TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

Discussion in 'Model S' started by eclipxe, Apr 9, 2016.

1. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

• Like x 1
  2. jerry505

jerry505 Member

They said P85D with Ludicrous in video.

I would think Tesla would want to do the announcing on such an upgrade.

3. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

No, they said P85D with Ludicrous AND AN ADDITIONAL UPDATE not yet public. An upgrade ON TOP of Ludicrous. It says this in the first 20 seconds of the video! And in the description!:

"My good friend Adam (aka. Kevlar Condom) recently had Tesla upgrade his car from Model S P85D_ Ludicrous edition (762hp) to an option that is not publicly available referred to as 'Secret Sauce'. I can't give you the figures on it since they haven't been made public yet under NDA but I can say it's a HUGE step over Ludicrous edition especially on the big end. I can't imagine how this car could get any faster!"

• Helpful x 2
  4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Maximum Plaid? :)

• Like x 1
  5. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Can't confirm or deny

6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Man, I hope not. I was hoping they'd reserve Maximum Plaid for the new Roadster (anticipated). Interesting, anyway. Maybe this is part of the refresh.

7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

"Insane"... I get
    "Ludicrous"... I get
    "Secret Sauce".... ewwwwww!!!!

I don't believe it just because of the name.

• Like x 1
  8. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

I think that was just the name they were using in the video - he wouldn't reveal what Tesla is calling it internally. It's probably Plaid.

• Informative x 1
  9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Fair enough but someone has to explain "Plaid" to me. I've seen that term used here a lot and I had to look up the definition (even though I majored in English!) and sure enough it means what I thought it did which still makes me wonder what everyone is talking about. Now, if it was called "Preposterous" mode I'd get it. "Plaid" mode... goes right over my head?

Edit: Okay I googled "Maximum Plaid" and I see it refers to something in the "Spaceballs" movie. That's pretty cheesy if you ask me.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. SCDrJ

SCDrJ Member

That's where they got "Ludicrous Speed"... Because light speed was too slow!

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Ludicrous speed is a Spaceball's reference. Plaid is after Ludicrous :)

• Like x 1
  12. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

1st: he said "special sauce" (not secret)

2nd: why would mr. Kevlar Condom get this upgrade? Who is he? It found his name to be Adam Scmidt, a Seattle venture capitalist. Anyone heard of him being an early investor or owning a Founder's car or something?

3rd: I'd think the upgrade would be done on P90DL, but on P85DL..? Hmm...

4th: If it's true that he has Maximum Plaid upgrade on his P85D he just severely violated his NDA.

• Like x 2
  13. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

I think we'll find out more next week.

14. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Elon apparently is a big "Spaceballs" fan. Search YouTube for "Spaceballs" and "plaid". You'll see where "Ludicrous" mode comes from as well. :)

15. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

The mistake Tesla made was in going straight to Ludicrous Speed (pun intended!). Since you have to be knowledgeable of Spaceballs the movie to understand the Plaid reference, it's not such a great idea to use it. However, the other speed references in the movie make sense to people who are not familiar with the movie, so it's fine to use those. Now, assuming Tesla wanted to do something after Ludicrous, the name for Ludicrous should have probably been Ridiculous, leaving Ludicrous for the step after that.

[​IMG]

16. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Minimum Plaid? (to keep room for Maximum.. gotta start somewhere) ;)

PS--love how the background just zips by on the video when he floors it

17. commasign

commasign Active Member

If real, this would likely be the promised "performance at high speed" firmware upgrade and the firmware that Motortrend had for their 10.9 second quarter mile P90DL run.

• Like x 1
  18. commasign

commasign Active Member

#18 commasign, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    I dug through the owner's (Adam Schmidt) old tweets, and there's one from April 1st where he claims his 0-60mph is 2.4 seconds which is a number we've never seen before. From the video, he's clearly a Model S expert (Ludicrous Upgrade for P85D, knows the Ludicrous Mode easter egg, knows how to do Launch Control) so it's unlikely to be a typo or fib. Maybe he's a Tesla insider or beta firmware tester? Adam Schmidt on Twitter

• Informative x 1
  19. Drumheller

Drumheller Member

When he holds down the Ludicrous button and gets the star field animation, I thought that was in every Ludicrous enabled Tesla? I'm not sure there is anything new in this video.

20. commasign

commasign Active Member

That wasn't the new thing. In the video, they talked about a new secret firmware as well as having to enter a special code (not shown on the video), and it is "...not the same as other P85D or P85D Ludicrous".

• Like x 1