Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking driver from CA to TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to fly to LA to pick up a 2014 P85 with AP1 and drive it home to Austin. But I'm getting some pressure from family to not make the drive, and not to drag my 9 year old on a 30-40 hour drive...so I'm considering shipping but also would consider someone driving. Although adding 1500 miles is not ideal, it's a very low mileage car so not a major concern.

Any thoughts on this? It's something I need to decide about in the next few hours since my flight is in 6 hours. I could also go over christmas with my girlfriend when I don't have my son, and make it more of a fun trip.

All suggestions welcome!
He will learn far more about the country, geography, weather, the car, and most importantly , his father in those coupla days than anywhere else on the planet ! go NAY NAY !

Best way to learn about your new car is to do some traveling in it.

Willcox, AZ just opened, so almost a straight shot across SouthWestern USA should you want to return directly back.

Maybe take some short breaks on your drive, lots of very interesting areas and sites to visit and explore that you would absolutely miss by taking a flight.

Take your son and do it. When will you get a chance to do a trip like this again? My wife and I have done many road trips across the US. Traveling in a Tesla is much less fatiguing. Often Superchargers are at interesting places that you wouldn't normally stop. Book a hotel with a destination charger or near a Supercharger. Our best day we traveled about 836 miles. This was in the summer so the day had a lot of sunlight. I think you could drive from OC to Austin in two days but it would include a lot of night driving. The deer at night in east Texas are something else when it come to road hazards. My wife hated road trips until we got our first Tesla, now she loves traveling by Tesla. FYI we always just used the Tesla navigation for charging and never had a problem in 40K miles. Just allow room for wind using more energy.

Take your son and do it. When will you get a chance to do a trip like this again? My wife and I have done many road trips across the US. Traveling in a Tesla is much less fatiguing. Often Superchargers are at interesting places that you wouldn't normally stop. Book a hotel with a destination charger or near a Supercharger. Our best day we traveled about 836 miles. This was in the summer so the day had a lot of sunlight. I think you could drive from OC to Austin in two days but it would include a lot of night driving. The deer at night in east Texas are something else when it come to road hazards. My wife hated road trips until we got our first Tesla, now she loves traveling by Tesla. FYI we always just used the Tesla navigation for charging and never had a problem in 40K miles. Just allow room for wind using more energy.

Seriously, why would you pay someone to do it if you have the time and can make for some good memories with the kid(s)?

Reactions: Buddyroe
Sure.. if it is a made for TV Hallmark movie starring Rob Lowe. ;)

OP is leaving tonight for flight
3 hours drive to airport and thru security
3.5 hours flight
1 hour stuck in LAX Friday night traffic to get to hotel
Pick up car tomorrow morning
20+ hours driving + 6 to 8 hours of charging

OP was kind of spot on with his original post of 30 to 40 hours of driving/flying. I don't any 9 years old would think it is fun after 8 hours is my guess!
I think you might be surprised. Kids value time with their parents. I stand by my recommendation.