Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat staining and wear by color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm two days away from locking in my seat color. I really want gray, however I'm planning to rent it out via Relay Rides, so I'm wanting a color that will wear with class over time. Does anyone have pics of their drivers seat with over 30K miles on the odo? I'm curing how big of an issue blue jean staining, oils, and just wear in general is on the lighter colors, especially gray.

Thanks!

My previous S with tan seats had no problem with blue jean staining but my 2015 S with the same tan interior seems more prone to jean staining. I need to clean the seats monthly to keep after it. (And I don't think it's the jeans 'cause they predate the new S.)

OP, as someone that has owned everything from black to tan to grey to ecru (off-white, in a convertible of all things) leather seats, I would NEVER consider putting lighter color leather in a car I was going to rent out unless you are prepared for some maintenance. I personally don't consider upkeep of lighter color leather seats to be a problem for me -- but I also don't have a bunch of people that frankly won't care the same way jumping in and out of the seats, never to be seen again. IMHO for your "business model", I'd go with black seats, no matter what your personal esthetics may prefer.

FWIW I have grey next gen seats in my 3-week old MS, and while I am happy with my choice, already know my preventative and ongoing maintenance will be necessary with my Tesla -- no different than the (perhaps even more supple) grey leather seats I had in one of my former Lexus for nearly 8 years. That leather looked great when I sold it, with only natural age wrinkles, but I also was diligent about upkeep, and learned to keep my rump from rubbing as much on the lower side bolster which also helped reduce some dye transfer and wear.

While not the same as dye transfer from clothing, my daughter spilled half a can of grape soda into the front seat. I cleaned up within 5 minutes and there was no staining of the tan leather seats. April 2013 build.

The big concern for me is always writing instruments. Ink is a pain to get out.

I'm two days away from locking in my seat color. I really want gray, however I'm planning to rent it out via Relay Rides, so I'm wanting a color that will wear with class over time. Does anyone have pics of their drivers seat with over 30K miles on the odo? I'm curing how big of an issue blue jean staining, oils, and just wear in general is on the lighter colors, especially gray.

Thanks!

I have 12K+ miles on Black Nappa seats, 3kids routinely in and out, watercolor paint spill, nosebleed and numerous shoe scuffs, mud, grass, etc. Scuffs are easily seen, but wipe off easily.

P.S. if you want $2K off your order, here's a VA referral code: Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors. I am 4 away from scoring a gigaparty invite. :)

Last edited: