Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking help with USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For about 2-3 months now I have been having a problem with the USB. I can only get it to work if I re-boot (foot on brake; hold two rollong knobs in until the "T" shows up). However, it stops working if the car sits idle for a few hours (meaning every morning I have to re-boot if I want to use the USB for music). Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would remove the USB, stick it in a PC, and do a chkdsk on it, or click it in Disk Manager, Properties, Tools, Error Checking and check it for errors. It may have some errors in the file structure or allocations. Apple I am sure also can check for errors on a disk.

Thank you DerbyDave----my daughter and son-in-law are the computer gurus in our family. I will show them your suggestion and let them have at it next weekend when they stop over. My gut is telling me it has something to do with a Tesla update or something as it has worked fine for years, unless of course these USB's deteriorate over time and that is the problem. Thanks again.

Music USBs have been quirky for a long time, so consider yourself lucky that you’ve only had issues for a few months. In my case, the music USB isn’t recognized when I first get in the car much of the time, but it will show up if I wait long enough. If it doesn’t show up, removing and reinserting it always works. I’ve never had to reboot.

PS: Pressing the brake while rebooting makes no difference. It might have at some point in the past, because a lot of people have heard that.

Music USBs have been quirky for a long time, so consider yourself lucky that you’ve only had issues for a few months. In my case, the music USB isn’t recognized when I first get in the car much of the time, but it will show up if I wait long enough. If it doesn’t show up, removing and reinserting it always works. I’ve never had to reboot.

PS: Pressing the brake while rebooting makes no difference. It might have at some point in the past, because a lot of people have heard that.

Thanks EV------I will try removing and reinserting for a few days and see what happens. I have tried it a few times, and one time it worked on a delay of about 10 minutes..........the other times when I was going for 10 minutes or longer I forgot about doing it. I will try it consistently this week.

We don't use the tesla cam in either of our cars (2017- S and 2019- 3). The camera was just a huge pita. We couldn't shut it off; it came on every time we started the car and near the end the only way we could get it to go off was to pull the usb. And, ( I realize this is our short coming), we could never figure out the playback, etc.----we are older and have limited IT skills (patience) with some of the hi tech stuff.

Reactions: DerbyDave
@red2017s some things to check

You should be using a high-speed, high-endurance MicroSD with a USB adapter and not a standard USB thumb drive. This probably means nothing to you so ask your computer gurus.

You should ensure Sentry mode is off: Controls > Safety & Security > Sentry Mode

And with the car in park, look near the top right. If you see a camera with a red dot at the lower right, touch the camera to turn it off.

Good luck!

If it doesn't do anything different then why does tesla still tell people to do it after doing just the 2 thumb salute doesn't work? Because holding the brake does a more deep reboot which is why when you hold the brake pedal it takes much longer to reboot than when you don't.

If it doesn't do anything different then why does tesla still tell people to do it after doing just the 2 thumb salute doesn't work? Because holding the brake does a more deep reboot which is why when you hold the brake pedal it takes much longer to reboot than when you don't.
Tesla staff are not always well informed, and the manual doesn’t say anything about holding the brake during a reboot. Maybe it does something, but then why not document it?

ATPMSD----I just double checked. The camera, sentry and dashcam are all off. I know sometimes after updates some settings can get changed, but I usually go in and double check. Thanks for the suggestion though. And thanks to both you and Shawn for the USB info. Both my daughter and son-in-law work in IT security and are our go-to people (we babysit their 5 year daughter 4 days a week so we get pretty good service). I will show them the info you folks were so kind to pass along----thank you again as your help is greatly appreciated.

Today I did unplug the USB and plugged it right back in------the USB worked for my 2-3 short trips today. And if history repeats itself, it will be off tomorrow morning, but if it keeps coming back on if I just have to remove it and plug it back in I will be happy until my daughter has the time to give look at it.