Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self inflicted damage [what is this going to cost to fix?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

So I managed to accumulate the following self inflicted damages on my MYLR. Mainly driver side door and rocker panel, with impact on the handle in the process. Some scuff marks and scratches on rear bumper too. I’ve booked an appointment at the nearest TSC but wanted to get a sense of what to expect in terms of cost / time. Is this fixable at a TSC even or will I end up at a collision center? What’s the difference between them?

Thank you,
Ro

Attachments

• IMG_4488.jpeg
    IMG_4488.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_4487.jpeg
    IMG_4487.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_4486.jpeg
    IMG_4486.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4485.jpeg
    IMG_4485.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4484.jpeg
    IMG_4484.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 162
SC won’t fix that, you have to take it to a collision center. Some dents can be fixed by PDR, minor scratches can be touched up to almost not noticeable. I scraped my doors while quarter and rocker panel while parking, cost is 10k+ in TCC with Tesla insurance (50% parts discounted), otherwise should 13k. They replaced one door, quarter/rocker panels, took almost two months including waiting in the queue and parts.

IMG_5107.jpeg

Thank you for the replies. I did this all over months because of parking gaffes. This sounds like it’s gonna be a headache all around. Cost is one thing but the wait times are ridiculous too. I checked everywhere today and they’re only talking appointments 2-3 months out currently.

Is it this tedious to repair collision damages for other car makes too?

Pretty much every reputable shop is busy like that. Model 3/Y parts are easier to get, but there are still the usual wrong parts, right part ring side got delivered problem. Once they got all the parts, fixing minor damages are quick, but they won’t start until they got all the parts as they cannot afford to have one car blocked the spot while it sit and wait. Insurance is what It is for.

Thank you for your response. You’re right. I just checked and my insurance does cover this because I have collision coverage. How bad is the premium increase typically for such cases and given the repair cost estimate in the $10-15K range?

Curious, did you file a collision claim or a comprehensive claim?
I’m still working on the estimates. The agent said file under collision. I’ll be able to claim expenses for a rental car too.

Are you sure you wanna get those fixed now? I would wait a little, at least until you're comfortable with the dimensions of your car and parking.
Yeah I’m ready to get it fixed. I was in a weird headspace and trying an impossible maneuver. Never again. I’ve had the car for over a year now ironically.

youre looking at at least 5k in repairs right there
$5K would be a dream. Rear bumper replacement alone at TSC was $2K. Since this is bolted panel and damage on metal parts, I’m expecting a $10-$15K estimate. I’ll update this post when I get more info.

Reactions: zoomer0056
This damage is a little over $16,000 because rocker panel and beleive it our not windshield needs replacement. If the car panels were made of steel a simple dent wizard could have made the fix. If you do not use authorized Tesla body shop your warranty is void and you can no longer use Tesla super charger and no more updates. Tesla is not alone as more and more OEM's are going to aluminium skin. About two months in repair shop. I hate to think what insurance will cost next renewal. Still love my Tesla this damage was my bad.
IMG_2160 2.jpeg

This damage is a little over $16,000 because rocker panel and beleive it our not windshield needs replacement. If the car panels were made of steel a simple dent wizard could have made the fix. If you do not use authorized Tesla body shop your warranty is void and you can no longer use Tesla super charger and no more updates. Tesla is not alone as more and more OEM's are going to aluminium skin. About two months in repair shop. I hate to think what insurance will cost next renewal. Still love my Tesla this damage was my bad.View attachment 980339
Huh? Source for those claims?

Huh? Source for those claims?
This damage is a little over $16,000 because rocker panel and beleive it our not windshield needs replacement. If the car panels were made of steel a simple dent wizard could have made the fix. If you do not use authorized Tesla body shop your warranty is void and you can no longer use Tesla super charger and no more updates. Tesla is not alone as more and more OEM's are going to aluminium skin. About two months in repair shop. I hate to think what insurance will cost next renewal. Still love my Tesla this damage was my bad.View attachment 980339
Just watched this video on PDR repairs and your case would be perfect, paint is still in place and "simple" crease. The PDR repair should not void the warranty since no panels are removed or replaced.

Thank you for the replies. I did this all over months because of parking gaffes. This sounds like it’s gonna be a headache all around. Cost is one thing but the wait times are ridiculous too. I checked everywhere today and they’re only talking appointments 2-3 months out currently.

Is it this tedious to repair collision damages for other car makes too?
A friend with an Infinity waited months for a new body panel.