Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough "SeekingAlpha.com" Model 3/Tesla Blog Piece. Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are under the assumption the supplier will not leak out NDA'd info to the public, I don't find it suspicious at all. Plus, if you're telling a supplier that orders for parts and equipment are being slashed immensely, you better have a good explanation besides "well....bottlenecks!".
I disagree. First of all for the suppliers, Tesla is the customer. They don't owe them anything other than assurances that the quantities are correct and what the new timeline is. Do you think Tesla is telling their suppliers anything other than what they have a need to know? Even with NDAs in place, you are cautious. The story does not smell right. Maybe it is, but considering the source.....

Here's the thing... it is true that Tesla is having problems. We know there are problems with assembling battery packs. Likely, they are also having problems getting the assembly line to 5k/week.

If a supplier has been making parts at the requested 5k/week rate, at some point, they will have to back off even if Tesla achieves 2k or 3k/week in the short term. There's just an accumulation of parts and they don't have enough room for it until Tesla's assembly line woes are solved. There are reports of 20,000+ sets of parts waiting. So it is possible for the comments to be both reasonably accurate and not particularly alarming given we already know they are late.

Reactions: Topher
From what I've read this is the essence:
He said that while Tesla may have the right robots, making them production ready is a highly specialized skill set and they don't have it.
Apart from the fact that it's hearsay, is this likely?
If so, Tesla bought a million dollar robot and 'forgot' to hire the right personnel. On top of that they aren't able to hire them.
Remember this is costing them millions of dollars a day, so they must be prepared to spend a lot hiring the right personnel. Wouldn't they be able to find them? Seems highly unlikely to me.

All and all I'd say the probability that the alarming message of this article is true, is very small.
Probably a story blown up. Happens a lot with hearsay.

Last edited:
Tried to read it but SA have firmly established themselves as 'I know someone who knows someone who saw somebody that looked like they might know....' kind of journalism. Hate to even use the word journalism in the same sentence.
Nice try though.

It’s a blog site, not journalism. Their explicit policy is literally not to edit for content. Anyone can become a contributor, it’s not about having qualifications to write news, because it is literally a blog site. There are no articles on Seeking Alpha.

The issue is not that Seeking Alpha exists, plenty of blog sites exist, the issue is that it shows up in news feeds like on google. I don’t know if that is google being lax, SA playing games, or some combination.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and TQCLove
When I see they are the source of an article I don't bother to read it. It doesn't take long to see the type of "stories" they like to put out there.

And when a company spends this kind of money on equipment, no doubt they are getting technical help from the manufacturer as they work out the programmed routines. I don't think anyone thought this was going to be up and running right off the bat without adjustments being made and testing on site. I'm sure the vast majority if not nearly all of the people with reservations knew chances were that this would cause some delays beyond best expectations. Some reservation holders couldn't wait for various reasons and either cancelled or they decided to buy a MS but the overwhelming majority of us are still here. I'm sure it kills some of these auto guys and financial types that Tesla has such a devoted owner base.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saghost