Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second thoughts on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like someone said, it will be amazing if FSD can distinguish if someone is waiting to cross the zebra crossing or already crossed. Also the number of traffic lights in the uk with all the filters for left and right turn, i am willing to wager it will a few more years before it will work properly.

They really want V2I to sort the traffic light situation. Huge benefits of this, notwithstanding, if you do traffic lights solely visually, then you will miss out on many of these benefits.

I would just be happy if they do 80% well. Far off of that at the moment.

A reason would be that advances in AI are exponential, not linear, so when it happens you, me and the gatepost won't be expecting it :)

AI sometimes gets worse before it gets better.. learning isn't a linear thing. Possibly explains some of the regressions in NoA if there are learning algorithms behind it, although that's no comfort if it just scared the crap out of your passengers :p

"add_full":"Yes, add Full Self-Driving (£5,800). Your pricing will be updated. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle.","additional_due":"Additional Due: £0","additional_due_basic":"Additional Due: £0","additional_due_fsd":"Additional Due: £5,800","additional_due_both":"Additional Due: £5,800","after_delivery_price":"£7,000"

This is from my source (so not definitive), but it matches what I have seen elsewhere when I made my choice to go FSD, which was probably this text.

So £5800 when ordered, £7000 after delivery.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Finally got an email to confirm upgrade to performance lite without FSD. Money saved and I bet i can get to the destination quicker than with FSD. ;)
Downside is they said i should expect my car at end of August.:( If thats the case, it makes sense to wait for the 69 plate.:D
Just saw that. Basically trying to upsell with advanced summon.

Agreed. That’s approximately date when we expect Enhanced Summon to be in wide release. It will be magical. Lot of hard work by Autopilot team.

Will enhanced summon even work in the uk with the current legislation - limited to only operating within key fob range or whatever? Anyway, looking forward to Youtube vids of the chaos it will no doubt cause, lol!

Having seen how slow (and behind predictions) FSD improvements have been, I’ll be amazed if we have FSD in the UK in five years. Pleasantly surprised if we get it within 10 years. Our roads are incredibly diverse compared to American roads. Here FSD must be able to handle a single track road with passing places!

As for price, I’m certain that Tesla have a good technology lead at the moment, but over the next five or ten years that lead will very probably be eroded by the many competitors, and other manufacturers will be simply include it for free with their cars. My personal view is that the idea that the price of FSD will steadily increase over time is a simple marketing ploy by Tesla. They want your money now!

For me FSD is a pipe dream. It will come, eventually. But will it come during the time you keep your Model 3? So at the moment it’s a £5800 or £7000 bet. I’ve never been a gambling man.

I'm pretty convinced I have a much better understanding of the world around my car than AP ever will in the next decade or more

The two aren't really comparable though ... plenty of cases where AI will out perform human - because it is specific-purpose rather than multi-purpose like the brain

You (well "me" if not "you" :) ) : Car starts intruding from nearside lane, I swerve into adjacent offside lane which leads to :"Swerve then check if clear" and maybe hit someone, "Check if clear then swerve" and I may be hit by the intruding vehicle in the interim. I usually have a reasonably up to date idea of whether the adjacent lane is clear.

AP already knows the lane is clear, and if not precisely how much room is available to "yield" taking into account the trajectory of other traffic.

There is a YouTube of a car in a queue of traffic (stopped on AP) hit from behind and it steers into adjacent lane in order to avoid hitting the car in front it. AP started from a position of knowing it was clear ... I don't reckon I would have done that (even if I had been watching impeding disaster in my rear view mirror)

Humans miss potholes when we know exactly what they look like in daily life

Me: Blast. Need to remember that one is there for tomorrow ...
Tomorrow: There's a pothole somewhere near here. ... Blast!

Telsa: A Wazer told me there was a pothole at this Lat/Long to 18 digits precision :)

As long as it doesn't swerve to miss the pothole and hit the raised kerb, in coming car or cyclist.

Human is going to do that, AI is going to be aware of all those things (operative words being "going to be" :) )

over the next five or ten years that lead will very probably be eroded by the many competitors

Although: Tesla can rack up data from the whole fleet, and operate both shadow mode ("AP would have done X but human driver did Y. Why was that?") and simulation: run new AI Algorithm against all the journeys ever recorded ...

(Tesla are not actually recording ALL journeys, only some interesting ones - AFAIK - but of course they could start recording if they had a need)

That gives Tesla an edge over competition ... no telling that it will make a difference of course, but I'm definitely backing Musk on the route he has chosen to pursue.

... You heard it from me first :)

"Cost of Tesla full self-driving option increasing by ~$1000 on August 16"
Elon Musk on Twitter

Ignore Musk when he is on a Twitter binge....

32490956537_ec3d122db8_z_d.jpg

This is how much Tesla wanted to activate FSD retrospectively in March this year on our NON AP enabled X.

Our car now has FSD, and I paid £4900 which is only £500 more than what Tesla wanted for 'Extended Autopilot' back in 2017 at the point of ordering.

That's a fair point, it's not a Rolls Royce. I don't think anyone would buy it from me for £200k... but over the course of 10 years farming it out to the local Tesla Network, I may have accumulated £200k from it.

FSD = Bargain

Yeah, let us know how that "bargain" works out for you. I think you will be very disappointed in what you get back over the next 10 years. FSD is too far into the unknown at this point to be throwing £6k on a promise of some return, especially an Elon promise! But I will gladly eat my hat when your robo-taxi is racking up the fares around Glasgow while you sleep.

Reactions: Roy W.
This is how much Tesla wanted to activate FSD retrospectively in March this year on our NON AP enabled X.

Our car now has FSD, and I paid £4900 which is only £500 more than what Tesla wanted for 'Extended Autopilot' back in 2017 at the point of ordering.

I can only admire someone who is able to get 20,000 people to part with $500.00 for "Not a flame thrower"', you can't blame him for trying to get that much for FSD :)

• Funny
Reactions: goRt and Roy W.
Will enhanced summon even work in the uk with the current legislation - limited to only operating within key fob range or whatever? Anyway, looking forward to Youtube vids of the chaos it will no doubt cause, lol!

I do not understand the effort going into Advanced Summon. It is a nice "party piece", but don't see it getting much use. Even putting legislation aside, I'm going to have to trust my car a *lot* more than I currently do to allow it to drive itself, without me inside it, especially when I don't have perfect eyes-on it.

I think I speak for most of us when I'd just like Tesla to focus on:
  1. eliminating TACC phantom breaking on the motorway. This is still far worse for me than it was in the middle of 2018 :(
  2. improving (and configuring) the confidence of the lane changes on NoA. (It's not exactly Mad Max, it's more Max Bygraves!)
  3. improving the driver visualisation - the dancing cars are shocking. (I would never have shipped that visualisation!)

Reactions: Peteski
I do not understand the effort going into Advanced Summon. It is a nice "party piece", but don't see it getting much use. Even putting legislation aside, I'm going to have to trust my car a *lot* more than I currently do to allow it to drive itself, without me inside it, especially when I don't have perfect eyes-on it.

I think I speak for most of us when I'd just like Tesla to focus on:
  1. eliminating TACC phantom breaking on the motorway. This is still far worse for me than it was in the middle of 2018 :(
  2. improving (and configuring) the confidence of the lane changes on NoA. (It's not exactly Mad Max, it's more Max Bygraves!)
  3. improving the driver visualisation - the dancing cars are shocking. (I would never have shipped that visualisation!)

Totally agree. I don't even use basic Summon because of its infamous history of failures. The idea of getting out at the supermarket entrance and trusting it to park itself up safely is simply not happening for me. To add to your list of more useful improvements I would like to add:-

4. Improving speed control when driving in AP along winding single carriageways. At the moment it is woefully poor at deciding what speed to enter and exit bends. Makes the idea that we are on the verge of proper FSD laughable.