Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Alpha Jan 4 Tesla analysis - very negative article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have completely failed to understand that Tesla is not only an EV company, it is also an energy storage and management company whose first product was an EV. Obviously batteries are critical to EVs, and as such Tesla needs to have a reliable and highly scalable source of the most efficient batteries available. But you ignore the fact that the potential for Tesla Energy products is at least as great if not greater than the potential for selling EVs across all automotive market segments (which is a vast market). Tesla Energy storage and and energy management systems have incredible market potential. But your analysis does not include them.
I am long TLSA.

You're right. I do not include any revenue or profit from the "energy storage and management" business, because to my knowledge such business has approximately zero revenue at this time. Other battery companies have razor thin margins, and massive economies of scale. People who have analyzed products such as the powerwall have asserted it will have a 40-year payback period, making it totally not economical.

But you're right, if you want to assume this will be huge, then you should absolutely continue to be long the stock.

You could absolutely be correct. You seem very bullish on the energy business, and I just think it is very unlikely it will make any money. I see zero sales as of right now. And I see existing players with massive economies of scale making razor thin margins. And thus I value such business at zero. If Tesla starts demonstrating actual sales/profits from such business, I will revise my analysis. In my humble opinion however, I think it is very difficult to believe a brand new company with no experience manufacturing batteries will suddenly displace existing manufacturers and create a massive new market. I have also not seen any analysis showing that battery storage is far more economical at utility scale than existing solutions when peak power is needed. But yeah, if I'm wrong I could lose money.

Regarding Amazon, you're right that some people who short Tesla might also make similar arguments to short Amazon. I thought about it and ran the numbers, and I actually would not short Amazon at this level. Amazon trades at a high Price-to-Earnings ratio because it has little earnings. However, Amazon trades at a very LOW ratio of Enterprise Value-to-Revenue. Basically Amazon breaks even because they reinvest everything in the business. I suspect they could aggressively cut overhead and ramp up profits. Tesla, on the other hand, trades at an Enterprise-Value-to-Revenue ratio of 7.5x which is sky high compared to F and GM. Yes, it's true their revenue is growing 50% annually, which suggests they deserve a higher multiple. Tesla also loses a lot of money using normal accounting and not their subjective accounting. And as Tesla has grown, their losses grow faster -- possibly because they are "investing" but possibly because their sales/overhead spending is just way too high relative to revenue. I just think it is far more likely than not that Tesla fails to ever make meaningful profits that justify anything near the current stock price.

- - - Updated - - -

You better recheck that 40-year payback calculation.

Just saying.

GSP

I think it was a Forbes or Bloomberg argument. They are pretty smart.

There are no battery energy storage companies with "massive economies of scale" right now selling a product comparable to the Tesla Energy products, which are being produced and sold right now. And Tesla Energy is not just about selling batteries at "razor thin margins", it's about selling energy management systems.
You need to do a lot more research.

There are no battery energy storage companies with "massive economies of scale" right now selling a product comparable to the Tesla Energy products, which are being produced and sold right now. And Tesla Energy is not just about selling batteries at "razor thin margins", it's about selling energy management systems.
You need to do a lot more research.

Nah I'm good. But I love when people get upset about hearing rational arguments that call into question their religion. Until Tesla actually discloses revenue from Tesla Energy in its 10-Q, I will continue to assume this has zero revenue and it is a make-believe business. But you go right on believing it is a huge business.

BTW I have a 7.0kw solar panel array on my home and love it. I considered battery backup systems including the Tesla products, but they make zero economic sense due to the decades-long-payback period.

If others decide otherwise, I would love to hear your calculations. I am open to being proven wrong.

You could absolutely be correct. You seem very bullish on the energy business, and I just think it is very unlikely it will make any money. I see zero sales as of right now. And I see existing players with massive economies of scale making razor thin margins. And thus I value such business at zero. If Tesla starts demonstrating actual sales/profits from such business, I will revise my analysis. In my humble opinion however, I think it is very difficult to believe a brand new company with no experience manufacturing batteries will suddenly displace existing manufacturers and create a massive new market. I have also not seen any analysis showing that battery storage is far more economical at utility scale than existing solutions when peak power is needed. But yeah, if I'm wrong I could lose money.

Regarding Amazon, you're right that some people who short Tesla might also make similar arguments to short Amazon. I thought about it and ran the numbers, and I actually would not short Amazon at this level. Amazon trades at a high Price-to-Earnings ratio because it has little earnings. However, Amazon trades at a very LOW ratio of Enterprise Value-to-Revenue. Basically Amazon breaks even because they reinvest everything in the business. I suspect they could aggressively cut overhead and ramp up profits. Tesla, on the other hand, trades at an Enterprise-Value-to-Revenue ratio of 7.5x which is sky high compared to F and GM. Yes, it's true their revenue is growing 50% annually, which suggests they deserve a higher multiple. Tesla also loses a lot of money using normal accounting and not their subjective accounting. And as Tesla has grown, their losses grow faster -- possibly because they are "investing" but possibly because their sales/overhead spending is just way too high relative to revenue. I just think it is far more likely than not that Tesla fails to ever make meaningful profits that justify anything near the current stock price.

With the Amazon analogy I was comparing Amazon in the late 90s to where Tesla is today. The arguments against Amazon were similar then to your arguments against Tesla today.

Tesla was started to be a top down disruptor and it will succeed or fail based on achieving that goal. Standard market analysis doesn't work well on disruptors. In another thread I went through the 20 reasons start ups fail and why I think they apply or don't apply to Tesla.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/59636-Why-I-Think-Tesla-is-Unlikely-to-Fail

Disruptors can be killed by outside forces, Tesla almost bit the dust in late 2008, but a major factor that makes or breaks these types of companies are key personnel and their capabilities. Apple saw great success in the early years under Steve Jobs, then the board forced him out and brought in the former CEO of Pepsi and the company floundered for a decade until they got Steve Jobs back. Microsoft was one of the most dominant companies in the computer business under Bill Gates, but they have been in decline since Gates stepped down.

Nobody would have thought Apple would become one of the worlds biggest companies in 1980s when their only product was the Apple II. Jobs was a master at knowing what people would want before they knew they wanted it and he guided projects to those ends. He created many things that became dominant or at least very influential players in their market niches. Jobs was also one of the best industrial designers of the last 50 years. Apple became a cutting edge company in creating the form of their products.

Microsoft was mostly unknown when they made the deal with IBM and Gates inserted a seemingly innocuous clause in the contract that opened the door for for massive growth. That clause was the work of Gates himself. But the phenomenal growth of Microsoft wasn't just due to that, Gates has the ability to understand everything going on in his company down to the deepest level. There are stories of developers presenting projects to Gates and getting pointed questions about deep details nobody else had seen. Gates is also a master business leader, which is why Microsoft became such a dominant company by the early 1990s. His grandfather founded one of the most powerful law firms in Washington State with many big business clients and his father was a partner there. He picked up his business acumen from his father and grandfather growing up. A lot of the early computer companies were run by people with more vision than business skill and Microsoft with a savvy businessman at the helm who also understood what he was doing.

Elon Musk has proven to be kind of a mix of Jobs and Gates. He has Jobs talent for foreseeing what people will want and Gates' ability to understand things down the the core. Musk has fired people who said something was not possible, then did their job to prove it could be done. Musk is also a fairly good businessman, though not as ruthless a competitor as Gates.

Tesla may still fail, but I think Tesla has more going for it than you think and analysts frequently make the mistake of underestimating dynamic leaders. The fact is that most CEOs are average leaders who only got to their position by playing the corporate backstabbing game better than anyone else. Studies have shown there are several times more psychopaths in corporate board rooms than in the general population. Overall most companies are very poorly run and even though the analysts don't realize it, they take that into account in their estimates.

On the other hand, there are some companies run by extremely talented people who are the right person in the right place at the right time. Those companies are going to vastly outperform the analysts expectations because the analysis doesn't do a good job of taking into account the exceptional talent of their leaders. These are things that are difficult to quantify and are fairly rate qualities.

There are people who have been hailed as visionary leaders of companies that turned out to be poor in the end, or something happened outside of their control. Kenny Lay and Jeff Skilling (Enron) were thought to be a visionary leaders, but really were just crooks running a complicated Ponzi scheme. (I was suspicious of Enron long before the fall, they weren't really producing anything of value.) Netscape came and went as a company, despite producing the best of the early web browsers. They were out competed by a bigger fish who entered the market aggressively.

Many analysts have been predicting that Tesla is going to go the way of Netscape because there are a lot of much bigger companies out there who will out compete them. It's possible a major car company will get serious about challenging Tesla, but so far Tesla has the winning strategy. If you look at the car industry as a whole, Tesla is competing in a very crowded market, but looking at it another way, Tesla is one of the early smart phones in a world of flip phones. The two technologies use the same backbone (cellular network in the case of phones and roads in the case of cars), but there are some fundamental differences. The biggest phone companies when the iPhone came along were Motorola, Nokia, and Blackberry. All are either minor players or gone as independent companies now. The two biggest phone makers are computer makers: Samsung and Apple.

Shifting the car industry is much slower because there is a much slower turnover and a car is a far more expensive and a much more difficult technology to change than a phone. You can completely change a phone by redesigning one chip and maybe a few other parts and the rest is software, but cars require many more parts and huge factories to build.

If you look at the differences in technology between an internal combustion engine (ICE) and a battery powered electric vehicle (BEV), there are a lot of differences. ICE have the advantage of a much more concentrated energy source, gasoline has about 33 KWh of energy per gallon and the Tesla battery pack is about 1 KWh per gallon of space. But EVs can be far more energy efficient, better torque, much more compact motor, much simpler driver train, etc. With the Model S, Tesla did what Elon Musk always does with a new project, they stripped everything down to basic principles and started over. What they ended up with was a revolutionary car design. I'm an engineer, it really is a totally revolutionary design.

Articles are abundant about the Tesla killer this or the Tesla killer that. But all the potential Tesla killers have fatal flaws. Faraday Future has an interesting design concept, but so far they appear to be run by amateurs who are good at a few things, but aren't good at all the things necessary to make a competitor to Tesla. The Bolt will be the first long range BEV in an affordable price range, but their fatal flaw is the same ones plaguing all the would be major car company competitors to Tesla: lack of battery production capability and lack of a long range charging network.

The majors are all banking on somebody magically building a high capacity charging network to service their long range EVs and it isn't happening. There are high speed charging standards, but while stations that meet the plug specification are being built, there are very few that can provided the necessary current being built because to build a true high speed charger, you need to tap directly into the neighborhood power grid, often with your own transformer rather than depend on what can be gotten from the breaker box on an established business. Additionally these stations have spotty maintenance records with many stations out of service for months at a time.

Tesla foresaw this and built their own superchargers to support their cars. Tesla is willing to share their network with anyone who wants to pay their fair share, but the majors are not willing to play with Tesla and want to ghettoize their standard, so they have come up with their own standards and asked the free market to provide the chargers. This problem is going to become a glaring one once other brands of long range BEVs become available and customers complain about spending 2-4 hours charging while on a road trip.

Tesla also foresaw the coming battery shortage and took steps to prevent it because nobody in the free market was doing the necessary work to expand capacity for mass produced BEVs.

GM is only planning on building about 30,000 Bolts a year (according to information leaked from suppliers who have been told this by GM) and LG Chem only has enough extra capacity to build about 52,000 Bolts a year (and likely hurting other company's BEV efforts in the process). That's barely more than what Tesla produced last year. GM has the know how to build 500,000 Bolts if they wanted to, but 450,000 of them would be lawn ornaments due to lack of batteries. Not a good business strategy.

Tesla on the other hand is laying all the groundwork necessary to build 500,000 cars a year. I'm skeptical they will reach this goal by 2020, but I do think they will make 500,000 BEVs a year before anyone else does.

The two key elements to this new technology is battery production and long range charging. At the current evolution of the competition, Tesla will be very well established in the center of the market before anybody can solve these two problems.

The competition, or their suppliers will have to build their own Gigafactories (or equivalent) to compete. It takes about 5 years to bring that much capacity online from start of construction. Tesla is just about ready to start ramping production (with Panasonic's expertise BTW) and the competition hasn't even started thinking about it yet. It's like trying to win the Olympic marathon when one guy is already running the race and the potential competitors are still eating breakfast or in the shower.

On long range charging Tesla is also way ahead of the competition, though the competition is hiding it behind their press releases. CCS is the standard adopted by European and American car makers and Chadamo is the standard from Japan. Both look good on paper with fairly high theoretical maximum charge currents. But actual installations tell a different story. Chadamo has been around longer and has more installations, but very few are even close to the max charging capability because of limitations in the infrastructure in which they are installed.

If the competition comes out with BEVs that sell, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but no established company is going to be able to make BEVs in anything like small numbers until next decade. That gives Tesla plenty of time to entrench in the market and they are already well on their way to that.

To put the battery situation into perspective, there are about 100 million passenger and light truck vehicles built every year. It takes a Gigafactory equivalent to build 500,000 long range BEVs. For BEVs to just get to 10% market share will take building another 19 Gigafactories. Nobody is willing to lay out that kind of capital in such a short time. The majors have the credit to build one or two, but the cost of a Gigafactory is equivalent of the entire R&D or entire capital budget for an entire year for the biggest car companies. It's a major expense for a technology the top brass of these companies are still tepid about. The only way so many Gigafactories are going to get built in the next decade is if the majors get spooked in a very serious way about the coming of BEVs and governments step in to help build them.

I suspect what will happen is the majors are going to wait until it's too late and then some will be too weak to survive and the others will shrink the company retooling for the new technology and only survive by their fingernails. Companies like Toyota will likely survive because of their size. Other companies like Fiat-Chysler and Subaru might be out of the car business when the dust settles.

Last edited:
I suspect what will happen is the majors are going to wait until it's too late and then some will be too weak to survive and the others will shrink the company retooling for the new technology and only survive by their fingernails. Companies like Toyota will likely survive because of their size. Other companies like Fiat-Chysler and Subaru might be out of the car business when the dust settles.
That is what happened to the tire industry and the film industry. No reason to believe it won't happen to the car industry because established corporations never learn.

Nah I'm good. But I love when people get upset about hearing rational arguments that call into question their religion. Until Tesla actually discloses revenue from Tesla Energy in its 10-Q, I will continue to assume this has zero revenue and it is a make-believe business. But you go right on believing it is a huge business.

BTW I have a 7.0kw solar panel array on my home and love it. I considered battery backup systems including the Tesla products, but they make zero economic sense due to the decades-long-payback period.

If others decide otherwise, I would love to hear your calculations. I am open to being proven wrong.

I think the gigafactory needs to be looked at from Tesla's perspective. They created a business plan the requires more than the world's production of Li-ion batteries. As a smallish companies, they couldn't get firm commitments from battery companies to produce the volume they required. So they are attempting to take control over this critical aspect of their business.

Gigafactory growth depends on partners, capital, and the cost/supply of batteries from outside companies. The apparent lack of expansion of the gigafactory should be of concern for TSLA holders. But this possible pause in construction is not necessarily a problem. A real problem would lack of car demand. A real problem would be inability to position the M3 to make some profit on 2018 battery costs.

A lot will be learned over the next six months. The solaredge inverter is finished, so Tesla can now sell powerwalls. The M3 will be revealed, so some estimation of profitability can be made.

"No plan survives first contact with the enemy". Tesla's plans were never going to unfold exactly as initially presented. If the capital or partner relationships for the gigafactory don't happen as initially projected, this is not necessarily a big problem. As long as Tesla can acquire batteries and produce reasonably profitable products with those batteries they will do fine.

I do think we will get from Musk an update on the gigafactory and batteries later this year. But that may come when they seek more capital. The best time to acquire more capital will be when they have 1) A big book of M3 orders, 2) MX in full production, and 3) Cash flow neutral. One reason for a pause in gigafactory construction would be point #3.

... and I just think it is very unlikely it will make any money. I see zero sales as of right now.

You have *got* to be kidding! Tesla have already sold all their 2016 production for the Powerwall. Just do the sums on how much money can be saved merely charging up at night on cheap electricity to use it during more expensive times of the day and you'll see just how utterly ubiquitous 'storage' is going to become. Just about every house will have at least one.

On top of that is the ability to save even more money by using 'free' electricty from your PV array to charge up your storage. And that's just the domestic scene. Industrial use will be just as popular. Just can't see where you are getting your logic from... MW

Amazing the disconnect from reality. Tesla has sold no Powerwalls. Go to the website. You will be able to simply make a "reservation" which is a form where you enter our name and email address. That is all you can do. Nothing has been sold. Amazing how people live in their own imaginary worlds. Just listen...zero sales. Say it. Q4 2015 shareholder letter will mention again, ZERO SALES of imaginary Powerwalls. And when they do sell them, they will be at a loss. Go read articles about the plethora of giant Asian companies making these same home storage batteries. God I wish I could short just the Powerwalls component of Tesla.

Amazing the disconnect from reality. Tesla has sold no Powerwalls. Go to the website. You will be able to simply make a "reservation" which is a form where you enter our name and email address. That is all you can do. Nothing has been sold. Amazing how people live in their own imaginary worlds. Just listen...zero sales. Say it. Q4 2015 shareholder letter will mention again, ZERO SALES of imaginary Powerwalls. And when they do sell them, they will be at a loss. Go read articles about the plethora of giant Asian companies making these same home storage batteries. God I wish I could short just the Powerwalls component of Tesla.
So passionate. Why do you care? Place your bet and state your opinion. Do you really believe you can talk the stock down? Oh yeah your just trying to save an investor

image.png

Last edited:
... Go to the website. You will be able to simply make a "reservation" which is a form where you enter our name and email address. That is all you can do. Nothing has been sold...
Just because you can't order one doesn't mean nobody has bought one.

TBH I don't know any Powerwall installs (apart from prototypes) but there are already Powerpack installs in the field, and I don't think Tesla gave them away. Whatever the number of sales is, it's more than zero.

By this argument, Tesla will only sell about 1000 cars this year because that's about the number delivered thus far this year and they will deliver no more. Are you shorting Apple because they haven't delivered the Apple car yet?

Tesla has a track record of delivering what they demo. It may not be on time, but they do deliver. They have yet to make a major announcement about a product and not deliver it eventually. The batteries for most Powerwall and Powerpacks will be built at the Gigafactory, which is nearing completion of phase 1, but isn't online yet.

Tesla has reservations for Powerwalls and Powerpacks. It is bad sales projection to assume 100% of those will cancel.

If you're serious about making money on Tesla stock, I suggest you go back and make reasonable predictions rather than completely write off the Powerwall because sales thus far are zero and I haven't seen you even mention the Powerpack in your analysis. Personally I think the Powerpack will be the big money maker over the long run.

The way you're going, you're probably going to lose a lot of money shorting Tesla. Even if the price right now is a bit inflated, based on the holes in your analysis alone I would say the target price is much more than $25 a share. Earlier in this thread or one of the others (may have been the long term fundamentals thread), you said when you plugged in the numbers somebody else in the thread gave, you came up with a target price of $280 or something like that. That tells me your formula has a lot of volatility in the variables and small changes can make a huge difference to the target. Considering the current price is closer to the $280 number than your number, I would say most stock analysts out there are using future production numbers closer to what the other person said in the thread than your numbers. Or they are using a different formula that comes up with a suspiciously close number.

It's probably a lot easier to just throw your money into a bonfire than short Tesla as much as you're doing.

As I've said before, Tesla may fail and their products may not light the world on fire, but so far they have and so far they have eventually come to market with every major product they demoed. As I said, they are terrible about R&D schedules, but they get there. Again I recommend reading the book on Elon Musk from Alshlee Vance. I think it should be required reading for anyone who is trying to make money on Tesla stock. How can you understand where the stock is going if you don't understand the most important component of the equation?

Well, my comments on 2016 PowerWall production all being 'sold' were obviously referring to reservations rather than actually sold products - pretty obviously, really, as they can't have been sold if they haven't been made yet. But why reserve something if you don't intend buying it?

Anyway, from a moral perspective, I'd much rather support a fledgling company buy investing in its stock than encouraging it to fail by shorting it. Call me naive if you will, but we are talking about a US product, built (in the main) by US citizens that absolutely deserves to succeed (and I'm not even a Yank!).

As for the M3, barring some cosmic issue with the GigaFactory, I have a suspicion that it may arrive a lot earlier than people think...

Well, my comments on 2016 PowerWall production all being 'sold' were obviously referring to reservations rather than actually sold products - pretty obviously, really, as they can't have been sold if they haven't been made yet. But why reserve something if you don't intend buying it?

Anyway, from a moral perspective, I'd much rather support a fledgling company buy investing in its stock than encouraging it to fail by shorting it. Call me naive if you will, but we are talking about a US product, built (in the main) by US citizens that absolutely deserves to succeed (and I'm not even a Yank!).

As for the M3, barring some cosmic issue with the GigaFactory, I have a suspicion that it may arrive a lot earlier than people think...

I'm sure there will be some cancellations, people have changing situations between when they put down the deposit and when the product is available. In the case of the Model S and X there were some people who canceled because they didn't like the final product too. Though that is somewhat less likely with the Powerwall. People are much more sensitive about what their car looks like than an appliance mounted to the wall of their garage.

The US has moved into a bean counter culture. About the only industry where it is rare is high tech. The market is very bean counter oriented with the majority of stockholders out to make the fastest buck possible. That isn't the way it always was. The volume on the stock exchanges was far lower before the bean counters started driving the market. There is also much more money in the market now because it's one of the few ways to make a return on investments. It used to be that low risk investors could make a decent return by putting their money in CDs in the bank, but with CD rates below 1%, anyone who wants to just make the inflation rate is in the stock market.

My 96 year old father was lamenting that it's the only way to make a return. When his parents were getting up there, anyone their age had their money in safer investments than the stock market.

There are also a lot of institutional investors with money from pension funds or other similar assets putting money in the stock market because there is no better way to make a decent return. So we have casino capitalism going on with the bulk of investors in the market looking to make a fast buck and what the company is or is not doing really doesn't matter. To them Tesla is the same as a company making corn syrup laced drinks or making aircraft carriers. It's all about how the stock is going to perform with little interest in what the company makes.

The bulk of Tesla's long term investors are more ideologically motivated. They tend to believe, in part or in whole in Tesla's mission and they want to see it happen. And there is a deep divide between the two camps.

There aren't any actual power wall "reservations". Tesla is just collecting names and passes the information as a sales lead to the solar company that is a powerwall reseller. The interface box that solaredge has manufactured doesn't work with any inverter manufacturers before 2015 Q4.

Last edited: