititon being 32gb or less.

Now before anyone chimes in and says there are threads about this all over the place, yes-- there are, but they are either for Mac, or for 32gb TeslaCam volumes, etc. I use Sentry mode a lot and while 16gb would be fine for the dashcam alone, I don't want to have to clean out the sentry data every few days. With a drive of this size I think it'd be completely reasonable to keep a few weeks data before purging.

Thanks in advance!

There's tons of threads on Windows and larger than 32GB partitions too. You need to use a 3rd party utility to do the formatting, as Windows built in ones won't do larger than 32GB in FAT32.
Yes, but none of them work for larger than 32gb. I am using the utility. I have yet to find a single thread that speaks to someone who has use a multi-partition SSD with the TeslaCam-specific partition being larger than 32gb -- it only is successfully larger if the TeslaCam partition is the ONLY partition on the disk.

I believe people have done this on a Mac but I'm not aware of someone doing it on Windows, but still, I'm not aware if anyone has done this at all, to be honest. Lots of people just make a large SSD for only TeslaCam, or just music, but not both -- and certainly not both with (for example) a 128gb TeslaCam partition and a second partition for music. That would be optimal for me with sentry mode.

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng
I’ve done it. I have the same SSD split for music and TeslaCam. I used the windows 10 disk management utility to delete all partitions and then manually make both my partitions without formatting (you right click on the unformatted space and click “new simple volume” and choose the size and then uncheck any options to format). This creates two unformatted partitions the size you want that you still need to format. I then formatted both partitions using the fat32 formatting utility linked in all the guides.

I’ve done it. I have the same SSD split for music and TeslaCam. I used the windows 10 disk management utility to delete all partitions and then manually make both my partitions without formatting (you right click on the unformatted space and click “new simple volume” and choose the size and then uncheck any options to format). This creates two unformatted partitions the size you want that you still need to format. I then formatted both partitions using the fat32 formatting utility linked in all the guides.

While it seems slightly different, I've been using DISKPART to make partitions before, so I'll try this. Will report.

Also the fat32formatter programmer also asks about cluster sizes. I've tended to opt as low as possible on the cluster sizes, this time I'm opting high. We'll see how it goes. Lower is better for consumption, but that might be what is causing problems, and no writeup mentions the cluster size in a consistent way either.

Thanks for the input - this is something that probably deserves a full writeup if it can be validated, since even in the other threads there are issues of people like me who never got this working.

UPDATE:
This has some initial success as the dashboard cam is lit, sentry is on, and music is loaded. I'll see if it's actually writing to the volume later today. :) I used a 128gb CAM partition and the rest MUSIC with a 500gb Samsung T5.

Yes, but none of them work for larger than 32gb.

Uh, yes, they do.

That's the entire point.

The built in windows ones don't support larger than 32GB for FAT32, the 3rd party ones do.

I am using the utility.

Not sure what utility you mean- since there's a bunch of them. Nearly all of which, besides the built-in windows ones, support larger than 32GB partitions.

I have yet to find a single thread that speaks to someone who has use a multi-partition SSD with the TeslaCam-specific partition being larger than 32gb -- it only is successfully larger if the TeslaCam partition is the ONLY partition on the disk.

This makes no sense. The extra partition has no effect at all on being able to format the first one.

I believe people have done this on a Mac but I'm not aware of someone doing it on Windows

Tons of folks have on both large keys and SSDs.

You simply need to use a 3rd party format utility in windows to do it (if you want larger than 32GB in FAT32)

These are the instructions I used, in the first post:

[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

I used a 256GB SSD, with most of it for TeslaCam.

I followed this instruction to the letter and it only worked for 16 or 32gb volumes for TeslaCam. I moved to 64gb and it failed, while the music volume was still good.

Now bear in mind that this is different (oh so slightly, but still significant) to what x0lliex is saying above, which does appear to be working for me. The tools are easy to use, yes, but the process is important. The point that Mac users have zero problems everywhere leads me to believe that it might be an issue with DISKPART vs the disk mgmt tool, or specific use of cluster sizes in the format utility.

I'll be doing more testing on this once I validate it's working fully (want to see some good writes of cam data!)

Now bear in mind that this is different (oh so slightly, but still significant) to what x0lliex is saying above, which does appear to be working for me. The tools are easy to use, yes, but the process is important. The point that Mac users have zero problems everywhere leads me to believe that it might be an issue with DISKPART vs the disk mgmt tool, or specific use of cluster sizes in the format utility.

I've been using various filesystems, including several variants of FAT, for decades; I work with computers for a living; and I wrote the GPT fdisk partitioning tool. That said, I'm not an expert on modern Windows. Nonetheless, I have a better-than-average understanding of the problems under discussion. When you prepare a USB drive for use, you will normally do two things with it, although many tools fold these two things into one operation:
  • Partition it -- This operation involves writing very simple data structures that divide the disk into parts. (Even a disk with a single volume is usually partitioned -- it's just got one partition on it.)
  • Create filesystem(s) on it -- This operation places more complex data structures inside each partition you created in the previous step. In the case of a TeslaCam partition, the filesystem must be FAT (normally FAT32).
There are variants on and exceptions to this rule, such as unpartitioned floppy disks and disks that use logical volume management (LVM) setups; but for the case of a disk with separate partitions for music and TeslaCam, this description applies.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the Windows DISKPART tool performs the partitioning task, but not the filesystem-creation task. To create a filesystem in Windows, you use a separate command-line tool, such as a standard Windows tool called FORMAT; or you can use a GUI disk management tool that performs both steps from one (GUI) operation.

Microsoft has chosen to limit the size of FAT32 filesystems that its tools create to 32GiB. I believe this is true both of FORMAT and the GUI Windows tool. Presumably this is done to encourage the use of more advanced filesystems like NTFS and exFAT, but neither of those options works for a TeslaCam directory, so Windows users who want to create a bigger-than-32GiB TeslaCam directory need a way around this limitation. Third-party tools for Windows are usually not so limited, so you can create bigger FAT filesystems with them. (The FAT data structures themselves support a FAT32 volume size of up to 2TiB, according to Wikipedia; Microsoft's much lower limit is purely arbitrary.) Note that the Windows OS can use bigger-than-32GiB FAT filesystems; it's only the tools used to create the filesystem that are so limited. As noted many places, the standard tools used to create FAT filesystems in other OSes, such as macOS and Linux, are not normally limited in the way Microsoft's FORMAT program is.

The first post in the thread that's referenced here and elsewhere explicitly says the following, which may be causing confusion:

SomeJoe7777 said:
You will need the 3rd-party Fat32Formatter utility to format the music partition, as Windows cannot format a partition larger than 32GB in FAT32. Do not use this utility to format the TeslaCam partition, this is what causes the corruption that stops the dashcam from working.

I don't know what the source is for the claim that third-party Windows tools produce filesystems that are more prone to corruption. I haven't seen this claim in recent posts. I have seen claims that Tesla has done something in the last few months to reduce the frequency of corruption. One observation I have is that there is, AFAIK, no way to unmount (aka "safely remove," "eject," or similar terms) a USB drive from the Tesla's UI. You can stop recording, but that's not the same thing. Any modern OS caches disk writes, which means they may be held in RAM for microseconds, seconds, minutes, or longer before being written to disk. If you stop recording and pull the disk out before the computer has flushed its cache, the result will be filesystem damage. Perhaps Tesla has reduced the time before it flushes its cache; or perhaps it's added a regular filesystem check to its operations, which would catch and correct filesystem damage before it gets bad enough to interfere with recordings. You can also run filesystem checks yourself (on your desktop or laptop computer) whenever you pull the TeslaCam disk.

I mostly use Linux, so my TeslaCam partition has a FAT32 filesystem created with Linux's mkdosfs utility. This has worked fine for me in the three months I've owned my Model 3. I can't comment on any Windows-specific utility, although there is a Windows port of mkdosfs, if you want to try it.

In any event, I believe that the explicit advice (quoted above) against using third-party partitioning tools is wrong. At a minimum, following this advice makes it impossible to use a bigger-than-32GiB partition for TeslaCam. Of course, there may be bugs in certain specific tools; but third-party FAT-creation tools have existed for decades, so I'd expect such bugs to be few and far between. I'd speculate that mistaken beliefs about correlations between filesystem corruption and third-party tools might have originated because of coincidental associations -- with a small sample size, a person might see a pattern in a random effect. That is, however, pure speculation. If somebody has data to back up a correlation, I'd be interested in seeing it. One more point to consider is that Tesla's computers run Linux, and in other contexts, Linux reads FAT filesystem created by everything, so it would be odd for a Linux-based computer to have problems with third-party FAT filesystems but not with Microsoft-created FAT filesystems.

Upon the recommendation from Electrek, I bought a Samsung SSD T5 500GB. I used a free utility for Windows from portableapps.com called Rufus. It's a small and simple formatting tool to install. You need to first click the checkbox for "List USB Hard Drives" for the drive to appear. Then, I set Boot selection to Non bootable. I set the File System to FAT32 with the default 16kb cluster size.

Make sure to periodically plug your T5 into a PC running Samsung's Portable SSD software (latest as of this post is v1.6.5)

It will pull an updated firmware from time to time (at least three revision thus farsince early summer) and flash to the drive.

Current firmware as of this post is MVT42P1Q_0408

I followed this instruction to the letter and it only worked for 16 or 32gb volumes for TeslaCam. I moved to 64gb and it failed, while the music volume was still good.

I'll be doing more testing on this once I validate it's working fully (want to see some good writes of cam data!)

So how did it turn out do you have fully working sentry mode and recent folder or does it stop recording after a while?

I can't speak to Windows either, but can confirm srs5694's post above that it works well in Linux (Mint) with the default disk partition software. I have two FAT32 partitions on a 250 GB Samsung SSD in a USB enclosure, with 200GB partition for TeslaCam (with a TeslaCam folder) and a 50GB partition for TeslaMusic with my mp3 files. Works great.

FYI, here are the commands for the macOS Terminal:
diskutil list # find the disk number for the USB drive, which I will call X diskutil partitionDisk /dev/diskX 2 MBR MS-DOS TESLA 200G MS-DOS MUSIC R

This creates 2 partitions: a 200 GB one for dash cam and the remainder for music.