TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seeking Scratch Repair Advice

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by UberEV1, Jan 4, 2015.

1. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

It finally happened to us too . . .

After parking the car in my brother's garage, we opened the tailgate and forgot to check the clearance. His garage being smaller than ours, the inevitable happened and the tailgate hit one of the garage door slat hinges - Ouch! The scratch isn't too big and it doesn't look to have dented or deformed the metal itself. So, what would be the best way to repair this (seems repainting the entire tailgate might be going overboard)? And, any recommendations for somebody in the San Jose area who would do a great job?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1899.JPG

2. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

Bump: Anyone out there who has had to repair similar size scratches?

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Time to visit a detailer. It doesn't look too serious, but while I'm pretty comfortable with paint repairs, I'm not sure even I would touch that. There are two spots that look pretty deep, but those other white lines may buff out with some polishing compound.

Certainly if you take it to the body shop you'll get the default "repaint the trunk" response, so definitely see if someone can correct it first.

4. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

So sorry to see the damage.
    If they do repaint the entire trunk, that is not to be afraid of.
    Touch-ups look good when new but with time they show.
    I would prefer a full repaint.
    ~Larry

5. drsaab

drsaab Member

U can try dr colorchip for touch up. Wont match painting it obviously, but will fill up the scratch better than it looks now and better than a touch up pen.

6. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

UPDATE

Before going to a full lift gate re-paint, which is always a fall-back option, I looked first into doing a spot repair. I discovered a local auto paint repair service (Finish Line Painting) that came to me, positioned the car for best lighting and then completed the repair in about 2 hours. It was a bit more involved than I expected (sanded out / repaired scratches, sanded down clear left and right to allow for color blending, primed, painted color, painted clear, polished). The result looks very, very good (see below)! Under certain direct sun conditions, it is possible to see (barely) the blend transitions on each side, but if you didn't know to look for them, you wouldn't notice anything. My wife thought I was crazy because she couldn't see it at all. So, at least for now, I seem to have a very good solution at a very reasonable price.

For those of you in the SF Bay Area, the contact information is below. Glen told me that he has been doing this for 30+ years, frequently does repairs on exotic cars and was directly supporting the Tesla Factory on the first 1000 Model S builds as they worked out issues on the line. Very nice guy and someone to know.

Glen Machado
    Finish Line Painting
    408-482-1150
    [email protected]

Scratch repair.png

7. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Wow, that's a terrific repair. I'd be pleased as well. He seems to have gotten a little over enthusiastic and painted over the T emblem ;)

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Could always stick it back on. It had to come off to repaint, and likely can't be reinstalled until the paint has cured for some time since it wasn't baked.

Repair looks fantastic. I'll keep Glen in mind.

9. eco5280

eco5280 Member

I'm beginning to think that nobody on this forum, even when they see a WINKING SMILEY FACE can understand a joke.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Or maybe that we understood the "joke" and thought someone might be interested to know why it's like that?

11. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

I wondered why he needed to use 3 gallons of bondo..??.. (JK) :wink:

Actually, I haven't reinstalled the "T" yet since I was considering adding Artsci's lighted T. And now I have the flexibility to install it upside down if desired. :biggrin:

12. kp.sfo

kp.sfo Member

Thank you UberEV1 for sharing. This looks terrific. Bookmarked on yelp for future reference...

13. alohates1a

alohates1a Member

Another "thanks for sharing" and glad this worked out for you. Hope it will be years (or never) that I have to utilize this service source but good to know that he is in the bay area!

It actually looks pretty clean, de-badged without the T logo :)

14. mmh

mmh Member

Thanks for the update, looks very nice.

On a side note, I love the debadged look. I removed the logos from mine within 8 hours of owning it:

IMG_1739.jpg

15. EBill

EBill Member

Pictures of debadged look but with rear lighted T and red letters on the Tesla.

lightedt_r_01.jpg lightedt_r_02.jpg

Now that the rear "T" is off you have no template to install it again. I had a similar problem when installing my lighted T as the shop doing the XPEL wrap took off the T before I could measure the location. Fortunately another Tesla was nearby and I could measure the distances:
    -The bottom of the T is 3.8 cm from the bottom of the hatch lid
    -The top of the arch is 2.2 cm from the top of the hatch lid
    -There is a 3mm gap between the arch and the T.
    The contours of the T will also help guide you to fit it into the right place on the hatch.