Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Securing methods with trunk open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Occasionally I’ve had to put things in my trunk that would not allow me to close the trunk completely (long piece of wood, or piece of furniture). Does anyone have any advice or pictures of how they secure something down (or the open trunk) in the X if the trunk cannot be closed completely? The only latches I’ve seen are behind the middle row seats and on the sides near the trunk (ie 4 total). I have a tow hitch also so I imagine I could cannot a racket latch from the tow hitch to the front tow connector?

Hi,

Occasionally I’ve had to put things in my trunk that would not allow me to close the trunk completely (long piece of wood, or piece of furniture). Does anyone have any advice or pictures of how they secure something down (or the open trunk) in the X if the trunk cannot be closed completely? The only latches I’ve seen are behind the middle row seats and on the sides near the trunk (ie 4 total). I have a tow hitch also so I imagine I could cannot a racket latch from the tow hitch to the front tow connector?

That’s exactly what I do with the tow connector. With it in, I use a set of ratchet straps - 400lb or 500lb straps with the eye hooks. The higher capacity ones with claw hooks won’t work. But I don’t recommend securing heavy loads this way anyway.

I take one hook and I hook it into the trunk latch, this way it won’t beep at me and tell me the trunk is open. It also gives me confidence that it’s a secure hold.

With the other end, I hook it through the pin holes of the tow hook. Ratchet the lift gate down until I’m satisfied with the hold and how tight it is.

I set it up before I secure the load, but ratchet it after the load has been secured. How I secure the load will vary. With a couple of 3x5 boards, I’m ok with just the strap above. With bulky items, I’ve further secured using straps around the middle row monoposts, etc. really depends on the item.

I’ll setup a mock and take some pictures later for you

Reactions: njhtran