Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Engineer to discuss X drivetrain vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My crude guess is, that there is a spline shaft that has difference lengths of “engagement” depending on suspension height. When the vehicle is on a higher suspension setting the spline has less engagement and therefore more play (allowing it to wobble, under load).

My crude guess is, that there is a spline shaft that has difference lengths of “engagement” depending on suspension height. When the vehicle is on a higher suspension setting the spline has less engagement and therefore more play (allowing it to wobble, under load).
Yes we know the root cause but we need an engineer to acknowledge. I don’t want to say too much yet but I’ll report more as it develops.

Reactions: jewilson2
I am an retired engineer and has experience and degree in mechanical engineering, especially regarding rolling brgs and similar devices. Live in Sweden and own a model x raven with some vibrations.
I am curious why you need an engineer? Exactly to what purpose?

My personal idea of the trouble with tesla vibrations is to be found in the tripod design of the inner joint when the angle is higher.
Other car makers use another better design. i think Tesla will have more or less the same problem if they don´t change the principal design in accordance with what other car makers do.

I have a 2020 Model X and I noticed, even right after purchasing the vehicle that when I punched it, the rear end had a vibration, almost like a slight slipping of a clutch. Not a big problem and it didn't seem to affect performance. I wasn't sure that if it was the motors just vibrating a bit when they were issuing maximum torque.

Recently, it has done it a few times when accelerating after backing out of my driveway. Definitely not mashing the pedal in my neighborhood.

Curious if this is the vibration you describe. It didn't sound like a nasty metal on metal grind, however.

<EDIT> I just saw this thread The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020) so maybe that is my problem. Definitely running a newer model, so it should have the factory fix.
</EDIT>

Last edited: