Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said P85D with Ludicrous in video.

I would think Tesla would want to do the announcing on such an upgrade.

No, they said P85D with Ludicrous AND AN ADDITIONAL UPDATE not yet public. An upgrade ON TOP of Ludicrous. It says this in the first 20 seconds of the video! And in the description!:

"My good friend Adam (aka. Kevlar Condom) recently had Tesla upgrade his car from Model S P85D_ Ludicrous edition (762hp) to an option that is not publicly available referred to as 'Secret Sauce'. I can't give you the figures on it since they haven't been made public yet under NDA but I can say it's a HUGE step over Ludicrous edition especially on the big end. I can't imagine how this car could get any faster!"

• Helpful
Reactions: sickfox and 1208
I think that was just the name they were using in the video - he wouldn't reveal what Tesla is calling it internally. It's probably Plaid.

Fair enough but someone has to explain "Plaid" to me. I've seen that term used here a lot and I had to look up the definition (even though I majored in English!) and sure enough it means what I thought it did which still makes me wonder what everyone is talking about. Now, if it was called "Preposterous" mode I'd get it. "Plaid" mode... goes right over my head?

Edit: Okay I googled "Maximum Plaid" and I see it refers to something in the "Spaceballs" movie. That's pretty cheesy if you ask me.

Fair enough but someone has to explain "Plaid" to me. I've seen that term used here a lot and I had to look up the definition (even though I majored in English!) and sure enough it means what I thought it did which still makes me wonder what everyone is talking about. Now, if it was called "Preposterous" mode I'd get it. "Plaid" mode... goes right over my head?

Edit: Okay I googled "Maximum Plaid" and I see it refers to something in the "Spaceballs" movie. That's pretty cheesy if you ask me.

Ludicrous speed is a Spaceball's reference. Plaid is after Ludicrous :)

Reactions: TrevTremaine
1st: he said "special sauce" (not secret)

2nd: why would mr. Kevlar Condom get this upgrade? Who is he? It found his name to be Adam Scmidt, a Seattle venture capitalist. Anyone heard of him being an early investor or owning a Founder's car or something?

3rd: I'd think the upgrade would be done on P90DL, but on P85DL..? Hmm...

4th: If it's true that he has Maximum Plaid upgrade on his P85D he just severely violated his NDA.

Reactions: ohmman and lklundin
The mistake Tesla made was in going straight to Ludicrous Speed (pun intended!). Since you have to be knowledgeable of Spaceballs the movie to understand the Plaid reference, it's not such a great idea to use it. However, the other speed references in the movie make sense to people who are not familiar with the movie, so it's fine to use those. Now, assuming Tesla wanted to do something after Ludicrous, the name for Ludicrous should have probably been Ridiculous, leaving Ludicrous for the step after that.

spaceballs.jpg

I dug through the owner's (Adam Schmidt) old tweets, and there's one from April 1st where he claims his 0-60mph is 2.4 seconds which is a number we've never seen before. From the video, he's clearly a Model S expert (Ludicrous Upgrade for P85D, knows the Ludicrous Mode easter egg, knows how to do Launch Control) so it's unlikely to be a typo or fib. Maybe he's a Tesla insider or beta firmware tester? Adam Schmidt on Twitter

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
When he holds down the Ludicrous button and gets the star field animation, I thought that was in every Ludicrous enabled Tesla? I'm not sure there is anything new in this video.

That wasn't the new thing. In the video, they talked about a new secret firmware as well as having to enter a special code (not shown on the video), and it is "...not the same as other P85D or P85D Ludicrous".

Reactions: gsxdsm