Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-driving Model S driver caught asleep and drunk by CHP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the one hand, this driver benefited from his AutoPilot in the sense that it kept him in a lane and moving along, apparently safely, for some time. And he was fortunate that the trooper knew enough about how AP worked that he could bring the car to a stop without physically interfering (he did not need to ram the car or use tire spikes, etc.). All good. On the other hand, the driver was indeed lucky that the road he was on apparently had good clear uninterrupted lane markings for the whole distance he traveled while asleep. All he'd have needed for a drastically different outcome would be for a gap in lane markings, or a lane drop or merge that his AP could not interpret.
What I cannot decided is whether or not this incident shows the benefit of AP, or the risk. I think it is a bit of both.
I suppose what it shows more than anything else is that impaired drivers make poor decisions.

I mean everyone is leaning toward AP or some sort of defeat but if the road was straight there's the possibility he was just using the adaptive cruise control which makes more sense if it lasted for 7 minutes and auto braked for the vehicles in front.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hota
I can't keep the nagging nag away with both hands on the wheel for that long on a straightaway without it cancelling. Oh well I guess a drunk hand "appears" more reliable to the AP HW than an attentive driver with both hands on the wheel.

BTW the that thread title "Self-driving Model S driver caught asleep and drunk by CHP" I pre-paid for FSD and still don't have it almost 2 years later. ;)

I mean everyone is leaning toward AP or some sort of defeat but if the road was straight there's the possibility he was just using the adaptive cruise control which makes more sense if it lasted for 7 minutes and auto braked for the vehicles in front.

Not likely where he was. Plenty of idiots game the AP system and it is very unlikely he drove 7 min on the 101 without drifting significantly.