Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice: The value of AAA membership with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had AAA for more than 20 years.
I even had the long distance extra towing coverage.
One day I get stranded in on a highway.
When I called AAA the dispatcher asked th zip code of my location.
Well I had only a flip phone and no map.
So I explained my location.
But the dispatcher told me that she needed the zipcode.
After making circles for a while、
I decided to call my car insurrance.
Then I immediatly get a tow truck.
I called AAA and sent complain letters.
I never received any follow up.
I never renewed my membership either.

That is funny, I have had the exact same experience, except it was with my insurance roadside and not AAA. They actually wanted me to call 911 to get my zip code. I said nope and we called to complain the next day. Insurance said having the customer call 911 for a zip code was standard policy. We cancelled and switched to AAA after that. I have always been able to give a description to AAA and not needed a zip.

I am due for AAA renewal and I am not fully aware of Tesla's Roadside Assistance program. Do they cover towing if it becomes necessary? Any information would be appreciated. The $51 is no biggie but I hate to waste money on something I will never use.

Thank you!!

AAA is worth it for me because I can upgrade to more miles towing. I think Tesla roadside will tow longer distances for a warranty issue, but not for tires or anything like that. I have the top AAA membership that will tow me from 200 miles once, then 100 miles for any additional tows. So if I have a flat on the way to Vegas in the middle of the desert I can get back to civilization. The DMV and free notary services that come with it also make it worthwhile to me.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Can you even have AAA insurance coverage without their membership? At least in my region, AAA will NOT provide coverage without being a member, though it can be a family membership under someone else to make it slightly cheaper.

We don't have their insurance, go through another company for auto and home, not a problem having the AAA roadside/travel/DMV etc membership however. I'd be surprised if you want their auto/home insurance that you have to also sign up for membership in the other.

For fossils like me, I also like their paper road maps. Helluva a lot better than zooming in and out, in and out on a computer or cell phone screen. Their travel services aren't too bad either. It is nice to be able to speak with a real person and ask questions rather than groping about online. Motel discounts and other promotions can help a wee bit too.

Reactions: BluestarE3
For fossils like me, I also like their paper road maps. Helluva a lot better than zooming in and out, in and out on a computer or cell phone screen. Their travel services aren't too bad either. It is nice to be able to speak with a real person and ask questions rather than groping about online. Motel discounts and other promotions can help a wee bit too.
I never even learned how to read a map. The navigation in the Tesla is one of my favorite things about the car.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Same here! For us, their towing service isn't even the primary reason for maintaining our AAA memberships.

We have the AAA Premier membership which provides up to 200 miles of towing, but we still have an ICE car (NSX) and a plug in hybrid (2016 Volt). Actually got to use the $50 reimbursement perk for a windshield replacement on the Volt last year.

Be aware that too many claims with your insurance Co’s (USAA for instance) roadside assistance (unlock, jumpstart, flat, etc) will trigger a rate increase or policy cancelation when you actually do have an accident, because “too many claims”. Thanks USAA!

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Maybe slow down a bit here. Changing the 12V battery in a Tesla is not a simple In/Out job. There are very specific procedures to go through. Check out this YouTube video to see what I'm getting at. Good luck and be careful.

Agree, to be clear my point was they can BRING a fresh 12v battery. Other assumptions need to be verified but if they couldn’t never do that, this rest of the inquiry is moot.

Our car insurance provides roadside coverage at least as good as AAA. I've dropped them after 30+ years of membership because their service is no better than what the car insurance provides and I can now afford to buy cars that don't break down on a monthly basis (back in the days of the series '68 Dodge Darts I really got my money's worth!-- and that was despite a trunk full of parts and tools to fix most problems) Anyway, I have had to get roadside service I think twice in the last decade, and it's just as easy and cheaper to just call a local garage/tow company. I'm hoping my new Y will maintain that trend.

For what it is worth--

I recently saw that AAA has an agreement with EvGO, at least in California. Don't know if it is nationwide. AAA members do not have to pay the monthly subscription fee for EvGO, nor do they have to pay the one-off fee just to connect. These charges are waived for AAA members. Per kWh charges at one spot in California are 34 cents from midnight to 8AM, 39 cents from 8AM to 4PM, and 48 cents from 4PM to 9PM, dropping back to 39 cents for the 9PM to midnight slot.

Anyway, EvGO has been installing Level 3 charging throughout the US the past couple of years using VW's money. The speeds are not earth shattering, but they are L3. Most installations have a combination of CCS and CHAdeMO connectors.

That said, more and more of them have a single Tesla connector that is the same as the ones at Superchargers. (Not all locations have Tesla connectors, but the ones that do show up in the navigation strip on the touchscreen.) However, they are limited to 50kW. So, while not nearly as fast as Superchargers, they will provide some relief when traveling, especially if the slower charge speed allows for grabbing a bite to eat without worrying about idle fees.

Indeed... I had a pay-as-you-go account with EVgo until somebody here mentioned the AAA offer so I immediately signed up:

EVgoProfile.jpg

Reactions: lUtriaNt