Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have spent my career as an engineer - specializing in material science. Many degrees, many hours in research labs. Your calculations SOUND fully reasonable. I've never been exposed to that flavor of physics. Can you illuminate how you got to these amazing figures? i.e. - how 1.1 g can be obtained - even with sticky tires. How 854 hp can't accelerate faster, just increase top speed. I am not doubting you. I've just never been exposed to these types of calculations.

Just FYI, a bunch of us with vbox and pbox accelerometers do record 1.1Gs from about 17 MPH to 35 MPH.

I have spent my career as an engineer - specializing in material science. Many degrees, many hours in research labs. Your calculations SOUND fully reasonable. I've never been exposed to that flavor of physics. Can you illuminate how you got to these amazing figures? i.e. - how 1.1 g can be obtained - even with sticky tires. How 854 hp can't accelerate faster, just increase top speed. I am not doubting you. I've just never been exposed to these types of calculations.

This does seem to violate the laws of friction, theoretical maximum mu value is unity which means theoretical max acceleration is 1g. But that is between surfaces where the applied force is perpendicular to the two parallel surfaces which are in contact with one another. IRL tires deform and fill small fissures in the road creating patches of contact where the applied force is not perpendicular to the two surfaces (like the teeth in gears but on a smaller scale and with smaller angles) creating an effective coefficient of friction greater than 1 and allowing accelerations greater than 1g to occur.

Drag radials actually form a temporary chemical bond with the road allowing accelerations greater than 3g to occur.

• Informative
Reactions: Caligula and ohmman
Just to add some additional information, for those interested how fast an EV (one fixed gear) with a certain power and friction coefficient could accelerate.

The discussed problem was the simplest one, we reach the point of maximum power at 60mph, but we could also assume that we have a friction coefficient of 1.1, but only 500kW. That would be a bit more complicated, but sill solvable.

To get the maximum acceleration, we need to use all the force we can, without slipping.

So we just calculate the speed until we can do that. In our example, 500kW, 2.2 tons and 1.1g, v = 500 kW /( 2200kg * 1.1*9.81m/s^2)
= 21.06 m/s

Now we need the time until we get there t = 21.06 m/s / (1.1 * 9.81 m/s^2) = 1.95s

After we get the time to the point of maximum acceleration, it gets a bit tricky and there are multiple solutions. In my opinion the easies way is using the correlation between energy and power. Power is energy d/dt. In our case we just assume that the power stays constant after that point and we don't have to dial back because of increased proximity and skin effect losses.

So we just need the additional energy needed, to have a car moving at 60mph, or 26.82 m/s , over a car moving at 21.06 m/s.
W = {1/2 * m * (Vend)^2} - {1/2 * m * (Vstart)^2} = 0.5 * 2,200kg * (Vend^2 - Vstart^2) = 303kJ

Now we divide that by 500kW and we get 0.61 seconds. We add both times and we get to 2.558s

So not really a lot less, although we reduced our power by about 25%. If we reduce power by 50%, to 319kW we still get a pretty decent 3.1 seconds. Even with just 200hp, less than a quarter of our original calculation, we still end up with less than 5.6 seconds. If we, on the other hand increase our friction coefficient against infinity, we still can't get less than 5.27 seconds with 200hp. Because thats the time it takes to "fill up" the car's energy from 0 to 791MJ with 150kW.

In realty its always a bit lower, since there are also rotation masses, especially the wheels, which also take up lots of energy to speed up and of course some reaction time, be it your brains switching frequency, or that of a microcontiolller, IGB, CPU or something like that.

You can easily do these calculations with excel, its interesting to see what effect power and friction have on 0-60, 0-100, or 0-155mph times. If you want, cow can also add aerodynamic drag, which I left out, or a reducing power curve.

Just to add some additional information, for those interested how fast an EV (one fixed gear) with a certain power and friction coefficient could accelerate.

The discussed problem was the simplest one, we reach the point of maximum power at 60mph, but we could also assume that we have a friction coefficient of 1.1, but only 500kW. That would be a bit more complicated, but sill solvable.

To get the maximum acceleration, we need to use all the force we can, without slipping.

So we just calculate the speed until we can do that. In our example, 500kW, 2.2 tons and 1.1g, v = 500 kW /( 2200kg * 1.1*9.81m/s^2)
= 21.06 m/s

Now we need the time until we get there t = 21.06 m/s / (1.1 * 9.81 m/s^2) = 1.95s

After we get the time to the point of maximum acceleration, it gets a bit tricky and there are multiple solutions. In my opinion the easies way is using the correlation between energy and power. Power is energy d/dt. In our case we just assume that the power stays constant after that point and we don't have to dial back because of increased proximity and skin effect losses.

So we just need the additional energy needed, to have a car moving at 60mph, or 26.82 m/s , over a car moving at 21.06 m/s.
W = {1/2 * m * (Vend)^2} - {1/2 * m * (Vstart)^2} = 0.5 * 2,200kg * (Vend^2 - Vstart^2) = 303kJ

Now we divide that by 500kW and we get 0.61 seconds. We add both times and we get to 2.558s

So not really a lot less, although we reduced our power by about 25%. If we reduce power by 50%, to 319kW we still get a pretty decent 3.1 seconds. Even with just 200hp, less than a quarter of our original calculation, we still end up with less than 5.6 seconds. If we, on the other hand increase our friction coefficient against infinity, we still can't get less than 5.27 seconds with 200hp. Because thats the time it takes to "fill up" the car's energy from 0 to 791MJ with 150kW.

In realty its always a bit lower, since there are also rotation masses, especially the wheels, which also take up lots of energy to speed up and of course some reaction time, be it your brains switching frequency, or that of a microcontiolller, IGB, CPU or something like that.

You can easily do these calculations with excel, its interesting to see what effect power and friction have on 0-60, 0-100, or 0-155mph times. If you want, cow can also add aerodynamic drag, which I left out, or a reducing power curve.
thanks all- for the clarifying formulas. now that you have revealed, they seem obvious.

Whats next? the P100D+ And i bet the 0-60 is going to be about 2.3 Seconds and after that an even faster car! with a 0-60 of about 1.0 Second is that when Tesla's gonna stop b/c the Lamborghini and Bugatti might get jealous..... but heck they probably are already jealous!!

Just for comparison: a Porsche 918 Spyder does 0-60 in 2.2 seconds (0-120 in 6.7 and 0-180 in 17.5 seconds), a rolling start (5-60) in 2.4 seconds, a quartermile in 9.8 seconds and goes around the Ring in less than 7 minutes. 1.24g acceleration.

You find yourself in the wrong lane, you didn't see the oncoming car when pulling out, etc.
Have you ever actually been in one of these situations without Ludicrous enabled and found the "basic" 90D power insufficient?
As a (mere ;)) 90D owner I find that a little hard to imagine.
As I commented in some other thread a while back, after my first drive in my brand-new 90D I told my wife I only then realized the true
reason that "Ludicrous speed" is called that: the idea that you'd need anything more than what the 90D can do is, just, "ludicrous".